Announcement

Guest luckysalt

Ive said elsewhere, due to work commitments etc, if dl's announcement is a good one (ie if refused / soundgarden get announced - which is possible) I will be buying for DL, soni need to get something out there very soon.

i was nailed on for soni this time last week, but my mind is drifting back towards DL now.

Edited by t8yman

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they need to get something out there as soon as possible - the current climate means people are being a lot more picky about what they go to - and that includes festivals. I'm only going to do 1 or 2 this year. They risk losing people to the Download crowd.

Well there's not long now. As for the delay, it's just generally due to bands waiting to announce, contracts and all that jazz. Not much can be done in regards to that, they're waiting alongside plenty of other EU festivals.

I'm still considering Download myself, but considering the likelyhood that Sabbath might not even be able to play, I'm in no rush to buy a ticket. That being said if they did have Refused and Soundgarden, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Seems like in 2011 Download lost a lot of people to Soni due to Soni getting their big acts out early and Download announcing some big guns but then struggling with the third headliner.

But this year seems like Download were hell bent on getting strong announcements out early. Soni is as they say being vague about announcements its almost roles reversed to last year.

I still think Soni will have a solid line up and be a complete success regardless however.

It's clearly not going to be Soni's choice to be announcing later than usual, If it is however acts like Kiss signed up as headliner, Im not sure why Kiss would want to hold back on it being announced? They already said they have a new album and will be touring it

I had an idea, it's a bit wild...

Maybe they're waiting so they can try something new this year, maybe early february or something release 50% of the lineup, maybe even less, maybe just main stage/second stage.etc.

People are much more likely to buy tickets if they see a substantial number of bands they like, rather than 1 out of 3 Headliners. And at the end of the day they're still a new festival so may be experimenting...

But hey what do I know.

I think people are being a little impatient.....the festival isn't for another 6 months, Reading, Leeds, V only announce in March which is 5 months before the festival and all the major festivals around Europe have only announced the odd band here and there. Download are out of the traps earlier this year and has announced earlier than usual.

Plus to be fair to Sonisphere, they are organising several festivals so I would guess that contracts are difficult to co-ordinate on when they can actually announce.

Who knows, when they do actually annouce it could be quite a big announcement.

I'm keeping the faith for the moment.

Yeah, I think people are a bit spoiled by the early announcing of the past year or so! As I said, I remember the days when Download didn't announce till around Febuary.

At the end of the day, it's not like the organisers don't want to start selling tickets/making money. They'll announce as soon as they possibly can and it just so happens it's a little later this time than it has been in 2010/2011, but still earlier than 2009, it's not like they ever promised an announcement by now anyways. They've said January and as far as I'm aware there's still a big chunk of January left :P

lets face the facts here people, DL have announced what would widely be regarded as a strong set of headliners in anyones money. they are announcing a further 14 or so bands on monday. Sonisphere have yet to announce anything. Its not that people were spoiled by early announcements last year, its not that the festival is still x months away. their main competition is DL wether you like it or not, and they quite obviously haven't got anything worth writing home about to announce.

we all know the rough availability of most bands simply because of tour/recording commitments and other festival exclusivity etc. they dont have a massive field to choose from. I think the headliners at the very least are going to be either disappointing, or recent repeats (ring any bells sonisphere goers?)

They cannot afford to let DL gain too much on ground on them. its a big year for donny, 10 year anniversary (as we all know) and copping is supposedly pulling out all of the stops (I reckon we'll see how true that is on monday). many people (myself included) need to get time booked off from work quickly, and I for one need to know wether I am booking a long weekend in June or July. The longer they leave it, the more likely I am to go with what I know is there (DL) or what I hope might be there (soni)

even if soni said "we are announcing on the xxth of Jan" it would give people some kind of timeframe. as it stands they havent even announced when they are going to be announcing.

lets face the facts here people, DL have announced what would widely be regarded as a strong set of headliners in anyones money. they are announcing a further 14 or so bands on monday. Sonisphere have yet to announce anything. Its not that people were spoiled by early announcements last year, its not that the festival is still x months away. their main competition is DL wether you like it or not, and they quite obviously haven't got anything worth writing home about to announce.

we all know the rough availability of most bands simply because of tour/recording commitments and other festival exclusivity etc. they dont have a massive field to choose from. I think the headliners at the very least are going to be either disappointing, or recent repeats (ring any bells sonisphere goers?)

They cannot afford to let DL gain too much on ground on them. its a big year for donny, 10 year anniversary (as we all know) and copping is supposedly pulling out all of the stops (I reckon we'll see how true that is on monday). many people (myself included) need to get time booked off from work quickly, and I for one need to know wether I am booking a long weekend in June or July. The longer they leave it, the more likely I am to go with what I know is there (DL) or what I hope might be there (soni)

even if soni said "we are announcing on the xxth of Jan" it would give people some kind of timeframe. as it stands they havent even announced when they are going to be announcing.

sorry, but that's daft angle to take on things.

Download announced before Coachella did - and Coachella happens around 3 months earlier. Did that mean that Coachella had nothing worth announcing? ;)

There's a whole range of reasons why one might announce before another, and no part of that is anything to do with the strength of the line-up they'll have when the fest comes around.

If impatience is a reason to buy a ticket then (from how things have happened this year) Download could announce any old shite and still sell out.

sorry, but that's daft angle to take on things.

Download announced before Coachella did - and Coachella happens around 3 months earlier. Did that mean that Coachella had nothing worth announcing? ;)

There's a whole range of reasons why one might announce before another, and no part of that is anything to do with the strength of the line-up they'll have when the fest comes around.

If impatience is a reason to buy a ticket then (from how things have happened this year) Download could announce any old shite and still sell out.

Hmm...Download made a late announcement last year it was Deaf Leppard and they made an early announcement this time it was Metallica, Sabbath & Prodigy. xD

They've probably have been busy with their other events like Chili Peppers but with Soni unlikely to top Download's headliners holding off will probably only make things worse. I can see them getting Teancious D or Green Day as they're one of the few acts that fit in with the fest and may not appeal to Download's crowd their headliners may get.