"burn a Koran day"

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WWIII - you're not wrong there.

I am sure practcally everyone, religious or not, will agree that this is plain lunacy! Certainly not the way forward. I mean, I appreciate that they want to send a message to 'radical element of Islam' but what message does it promote to the multi-millions of people of the Islamic faith who have no issue with the western world and get on with things the same as everyone else?

f**kwits

Nothing like a right wing American lunatic. they probably think they're being patriotic. Like the guys who were beating up anyone with brown skin on 9/11.

Funny though really. A group of people hating another group of people based on a totally, (pretty much proven), fictional entity.

Does anyone want to burn a load of Bibles with me based on how the Catholic church views homosexuality and contraception?

The Muslims getting worked up about it are as nutty as the christians. Someone burns a few books thousands of miles away and a few twats take offence to it. Theres deadly riots and folk get killed. All because of stuff a few stoners made up and put in a book (in Islam's case) 1500 years ago

yeah, cos of course they'd be no wide outrage if Muslims were holding a bible burning day. :lol:

The Muslims getting worked up about it are as nutty as the christians. Someone burns a few books thousands of miles away and a few twats take offence to it. Theres deadly riots and folk get killed. All because of stuff a few stoners made up and put in a book (in Islam's case) 1500 years ago

If one mosque was doing it I guarantee there wouldnt be Catholics protesting about it all over the world. If there was a cartoon published here of the pope being burnt at the stake or whatever, you might get condemnation within Britain but I don't think South America would erupt in protest. Dunno what it is about Islam - might be that because theres just more people in muslim countries that believe its easier for religious leaders to wind them up.

Reading more about it, I bet this church will pull out of this book burning thing at the last minute. Its clearly just a PR exercise - and a very succesful one at that - I'd say that any time you get the president's office issuing a statement on it then you've done pretty well.

Edited by 5co77ie

If one mosque was doing it I guarantee there wouldnt be Catholics protesting about it all over the world. If there was a cartoon published here of the pope being burnt at the stake or whatever, you might get condemnation within Britain but I don't think South America would erupt in protest.

I think you've gone much further than the reality with that statement. The Vatican doesn't have a problem with making pronouncements about any incident anywhere in the world, and via that bringing about complaints from Catholics all over the world.

OK, those complaints might not go as far as protests, and the complaints might just sometimes be private grumblings, but they certainly happen.

I point you in the direction of a book by Dan Brown - a book that wouldn't have gone on to be a worldwide best seller without the protestations of Catholics all over the world.

I point you in the direction of a book by Richard Dawkins - a book that wouldn't have gone on to be a worldwide best seller without the protestations of Catholics all over the world.

Etc, etc, etc.

Dunno what it is about Islam - might be that because theres just more people in muslim countries that believe its easier for religious leaders to wind them up.

A big part of it is the lack of any central 'leader' (that's the equivalent of the Nazi Pope within Catholicism, or the ArchBish for Anglicans), but also how they consider themselves to all be a part of the 'Ummah' - essentially one big family.

If someone insults your Mum, you might well not let it go in the same way you might do if they insulted (say) your dog. It's not much different.

didn't they go mental at south park for something about mohammad. i know they're very precious about that, but with all the stuff in south park about christianity, i can't remember hearing any complaints...

1. it's not a simple case of comparing like with like, as they're not alike things. About the nearest equivalent for Christianity I can think of would be the first item on the BBC 6 o'clock news being an announcement that the Christian god doesn't exist, and that Christians had been getting it all wrong for millenia. If such a thing happened, it certainly wouldn't pass without huge complaints.

2. You obviously went conveniently deaf. ;)

The ten commandments are not exclusively Christian. They are Jewish. And as far as I'm aware, Islam recognises Musa and the ten commandments are within in the Qur'an too.

yep. But that doesn't change them from being messed up.

So your argument is that Christianity is a violent religion and as is Islam. Correct.

Yup. The difference is, because we live in a Christian-led society, we view any Christian violence with a sympathetic eye that we don't use for Muslims.

1. it's not a simple case of comparing like with like, as they're not alike things. About the nearest equivalent for Christianity I can think of would be the first item on the BBC 6 o'clock news being an announcement that the Christian god doesn't exist, and that Christians had been getting it all wrong for millenia. If such a thing happened, it certainly wouldn't pass without huge complaints.

2. You obviously went conveniently deaf. ;)