Beyonce

Guest doubledutch

I think when you’re still releasing music in what could be considered your ‘prime’ then it’s fair for that music to be taking up the majority of your setlists. It’s when acts continue to do it as they age and their output gets progressively worse when it becomes off putting - them’s the times to stick to the hits. 

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I think when you’re still releasing music in what could be considered your ‘prime’ then it’s fair for that music to be taking up the majority of your setlists. It’s when acts continue to do it as they age and their output gets progressively worse when it becomes off putting - them’s the times to stick to the hits. 

Aye, I can echo that sentiment, though it does honestly depend on the sheer ratio of hits. 

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Not like Taylors last tour setlist wasn't dominated by her then current album.

Also a very fair assessment - heck, if we take the fact the Eras Tour technically has to support four albums, then it is still pushing out more than half-a-show per night of "new" material as such. 

For me the biggest gripe is the lack of dancing. Don’t get me wrong, Beyoncé’s mic is turned ON but I feel like she normally offers some incredible dance breaks that set her miles above the rest - last two times I saw her it really wasn’t a concert it was a SHOW.

rumours were that she had surgery earlier this year on her ankle and I guess that’s true, she couldn’t even walk up and down stairs without people holding her hand 

5 minutes ago, ls2408 said:

For me the biggest gripe is the lack of dancing. Don’t get me wrong, Beyoncé’s mic is turned ON but I feel like she normally offers some incredible dance breaks that set her miles above the rest - last two times I saw her it really wasn’t a concert it was a SHOW.

Forgive my confusion, but are we saying it is a show when there is more dancing? (I concur; show tends to mean big production with costume changes and dancers. Concert means everybody shuts up and plays the instruments.)

8 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Forgive my confusion, but are we saying it is a show when there is more dancing? (I concur; show tends to mean big production with costume changes and dancers. Concert means everybody shuts up and plays the instruments.)

Sorry I meant it was more of an “experience”  - all singing all dancing. This tour seems it’s all singing and no dancing. Will hold my thoughts til I see her in Cardiff next week

Very excited now to see her, stage and production looks incredible and I'm chuffed with the setlist, glad RENAISSANCE is getting the love it deserves. Slightly upset with LEMONADE being snubbed, but I guess we did get all of that on the last tour, so I can't really complain.

On 5/11/2023 at 12:37 AM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Guess it’s just unfortunate that she’s rolling out at the same time as the Eras tour is ongoing - unfavourable comparisons with the extreme levels of fan service on display there were inevitable. When you compare it to normal album tours for the big American superstars it’s actually pretty generous with old songs and anybody seriously complaining about a 36 song show is just silly. 

Bey was going on a tour to promote a singular album so thats the focus. Taylor decided to do a greatest hits tour while also performing material that hadnt been played live. Theyre very much diff things. And now when Madonna gets her tour going thats the next comparison since its labeled greatest hits? 

Beyonce didnt even follow the regular promotional cycle for this album and now it seems that its a shock she didnt play more old songs. I mean come on. Ya'll had your chances to see her play your apparent faves. On you for not going. 

Maybe everyone should be glad Bey is doing the tour even while recovering from the injury. But that just seems too difficult to do the obvious.

13 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Bey was going on a tour to promote a singular album so thats the focus. Taylor decided to do a greatest hits tour while also performing material that hadnt been played live. Theyre very much diff things. And now when Madonna gets her tour going thats the next comparison since its labeled greatest hits? 

Beyonce didnt even follow the regular promotional cycle for this album and now it seems that its a shock she didnt play more old songs. I mean come on. Ya'll had your chances to see her play your apparent faves. On you for not going. 

Maybe everyone should be glad Bey is doing the tour even while recovering from the injury. But that just seems too difficult to do the obvious.

Did you even read the post you are responding to? Or are all of your senses muddied by the sneering condescension that oozes from every one of your posts?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Is this the first solo tour she's done without any Destiny's Child-era material? 

Hadn't twigged she hit curfew on night two and had to cut a chunk out as well.

Must be

Formation tour had survivor and bootylicious 

mrs carter tour had survivor 

I am tour had a whole medley! 

she better not be late on for Cardiff next week - I want to see all three songs she cut. Respect to her for not cutting the ballroom segment at the end of Pure/Honey though 

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Except she still cut out one section of the set which is concerning.

She was 20 minutes late, and the curfew was 10.30pm. Also rumours from her personal security team that the podium she goes on for Drunk in Love isn't working either and that the section may have been cut from the tour, would like to see it back though.

Was going to ask if anyone had been down in Cardiff. Absolutely little doubt it will be a showstopper in terms of its production value from reports now. As a concert experience, I'll hold judgement until I'm done - I am in the cheap seats, which will likely be with more casuals. (And I would peg myself as a casual rather than a die-hard.)

11 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Was going to ask if anyone had been down in Cardiff. Absolutely little doubt it will be a showstopper in terms of its production value from reports now. As a concert experience, I'll hold judgement until I'm done - I am in the cheap seats, which will likely be with more casuals. (And I would peg myself as a casual rather than a die-hard.)

Had a few friends in the seats last night (I was standing) and they enjoyed the experience too so it’s looking hopeful for you!

One thing I will say is she doesn’t spend a lot of time in the outer ring of stage (where GA Is) but a lot of time on the main stage and the walkway by the VIPs

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ls2408 said:

Had a few friends in the seats last night (I was standing) and they enjoyed the experience too so it’s looking hopeful for you!

One thing I will say is she doesn’t spend a lot of time in the outer ring of stage (where GA Is) but a lot of time on the main stage and the walkway by the VIPs

Useful to know! Thank you! (I'll still be in a different postcode, but I've been in worse spots for gigs!)

I was there last night and it was spectacular. Higher production value than anything I've ever seen (almost goes without saying) and she's just a brilliant live performer. Setlist wasn't a surprise for me but I'd say don't go in with any specific hopes (other than Renaissance songs). 

It was notable that she had many more sitting opportunities and did a few more slower songs (non Renaissance, the opening section in particular) than the Formation tour - but definitely doesn't affect the experience! 

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

How does the production compare to the Reputation tour (for those who've seen both)?

Personally would say the production was slightly less compared to the Reputation and (for a Beyoncé comparison) Formation tours. But it was better than the production for OTR II. Not to say it wasn't still spectacular though, because it was still a lot better than the majority of stadium shows, love the giant disco ball and horse, and the visuals were fantastic as always. I said it last night to my mate, but think what the show lacked in choreo and *some* production, she more than made up for vocally. 

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

How does the production compare to the Reputation tour (for those who've seen both)?

I saw both - production wise I’d say it’s very creative and unique, better than Reputation tour for me. Not completely sold on the layout (well how the crowd is organised) but the actual staging and the tech there is quite advanced for a stadium tour. I do think the monolith from Formation World Tour is still the best though!