The Non-Headlining Acts 2013

Guest GlastoSimon

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you all reckon the only spot Suede could play would be Other headliner?

They're popularity was mentioned as similar to Primal Scream and the Flips earlier. I seem to remember these 2 being around everywhere when I was younger (I'm 22). Seems weird for you guys to consider them an equal draw when I'd literally never encountered Suede, as far as I know.

Is this appeal based somewhat on the whole "reformedness" aspect, like many bands nowadays? Bands that might not headline fests if they'd never split i.e. Faith no More, Ratm etc....

So you all reckon the only spot Suede could play would be Other headliner?

They're popularity was mentioned as similar to Primal Scream and the Flips earlier. I seem to remember these 2 being around everywhere when I was younger (I'm 22). Seems weird for you guys to consider them an equal draw when I'd literally never encountered Suede, as far as I know.

Is this appeal based somewhat on the whole "reformedness" aspect, like many bands nowadays? Bands that might not headline fests if they'd never split i.e. Faith no More, Ratm etc....[/quote

No, Suede were big when they split.]

Suede are an odditity regarding festival slots, not unlike James. I don't think they're as widely popular as Primal Scream and wouldn't get as good a spot at most festivals. In the right circumstances and setting they can get a good slot (ie Latitude) and a new record and Glastonbury may well be the right circumstances and setting but I'm not convinced they'd headline the Other.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49196-the-strokes-to-release-new-single-all-the-time/

APPARENTLY The Strokes have a new single coming out. possible appearance? probably not, but just sayin'

looking over the lineups am i to believe that The Strokes have never played Glastonbury!? i find that very odd. any particular reason known or has it just never happened?

they subbed Swedish House Mafia on the second stage at T In The Park in 2011 so they can't be too bothered about being headliners these days

and i agree about the 'how they remain headliners' remark. a mystery to me as well. one massive album, one pretty good album and two disappointing albums - for any other band they'd be sliding down the lineups by now. i think people just refuse to believe that The Strokes just aren't very good

http://pitchfork.com/news/49196-the-strokes-to-release-new-single-all-the-time/

APPARENTLY The Strokes have a new single coming out. possible appearance? probably not, but just sayin'

looking over the lineups am i to believe that The Strokes have never played Glastonbury!? i find that very odd. any particular reason known or has it just never happened?

I guess we'll all have to agree to disagree on the Suede issue but I'd still say theyre too big to headline the John Peel. There is definitely more demand to see them than there is for acts mentioned like Ash or Echo and the Bunnymen and personally I'd say they have far more mainstream songs than an act like The Flaming Lips. I really don't care, I just hope they play as I'll definitely be there.