New Jools Holland series starts tonight

Guest godders1966

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The average listener laps this sort of thing up'? What a snooty comment to make. I dont understand statements like that or when people say 'oh, they've gone mainstream now'. Elbow were a smallish band and since TSSK they have become an arena band. Why could that be? What could possibly explain a dramatic increase in popularity? The answer is obvious, if perhaps unsettling for older fans; the standard of their output has increased dramatically. I dont own Cast Of Thousands but i do have Asleep In The Back and with the best will in the world it is utterly ordinary. The step up in quality from that album to LOTFW is huge, as is the step to TSSK. We all have our own tastes of course but the conclusion is inescapable; Elbow were a pretty good band, now they are a brilliant band.

Also, again reluctantly accepting the right for people to like different things, criticism of One Day Like This is baffling. How can anyone not be moved by such an extraordinary song? 'Holy cow i love your eyes' and 'Lying with you half awake, stumbling over what to say' are lyrics that cut straight to the chase. I like that. They say in 6 and 10 words respectively what someone like Bob Dylan would take 6 verses to say. They will be great at Glasto.

The rocky production of Bright Lights Bigger City by Cee-Lo really disappointed me, I love the original with the violins and they should've went with that however Satisfied at the end was fantastic.

Can't help but feel that if Glasvegas didn't have a whiny lead singer they'd be decent because the structure of the song without his vocals was pretty good.

Really enjoyed Africa 80, looked forward to seeing Bootsy perform, Josh T. Pearson I thought was excellent as well.

Glasvegas was a massive disappointment just like their second album which astonishingly got 9/10 in the nme. Utter garbage vocals from James Allen, on a plus note I enjoyed the bearded man on before Cee-Lo's final performance.

Cee-Lo was a bit off-putting, i think it might be his teeth, so white!

You're heading down a tricky road with your arguement there. Is the quality of song writing really shown by how many people like it? As I mentioned earlier on this thread, neither Grounds for Divorce or Day Like This were part of the original recording sessions for SSK, and were added purely because the record company asked them to add a couple of "singles". I really like them both, but in their structure and simplcity, you can tell that the band put less into both the tracks than most of the rest of the album. In fact A Day Like This came from them saying lets try doing a string bit like Bittersweet symphony. Without those 2 tracks they'd still be just the same sized band they always were. Whilst Russy's phrasing might upset you (just for a change ;) ), he's right in that most really popular bands write music that follow simple chord progressions and structures. Like with lots of high grossing movies for example, you know what's coming before it happens. Does this make Avatar a higher quality movie than City of God though? Not for me. Same goes for Elbows stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up with last weeks show. If anyone didn't see it, you should check out Vintage Trouble. Great high energy RnB (proper RnB) songs and a top performance. Truly, the sound of talented musicians absolutely f**kin' loving it. Made me grin from ear to ear.

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

Ed Sheeran stole that show.

PJ Harvey is clearly going through one of those "bit too weird" phases again. Incredible talent but sometimes (like the bird on the head/bedsheet dress combo) she does things that just bemuse me to the point that it actually distracts and detracts from the music.

The rocky production of Bright Lights Bigger City by Cee-Lo really disappointed me, I love the original with the violins and they should've went with that however Satisfied at the end was fantastic.

Can't help but feel that if Glasvegas didn't have a whiny lead singer they'd be decent because the structure of the song without his vocals was pretty good.

Really enjoyed Africa 80, looked forward to seeing Bootsy perform, Josh T. Pearson I thought was excellent as well.