Lineup 2014

Hawky

I've almost been looking forward to Pitchfork's review of it more than the album itself recently, it'll either be a 10.0 or <6.0.

Agreed, Pitchfork I think are brilliant at not overmarking albums based on hype. They're not scared to give their babies (Radiohead) mediocre reviews if the stuff is mediocre. Still, I think this will be a high score just because of how much feature they've done on it - they heard it weeks ago so if they thought it was bad they could have ignore it

I'd bet money it'll be above 8 - I'm more bothered about what they actually say though, of course

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gucci Piggy

• the wonderwhy

• dentalplan

• Com Truise

Hmm, picking a top 5 is hard. Definitely Foals & QOTSA & Daughter top 3. The probably Phoenix & BRMC squeezing in.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, Amok was absolute shite :P

I thought Amok was fantastic, but to be fair I am a Thom Yorke junkie haha, critical reception to it seemed quite positive though! It just struck me as King Of Limbs Part 2, but I can 100% anyone who'd listen to it and just think well this is shit hahaha

I thought Amok was fantastic, but to be fair I am a Thom Yorke junkie haha, critical reception to it seemed quite positive though! It just struck me as King Of Limbs Part 2, but I can 100% anyone who'd listen to it and just think well this is shit hahaha

Meh, I just found it boring & totally disappointing compared to the singles (JJ&E mainly). I was disappointed by Bowie too :P

Really? Pitchfork gave it a shitty review, and you don't get bigger Thom Yorke junkies than Pitchfork

Right, so (not in order), Foals, Queens, Daughter, Phoenix, BRMC, Savages, Primal Scream, Peace, Parquet Courts, FIDLAR, Strokes, Tribes, Daft Punk, Joy Formidable, ASIWYFA, Frightened Rabbit, Suede Justin Timberlake... plus I'm gonna count The Cribs Payola. Pretty good year?

Really? Pitchfork gave it a shitty review, and you don't get bigger Thom Yorke junkies than Pitchfork

Wasn't that shitty. More than The Eraser and that was rather good. I would have given it almost the same mark, it was alright for what it was. Too many people were expecting Radiohead.

My top five for the year would be: QOTSA, Vampire Weekend, The Strokes, Suede, Wavves. Followed by many other good albums. 2013 was always gonna trash 2012 for album quality really.

Edited by dentalplan

Daft Punks hype is definitely crazy atm, but it is another solid daft punk album, alongside discovery for me. Besides I think the magic of them comes out in their live shows then their albums anyway, and they will no doubt be on many festivals hitlists for next year - and whoever gets them will be a lucky bugger.

QOTSA's album is amazing however. I don't know if thats just because its nice to see a return to form after the arguably mediocre Era Vulgaris, but it is sweet. Still don't think headline capable, but certainly a very strong sub.

In regards to Reading bands, Biffy's album is still my favourite, just so epic and varied. BHTH have had a good year with theirs too. Frank Turners is just what I expected it to be, and didnt really affect me too much, but will be good on a summer drive I'm sure.

Wouldn't say shitty they gave it a 6.9... and it's got 76 on metacritic so it's been generally quite positive reception

So what is there to look forward to this year? (now that i've killed off QOTSA). I can't think of many people releasing new material. Arctic Monkeys have one coming out later in the year i believe.

Kanye Wests' will be interesting, apparently it's insane from early previews. Heard some nobodies say there are songs where he's literally screaming down the mic (these nobodies probably know nothing)

So what is there to look forward to this year? (now that i've killed off QOTSA). I can't think of many people releasing new material. Arctic Monkeys have one coming out later in the year i believe.

Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action...26/08/2013!!! :D

Kanye Wests' will be interesting, apparently it's insane from early previews. Heard some nobodies say there are songs where he's literally screaming down the mic (these nobodies probably know nothing)

All sorts - depends what you're into. Some rumours are Arcade Fire, Eminem, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Sigur Ros, Editors, Gogol Bordello, Black Keys, MGMT, Foster the People, Beady Eye, Boards of Canada...

Edited by dentalplan

Seriously cannot wait for it, really hope it is June 18th :P

From what I watched of Hudson Mohawkes DJ set other day, one of the tracks sounds insane already, lyrics go hard

All sorts - depends what you're into. Some rumours are Arcade Fire, Eminem, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, Sigur Ros, Editors, Gogol Bordello, Black Keys, MGMT, Foster the People, Beady Eye, Boards of Canada...

Arcade Fire i'm skeptical about due to win and reginee just having a child, so reckon we're looking more 2014.

However, Editors i cannot wait for. Completely forgot about that.

I liked Era Vulgaris :(

Also adding The National to my 'to do' list.

Despite not liking VW beforehand, think their new album is really good

Had a few decent songs, but I never think that I want to go and listen to it like I do with their previous 4.

The National are ace, start with Boxer. I don't think the new album is as good as their last 3 (but still good).

Albums I'm looking forward to:

BOARDS OF CANADA

Alice in Chains

Arcade Fire

Of Montreal

Still got a lot to catch up on though. I rarely bother getting stuff until I can pick up the CD at a reasonable price.

I think RAM is by far the best album of the year so far...

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Biffy Clyro - Opposites
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
And So I Watch You From Afar - All Hail Bright Futures

Then the rest (Qotsa, The Knife, Paramore ( :ninja:), m b v,etc)

The Horrors should be good. Think it's due September.