2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

I don't see how you can compare the two. Everybody even vaguely into Rock/Metal at whatever age will have heard Appetite for Destruction as well as November Rain; and will know who Slash and Axl Rose are. Guns N' Roses used to be one of the biggest acts on the planet. Fans were waiting for them to release Chinese Democracy for well over a decade - the risk was that they were going to be shit not that nobody would be interested.

The Cure were/are huge but have always been a bit awkward, certainly not your typical commercially successful band. Most young people into music will have only heard of Friday I'm In Love and Boys Don't Cry, if that.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how you can compare the two. Everybody even vaguely into Rock/Metal at whatever age will have heard Appetite for Destruction as well as November Rain; and will know who Slash and Axl Rose are. Guns N' Roses used to be one of the biggest acts on the planet. Fans were waiting for them to release Chinese Democracy for over a decade - the risk was that they were going to be shit not that nobody would be interested.

The Cure were/are huge but have always been a bit awkward, certainly not your typical commercially successful band. Most young people into music will have only heard of Friday I'm In Love and Boys Don't Cry, if that.

But you could argue then that most young people into music will have only heard of November and Sweet Child of Mine. The Cure were also one of the biggest acts on the planet. I'm not comparing the two, I was merely weighing up the chances of them headlining, I reckon The Cure have as much as a chance as GnR did, that's proven when on here everyone was surprised they had been booked; people didn't think they stood a chance. A 1hr 30 min greatest hits set would be perfect from The Cure. People that would want to see them will, and the crowd won't be any less than AF. Hence I reckon Benn MAY have took the risk.

Edited by Vacant0

MAIN STAGE

FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

System Of A Down

Slipknot

Lostprophets

Public Enemy

All Time Low

Bowling For Soup

Less Than Jake

Twin Atlantic

Streetlight Manifesto

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Two Door Cinema Club

The Wombats

SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Foo Fighters

Stereophonics

The Black Keys

The Gaslight Anthem

Rancid

Eagles Of Death Metal

Cage The Elephant

Viva Brother

Warpaint

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Chase And Status

Magnetic Man

SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

The Killers

New Order

Vampire Weekend

The Maccabees

White Lies

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Naked And Famous

Blood Red Shoes

Girls

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Placebo

The Subways

I have a feeling Foos will headline the Friday at Reading rather than the Sunday, because there's always two headliners who end up not playing the same day we expect them to (My Chemical Romance/Muse, GNR/Blink 182, KOL/Arctic Monkeys, RATM/The Killers, RHCP/Smashing Pumpkins)

Stupid reasoning I know but the line-up always ends up a bit different to what we all predict. ;)

Edited by VCK

MAIN STAGE

FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

System Of A Down

Slipknot

Lostprophets

Public Enemy

All Time Low

Bowling For Soup

Less Than Jake

Twin Atlantic

Streetlight Manifesto

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Two Door Cinema Club

The Wombats

SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Foo Fighters

Stereophonics

The Black Keys

The Gaslight Anthem

Rancid

Eagles Of Death Metal

Cage The Elephant

Viva Brother

Warpaint

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Chase And Status

Magnetic Man

SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

The Killers

New Order

Vampire Weekend

The Maccabees

White Lies

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Naked And Famous

Blood Red Shoes

Girls

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Placebo

The Subways

I have a feeling Foos will headline the Friday at Reading rather than the Sunday, because there's always two headliners who end up not playing the same day we expect them to (My Chemical Romance/Muse, GNR/Blink 182, KOL/Arctic Monkeys, RATM/The Killers, RHCP/Smashing Pumpkins)

Stupid reasoning I know but the line-up always ends up a bit different to what we all predict. ;)

I could be wrong, but I'd argue that The Cure are a bigger draw than Pulp, but then again Pulp were co-headlining with The Strokes, who are massive with the R/L crowd (I'm not getting at Pulp here by the way, one of my favourite ever bands and the best set I've ever seen at Leeds). However I would love The Cure to headline, that would guarantee me buying a weekend ticket.

MAIN STAGE

FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

System Of A Down

Slipknot

Lostprophets

Public Enemy

All Time Low

Bowling For Soup

Less Than Jake

Twin Atlantic

Streetlight Manifesto

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Two Door Cinema Club

The Wombats

SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Foo Fighters

Stereophonics

The Black Keys

The Gaslight Anthem

Rancid

Eagles Of Death Metal

Cage The Elephant

Viva Brother

Warpaint

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Chase And Status

Magnetic Man

SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

The Killers

New Order

Vampire Weekend

The Maccabees

White Lies

Bombay Bicycle Club

The Naked And Famous

Blood Red Shoes

Girls

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Placebo

The Subways

The Cure won't headline because they aren't a popular band with FR's target demographic. Would the festival sell out on the day that they headlined? Yes. Would such a massive shift away from the target audience damage the long-term sales in that area? Yes, and that's why FR won't do it, because they'd be trading off a one-day sell-out against their reputation as being a cutting edge festival that attracts a young audience. Older bands like The Strokes, Muse, GNR, etc. still have some connection to a younger audience as if they haven't heard them then they would of at least heard of them or heard modern bands namecheck them, The Cure don't have that recent chart or media exposure of aren't cited as influences by a lot of modern bands/acts. Names like Pulp or GNR are known becuase of their immense popularity over a short period or notoriety/fame of the lead singers, agian The Cure don't have that.

Utter utter rubbish, would be such a waste but as I am not in control of what school leavers like I can see them headlining. I will be at Chase & Status, Wombats etc on NME unless they stupidly put an old timer band on at the same time which I can see them doing... arse.

I was looking over older threads earlier, and last year's Lineup thread only made it to 73 pages, and that presumably includes discussion of the lineup once the real thing was released! What's so different this year? Is it just not knowing the headliners that's made the difference?

The Cure won't headline because they aren't a popular band with FR's target demographic. Would the festival sell out on the day that they headlined? Yes. Would such a massive shift away from the target audience damage the long-term sales in that area? Yes, and that's why FR won't do it, because they'd be trading off a one-day sell-out against their reputation as being a cutting edge festival that attracts a young audience. Older bands like The Strokes, Muse, GNR, etc. still have some connection to a younger audience as if they haven't heard them then they would of at least heard of them or heard modern bands namecheck them, The Cure don't have that recent chart or media exposure of aren't cited as influences by a lot of modern bands/acts. Names like Pulp or GNR are known becuase of their immense popularity over a short period or notoriety/fame of the lead singers, agian The Cure don't have that.

I think people might be slightly exaggerating how unknown The Cure may be to R/L's audience. Whilst not as ideal a fit as some potential headliners, I'd imagine most would know Friday I'm In Love, Boys Don't Cry and The Lovecats, and songs like In Between Days and Just Like Heaven pop up at various places. I'm not for a second thinking that there's anything more than a very small chance that they'll headline, but so long as they got the balance of the day right by getting a more natural R/L band to sub (as with the Pulp and Strokes) and getting a fairly big Radio 1 band like Chase and Status to headline the tent, they wouldn't do any lasting damage to their reputation as a festival for the younger crowd, and may even tempt a few of the older ones who've drifted away to return.

Could you please point out where I said that they haven't been influential, haven't been namechecked or that Robert Smith isn't recognisable? It's relative, they aren't as publicily connected or in such a high-profile manner as other bands/acts that FR have been comfortable putting on despite being 'older'. Robert Smith may be very recognisable but in a watered down, publicly digestable (as the music media is nowadays) history of music Axl Rose and Jarvis Cocker would get bigger parts (and no that doesn't mean I'm saying that it's deserrved or that The Cure aren't wonderful and influential blah blah blah). What I meant is that other bands who people are saying "well so and so headlined so I can't see why The Cure can't" are different because they are more conencted in the eyes of the target audience. The Pixies comparison is ridiculous as it was seven years ago and the festival has changed a lot since the, but to run with it Pixies had just reformed, there was a lot of hype about it in the media, massive bands of the time like Muse, Radiohead, Foo Fighters had well-publicised opinions on how great they were and that brought them onto the radar of those who wouldn't normally know about them. The Cure are different because no matter how influential they are (and of course they are, I didn't say that they weren't) it isn't thrust down people's throats to raise their profile. Bands may well namecheck them and are influenced by them but unless it's out there in the public view then it isn't going to affect their status amongst the demographics that FR are concerned about.

Anyway this argument could go on forever (or at least until the end of March), I think people are being far too subjective about this and basing ot on how good they are (very) and how good a headliner they'd be (very) rather than the likelihood of them actually being booked. In essence whether they should rather than whether they would. If I'm wrong I'll happily eat my words, but if I'm right I guess it'll get forgotten about and people will continue to make illogical precictions next year and the year after and the year after...although I guess if they don't get announced it doesn't mean I'm right either so I could be wide of the mark whatever the outcome :P

Edited by mrtourette

Probably a fair point, BUT and no one has given an explanation to this since I threw the idea out, why has the blurred image on their website got a point which points to Leeds? Because I'll be honest I only threw the idea out because of that.

http://www.thecure.c....aspx?nid=37683

http://www.thecure.com/events/

The first link has the blurred image of their festival dates before they were announced. The second has the festival points marked off which they have announced (minus a few which haven't been put on yet but their locations are listed). They all match up. You can see Hurricane marked on both. The green point on the blurred map in the UK is clearly to the left of where Hurricane is marked and slightly higher in the map. If you look on the second map you can clearly see that it's near Leeds. I just can't think of a reason why they would have it marked off on the blurred map when they're not going to play there when the blurred map has shown so far that the points marked are where they are going to play. Can anyone? When there are no other festivals which they could play there?

Edited by mrtourette