If there's one thing you could change for 2013...

Guest Gnomicide

In terms of the long-term future of the Festival, they need to push on with alternative/political aspects of Glastonbury and not let them be diluted. Despite seeing Caroline Lucas MP booed during her speech, the organisers should push on with this side of the festival..

Alternative stuff with a message should be bought into the heart of the arena and not sidelined, so people can't escape a certain message of responsibility...Even stuff like a nude run round the campsite at midday over the weekend helps open people's minds and not just let them bluster between Chipmunk Kesha and Beyonce gigs as if they're at a mainstream summer festival in a London Park...Anything to make people think and open their minds...

basically not to let the alternative aspects of the festival be sidelined and to be a bit more 'in your face' in terms of challenging the new crowd that's adopting it

Edited by The Pumpkin King

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Empty the toilets better in the camper van fields. We were in E23 ( top of hill of death) and the field was full pretty much by 1500 on Tuesday pm. In that field there were about 16 toilets, 2 taps and 1 water refill point for about 1000 people (at a guess).

Plus from Wednesday am all the people were queuing past the toilets to get into the site which meant they were obviously used a lot more seeing as they were the only loos (apart from 2 solo ones at bottom of hill) between there and into the festival.

My thing I would change is to have them emptied on Wednesday am as they were not emptied until thurs pm and by then they were rank!!!!! Oh and a couple more water points/sinks would be nice too! ( ok rant over)

A big downer for a lot of people was the rain and resultant mud. Once the bark chips were down things got a lot better but I think they could have been put out quite a bit earlier and in more places. For example Ped Gate C, which is a regular entry/exit point throughout the fest with both new people arriving and the daily trek in and out to CV East, had a lake to be negotiated for much of the fest. Another location that cut up badly was Bella's Bridge.

Maybe I didn't spend much time at The Pyramid so may have missed them but I didn't see any of the worthy cause videos between acts this year. In the past they've shown films of the work of Oxfam, Water Aid etc. I'd like to see more of such issues being raised and promoted.

I have to say go back to limited or no entertainment Wed/thurs night.

Mental on wednesday entry now compared to the gentle 2 day build up it used to have and that's actually what most people are whinging about.

If it's going to be a 5 day festival make it so, if it's still 3 days make it so.

No bollocksing on wed/thurs nights this year made me :(

Glasto is by far and away my favourite festival. It is however not perfect, what is? That is why it has been evolving throughout the years. If board members want to pass comment on improvements, then they shouldnt be criticised for "moaning". People pay £200 (still good value for what you get) a ticke,t therefore have a right to an opinion. As long as it's constructive and reasonable, I'm sure the organisers would welcome suggestions. Glasto regardless of its charitable donations, and being sited on a farm, is a commercial enterprise. Hence the millions spent on drainage, extra capacity etc. Mr Eavis despite his cuddly methodist persona is a shrewd businessman (doesnt make him a bad person though) and mentioned in many business forums. The festival stays ahead of the others, through taking note of what the punters want. Expressing a view on what you want from the festival should therefore be seen as a good thing, and not killjoy whingeing. I don't know if GFL check out these boards, so maybe this isn't the best place to get your voice heard with regards to improving the festival. Maybe a direct email to them would be better.

Does it? Or does it now just say that they (GFL) were simply wrong with their planning, at that time, 5 years ago. Much has changed for the festival in that time - Lost Vagueness now gone, replaced by massive noise extravaganza that is Arcadia, B9, Shangri-La etc. But there are elements of these events that generate little if no noise at all. The arcades and their little tucked away themed clubs cannot surely generate more noise than some of the similar marqueed clubs further West, say in The Park (e.g. Rabbit Hole)? And what about the option of simply providing more competition - alternative late night attractions elsewhere - they don't necessarily have to involve more noise production. I have seen so much attention poured into the South East 'naughtly corner' over the last few years, and comparatively little spent on creating new attractions in other parts of the site (though there have been some) - no wonder everyone flocks down there at night and jam everything up.

an end to this alan bollocks. sure, it was quite fun last year when it was still relatively fresh but a summer of hearing it at various even non festival events and then at reading, topped off with 5 days of glasto virgins shouting it 24/7 (people who've been before seem to refrain), it really does do your f**king head in :P

wednesday queue was a bit mad, only an hour or so to get in but every other year i've just been able to waltz through gate A without waiting a second, ah well, never been on wednesday before so i guess it's just part and parcel of a longer festival

would be nice to have a better all night area in the west or centre of the festival for when you can't get into arcadia and the south east venues (which were brilliant this year i thought). have to say though, cubehenge at 7am on sunday morning, completely mashed and dancing with only about 4 other people but seeming to bond immensely with all was a pretty special experience.

better sound at the park. sightlines are annoying but a screen would kill the vibe really and it's a rather unique little section of the festival

world music back at west holts. always liked stumbling across an african or brazillian group; much better showmanship, colour and sense of groove than most of the main stage acts, plus helps to broaden horizons a bit

it's just little things really. thought this year was top. glad to see they're getting rid of orange's presence from the festival (corporate branding at any festival is a downer; very few things seemed more abrasive than the vodafone banner on the soundtower at reading last year), though would still be nice to have a place to charge the old phone so i can actually find my friends for once but i'm sure the eavises will have it all sorted. roll on 2013!

Edited by knivesout

Maybe I didn't spend much time at The Pyramid so may have missed them but I didn't see any of the worthy cause videos between acts this year. In the past they've shown films of the work of Oxfam, Water Aid etc. I'd like to see more of such issues being raised and promoted.

Gate D queueing - they need to put down metal tracking through the Harris fencing to PGD. The mud at the wonky camber at the entrance up to the flat bit where West 40/Whit entrance comes in was the culprit for the lengthy queues this year.

Before the rain started, it was tough going after just 2000 or so people had got past, after that plus the rain it was impassable. I would expect that next year there may/will be a redesign to this bottle neck/choke point. The approach from West 40 is downhill and straight onto the flat.

I think there should be more shaded areas where people can just pause for a while - maybe with more of those sleeper benches. There isn't much shade or shelter for people moving around the site, which becomes noticeable in either sunny or wet weather. Sometimes people just need somewhere to stop for a few minutes to check their maps or eat the food they just bought. It wouldn't cost much, especially if it replaced the structures which look like sheltered areas without actually providing any.

As for one improvement, how about having the official t shirts in a decent variety of accurate sizes? On the Thursday there was little choice and for a nine year old girl we had to buy "small ladies" as all the kids sizes were clearly designed for dolls.