Arcade Fire for 2013 Headliner?

Guest JackieMoon

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put Arcade Fire in the same category as Radiohead in that they don't really have hit singles but sell a hell of a lot of albums. Can't believe anyone doubts that they could headline, just hope that their next album sees them following a route similar to what Radiohead did when they 'blew up' (I'm not expecting a Kid A here, just something that doesn't pander to the general public).

Oh, and people spent £50 to leave after Mumford and Sons?! (I'm assuming they didn't come early for Beruit either), I have no words.

please no, not another screamingly dreary UK Indie band - they are all dull live. Projecting forward from the current touring acts I'd go for Slipknot; they may be a teeny-bop band, but they do have some balls.

Edited by ollyh

We thought that in 2008 and look what happened. One more album and they will be there. I am a bit worried that they are not mainstream enough ( as aren't arcade fire) so may end up being a small crowd and I am not sure that Glasto want such a smallish band headlining when it's live on BBC. They are, and have been for many years my favourite band. Do they deserve it ? Yes they do. Wil they get a headline performance? Unlikely unfortunately

Same with arcade fire I think

They probably will have another album by, or around, then. They're a proper big band - two sell outs at the O2, Hyde Park, headlining other festivals, all without 'hits'. If they release another album that's as critically acclaimed as their last three and it has a song or two that crossover (something they haven't had happen yet, but I bet they try for next time - they are not a band without ambition) and this was their last UK gig till then, then yes, they'd not only make for a great headliner, but they'll probably be quite the very big one too.

Just can't see it with the lack of public mainstream public awareness about them.

Since I have been going(4 years)all the Pyramid headliners have been mainstream. If you asked Joe Public about any recent headliners they will have heard of them and could name/sing a few songs, don't think that would happen with AF.

Stranger things have happened I suppose so maybe, I'd put them in Elbows slot this year under somebody like Radiohead. Either way I'll be elsewhere sampling the delights :)

Just can't see it with the lack of public mainstream public awareness about them.

Since I have been going(4 years)all the Pyramid headliners have been mainstream. If you asked Joe Public about any recent headliners they will have heard of them and could name/sing a few songs, don't think that would happen with AF.

Stranger things have happened I suppose so maybe, I'd put them in Elbows slot this year under somebody like Radiohead. Either way I'll be elsewhere sampling the delights :)

was at the Hyde Park gig thursday night as well, was fanatastic. Was happy to see Mumford+Sons and well having missed them at glasto. When they said we'll see you in two years did confuse me at the time as they're back in the country in august playing the MEN, which I'm going to as well. Can definitely see them headlining Glasto 2013.

To say Arcade Fire aren't big enough is just daft. They've headlined the second biggest festival in the uk to critical acclaim. They've sold out Hyde Park and IMO are bigger than Kings Of Leon were when they headlined. This is also not taking into account that it's two years till the next fest where they will potentially be even bigger.

To those doubting whether they're capable due to them not being applicable to the radio 1 crowd:

a. What about Neil Young? and even Springsteen, they don't have many well known songs with the younger generation, people will only know them if they've explored them. Also Gorillaz only have a few well known songs. I'd say Wake Up and Rebellion are both pretty well known, and there are way way waaaayyyyyy more AF album buyers than Gorillaz.

b. It can only be a good thing for Glasto to have a headliner that's not a mainstream radio 1 act.

They didn't say anything at all at Hyde Park that would relate to them playing Glastonbury but whether it's 2013 or 2014 I'd imagine that they'd play whenever their next album's out. They won't play R&L again until at least 2015 so that leaves a gap before then to headline.

I didn't say they were from the UK, I have no idea where they are from and care even less. What I meant is they sound like every other indie band - slightly off key, slightly off rhythm, four chords, poor vocals, simple song structures, poor musicianship...