Should Bestival leave the Isle Of Wight?

Guest hawkzred

For me the answer has to be yes.

Living in the central belt of Scotland I have to travel a lot to get to any festival and if Bestival was on the mainland I would have went this year.

The cost of the ferry made the whole thing not worth it even if it sounds amazing.

It really is a shame because I think the line up is brilliant and the whole Bestival experience sounds great.

its an interesting question, the chaos at IOW puts me off abit. However its so far down south that I don't mind making the treck, i look at other fests down south and think naah but this is like going on holiday!!! although the ques for everything in terms of getting in need a good looking into.

The only thing I hate about it being on IoW is the thought of queing for the foot passenger ferry on Monday being hungover with all my gear, it's only an hour back home West of London on the train after the ferry, & I never seem to be able to carry as much alcohol with me so end up spending a fair bit.

Maybe having it on the IoW puts off "casual" festival goers that may cause some trouble found at festivals like V (easy to get to) & Reading (teens can't afford the travel)?

I really get the impression that people who go through all the hassle to get to Bestival (& Glasto) embrace & make the most of the festival more. Like a reward for getting there. Rather than the reckless & destructive enjoyment Reading attendees seem to enjoy. Not been to V but I've heard a fair few stories.

I say keep it on the IoW & keep it our end of summer secret. Robin Hill Park is a great location except for that f**king hill walking down into campsite.

Foot passenger may only be £20 or so, but then without a car you can't take much booze. I don't really like spirits so I'd probably end up spending £150 on beer, it's why I've just come to the realisation whilst writing this that I'm not gonna be able to afford it :(

Edited by Bradders

You would expect the ferry operators to all be competing with one another for the festival traffic, which would bring costs down and make the process more attractive for punters, but in reality it seems more like they have all agreed to fix the same discouraging prices amongst themselves.

I must admit the travelling was really putting me off going. I'll give it a go this year and if I enjoy it I probably will go back but it is alot of hassle getting there and back. I'd much prefer if I could just jump on a coach in Glasgow and head straight to the fest like we do for Glastonbury, yes it's a long journey but I'd reather that than having to lug my stuff off a plane, then onto a train, then onto a ferry then onto a bus.

Would the train not be similar to getting the coach? Or is that too expensive? I think if I was in your situation I'd spend the Wednesday/or any day before as a travelling day to get there so as not to be stressed out for the first day of the fest. Sleep in the car nearby, camp or cheap hostel.

Got to agree with worthyraver in that it's a cracking site. I have had my two best non Glasto festival experiences at Bestival and am looking forward to my third this year. Also, apart from the cost, I actually like the little ferry ride. It adds to the adventure.

As the saying goes - if it isn't broken don't fix it.