Orbital DJ set

Guest mozzy

Paul Hartnoll just said in an interview with Steve Lamacq on 6 Music that Orbital will be doing a DJ set on Saturday night in Arcadia "after the Chemical Brothers have finished on the Other Stage". No hints about a secret set elsewhere though!

Guest musiclove123

Paul Hartnoll just said in an interview with Steve Lamacq on 6 Music that Orbital will be doing a DJ set on Saturday night in Arcadia "after the Chemical Brothers have finished on the Other Stage". No hints about a secret set elsewhere though!

I was thinking about this, cos someone on the other thread said something similar about their mixing skills

Doesn't matter a bugger, it's all about choosing the right tunes, getting the mood right, not about beatmixing or anything else. It's like playing the guitar, I'd rather have somebpdy less technically competent, but with a bit of imagination than some dull as ditchwater technically proficient muso.

Old chestnut.

This was discussed to death last year (and the year before too I seem to recall). Fatboy Slim is headlining the Dance Tent and he cant mix for toffee either but there he is for the umpteenth appearance.

The Hartnolls DJ the music they love and then splice in awesome remixes of their own music and everyone (well, most people) is happy. Arcadia, on a Saturday night at the G, post Chems having the Tom Middleton remix of Halcyon get played out and probably throwing in the newer version of Chime Crime will be the likely order of the day along with a few other tunes from the past 22 years of their existence. It will be fecking marvellous whatever they play and normally...how many people actually pay attention to is precisily DJing at Arcadia? Most folk are there for the Arcadia set up, not the DJs.

WOOMF WOOMF!!! With added Chime loveliness :wub:

Fatboy Slim can ostensibly beat mix though can't he? I'm not saying he's Carl Cox or anything but when I've seen one of the Hartnolls before there were a couple of full on train wrecks when he tried to mix (I love Orbital by the way and am not particularly a FBS fan, I'm just reporting what I've seen!).

This news has just made my dull morning amazing! I love Arcadia, saw Kissy Sell Out there last year and Orbital will be amazing.

I am not too bothered by any of the headliners for Saturday so I will head over to Arcadia early for the nightly show.

Do we REALLY need to discuss mixing skills? The Hartnolls are taking over Arcadia. Nuff said. If you are precious about mixing skills dont turn up and miss out on all the visual action which is, what Arcadia is mainly all about yes?

And as for Fatboy...bring it on. Carl Cox before his set too and then a Tag Team collaboration...BRING IT ON!!! :P

I havent seen Fatboy DJ in a while, I am not bothered whether he or the Hartnolls can or cant mix. Most of the set they can and do. The occasional iffy boo boo with a mix can be a slight annoyance but when coupled with atmosphere, crowd and the music being played out, its often amusing and raises a smile when these 'superstar' DJs f**k it up a little.

Take the 02 Big Beach Boutique II when Norm was bouncing so much by his decks he actually made Love Story skip. A huge cheer went up from the huge crowd.

I dont get all this aggression towards the Hartnolls though? I have seen them DJ on numerous occasions and whilst the music may not reach for the lasers amazing, they play decent stuff, a lot of really old house (which is a winner where I am often standing) and splice it with 6+ Orbital tracks/remixes. What is there that is so bad?

Imagine the fallout right now if Paul Oakenfold/PVD/Tong had been announced in their slot instead!!! :rolleyes: All great DJs of yesteryear but I imagine everyone would be seriously ripping into an announcement like that. Please chill out about whether 2 electronic music Mozarts can play with their knobs with other people's music other than their own. :P

I agree, which is why I've only ever been to see him at festivals when there's nothing else on. I was just a bit surprised that you and Lucy said he couldn't mix:

"Terrible music, terrible mixing."

From the footage I've seen on the box, though, he does seem to do a lot of playing with the treble (or other) knob while there's a 303 blaring out, which seems to me like a blatant attempt to make himself look like he's doing more than he actually is!

It's nothing different to every other DJ. At the end of the day they're just playing records.

I saw Phil Hartnoll at the Tribal Gathering weekender back in 2003 trying to run an acapella of Madonna’s ‘Music’ over another house record….people were just stood holding their faces as it went all over the place and the rest of his set just sounded like a tranny falling down some stairs.

I completely agree that the odd wobble here and there isn’t a big issue but it poses a problem when the beats are crashing so much you can’t even dance to the music – just sayin’ ! ;)

As I said in the previous thread, I'm sure they'll be able to match some beats 8 years later between them.

Edited by Aby