New Jools Holland series starts tonight

Guest godders1966

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. It's a terrible song and written purely with the big arenas in mind. In fairness to Guy, he has admitted some of the songs on the new album were written with big venues in mind, which in my opinion is an absolutely dreadful confession to make.

It all started with the equally cringeworthy One Day Like This. Sadly the average listener laps this sort of song up.

If you are going to listen to elbow to get into the songs you are likely to hear at glastonbury I wouldnt bother with the first 3 albums. They have been sadly ditched in favour of seldom seen kid and the new one. Very sad as the first 3 albums are their best work by far, in my opinion.

ALl that being said, they will still be great at glastonbury I am certain.

I thought Neat Little Rows was the standout live track Elbow played on jools for me. Loved it, and not having seen them on tour (as I was convinced they'd be at glasto) I can't wait to see em!

It was funny how Jools pronounced Elbow too- Like they were spanish and the syllables were two separate words!

Like others on here I'm hoping they throw in a few older numbers for their pyramid stage set as although there are some great tracks on their last two albums, the bulk of any 'Best of elbow' playlist worth it's salt (far more than 3 fifths too) would come from their first three albums.

Regardless, they WILL be brilliant.

Bump for tonight:

"Joining Jools (who may or may not be armed with a big hook) for show two, are Cee Lo Green, whose The Lady Killer album has gone platinum.

Glasgow’s Glasvegas return with their new Swedish drummer to perform songs from their second album, Euphoric Heartbreak.

Former The Band member Robbie Robertson will showcase his first album in more than 10 years from Lagos, plus there’s Seun Kuti (son of Fela) and his band Egypt 80.

And Jools will be chatting with funk legend, Bootsy Collins."

Actually quite looking forward to Glasvegas, never seen them before.

Bump for tonight:

"Joining Jools (who may or may not be armed with a big hook) for show two, are Cee Lo Green, whose The Lady Killer album has gone platinum.

Glasgow’s Glasvegas return with their new Swedish drummer to perform songs from their second album, Euphoric Heartbreak.

Former The Band member Robbie Robertson will showcase his first album in more than 10 years from Lagos, plus there’s Seun Kuti (son of Fela) and his band Egypt 80.

And Jools will be chatting with funk legend, Bootsy Collins."

Actually quite looking forward to Glasvegas, never seen them before.

'The average listener laps this sort of thing up'? What a snooty comment to make. I dont understand statements like that or when people say 'oh, they've gone mainstream now'. Elbow were a smallish band and since TSSK they have become an arena band. Why could that be? What could possibly explain a dramatic increase in popularity? The answer is obvious, if perhaps unsettling for older fans; the standard of their output has increased dramatically. I dont own Cast Of Thousands but i do have Asleep In The Back and with the best will in the world it is utterly ordinary. The step up in quality from that album to LOTFW is huge, as is the step to TSSK. We all have our own tastes of course but the conclusion is inescapable; Elbow were a pretty good band, now they are a brilliant band.

Also, again reluctantly accepting the right for people to like different things, criticism of One Day Like This is baffling. How can anyone not be moved by such an extraordinary song? 'Holy cow i love your eyes' and 'Lying with you half awake, stumbling over what to say' are lyrics that cut straight to the chase. I like that. They say in 6 and 10 words respectively what someone like Bob Dylan would take 6 verses to say. They will be great at Glasto.