What about Noel Gallagher ?

Guest chris_top_her

Noel Gallagher is a terrible singer. He makes sick come out of my ears.

If he's such a talented songwriter then why didn't Oasis release a decent album after 1997?

For me Oasis were a band who struck it lucky by releasing their first 2 albums during a time of political and musical change then failed to live up to their massive hype by then failing to release anything worth listening to ever again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many bands could you say "got lucky due to releasing their albums at a time of musical change" or "there was nothing else about at the time" etc.

Nirvana - definitely. The Beatles....??

Pulp - who are revered on these boards for some reason unknown to me - only became famous on the back of Oasis and Blur.

Oasis released two brilliant albums. The rest are only poor when compared to their previous work. If Be Here Now was released as a debut album by a band now people would be raving over it.

People don't like Liam Gallagher, fair enough - he's a bit of a cock. But people who say songs like the masterplan, acquiesce, wonderwall, live forever are rubbish are lieing to themselves.

It's cool to be anti oasis these days. Get over it and accept them for what they were. The biggest and best band of the 90's.

How many bands could you say "got lucky due to releasing their albums at a time of musical change" or "there was nothing else about at the time" etc.

Pulp - who are revered on these boards for some reason unknown to me - only became famous on the back of Oasis and Blur.

Oasis released two brilliant albums. The rest are only poor when compared to their previous work. If Be Here Now was released as a debut album by a band now people would be raving over it.

People don't like Liam Gallagher, fair enough - he's a bit of a cock. But people who say songs like the masterplan, acquiesce, wonderwall, live forever are rubbish are lieing to themselves.

It's cool to be anti oasis these days. Get over it and accept them for what they were. The biggest and best band of the 90's.

Pretty much yeah, although I think their output certainly got weaker. For me bad singing will ruin the show. He used to make an effort but towards the end seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Not a huge Oasis fan anyway but my favourite show of theirs was the unplugged with Noel singing and Liam heckling him from audience, a repeat of that would be nice :lol:

Pretty much yeah, although I think their output certainly got weaker. For me bad singing will ruin the show. He used to make an effort but towards the end seemed like he couldn't be arsed. Not a huge Oasis fan anyway but my favourite show of theirs was the unplugged with Noel singing and Liam heckling him from audience, a repeat of that would be nice :lol:

I know Russy is being sarcastic, but it's actually a fair point. Several oasis songs which are a whiny dirge on record are palatable with Noel's vocals (again, that unplugged set really showed this off)

I still wouldn't go see him, man is a collosall penis.

The Beatles changed the world of music around them by experimenting. Oasis just got lucky by being early to the market in a wave of great music, similar to Nirvana. Neither were innovators or the most talented of their genre but became the best known bands of the era by being the first to make it big. (Nirvana are my least favourite grunge band by the way).

Oasis released 7 albums, 5 of them were sh!t, no matter what industry you work in a less than 30% success rate is not considered a sign of outstanding talent.

I think that is judging them harshly, to say that Morning Glory isn't a classic album is revisionism, pure and simple. At that point in time they couldn't do a thing wrong.

I often look back now and try and figure out the exact point that Oasis stopped being good to me. I remember the first single off be here now being a massive disappointment and the album being a bit hit and miss, from there on out it was downhill all the way.

The odd thing for me is, I used to really like oasis, when I listen back now I think there are perhaps only 3 or 4 songs in their entire catalogue that I wouldn't hit skip if they come up in a playlist.

Noel's petulant, somewhat pathetic attitude since then has only made me less and less receptive, he is the only man on earth that makes Liam look good.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Love it or hate it Oasis have been one of the best bands in the 90s....and i just can't understand the hate some bloggers are expressing towards this band...Now that Oasis are no longer together, I

hope i can catch Noel play live with the High flying birds at least....

This is a BIG generalisation but... I'm pretty sure most people who say Oasis have only got 2 good albums stopped listening to Oasis albums after Be Here Now - and therefore your opinion means f*** all... afterall why would you listen to 4 more albums from a band you no longer liked? That is all :)

Edited by danny12345