"burn a Koran day"

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even then. In fact, especially not then. If you get distressed because some halfwit is burning some books and dissin your religion, then that's a shit religion you have. Similarly, if you are distressed because some people want to build a drop in centre near a place that was once bombed by a completely different set of people and think burning some books is the way forward, you have a shit religion too.

There should be an offence of 'being offended when someone disses my religion' punishable by 12 months of community service standing on the town hall steps with a sign saying there is no god.

Not even then. In fact, especially not then. If you get distressed because some halfwit is burning some books and dissin your religion, then that's a shit religion you have. Similarly, if you are distressed because some people want to build a drop in centre near a place that was once bombed by a completely different set of people and think burning some books is the way forward, you have a shit religion too.

There should be an offence of 'being offended when someone disses my religion' punishable by 12 months of community service standing on the town hall steps with a sign saying there is no god.

I'm personally not religious, but I find what this guy's threatening to do offensive. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I think everyone should just ignore the idiot, but I still think what he's doing is offensive. We might think what is in the book is a load of rubbish and its not important, but that book means a hell of a lot to a huge number of people, and we shouldn't just belittle that.

I was thinking about this earlier. If he'd done the same thing 50 years ago there wouldn't have been the same uproar because people simply wouldn't have known about it. Yet it would have been the same act of desecration, he would have been burning the same pile of paper and ink so how come the impact on their religion would have been so minimal as to go unnoticed?

Why shouldn't we? They belittle my non-belief by suggesting I'll rot in hell for not following their path. Of course what he's doing is offensive - that's why he's doing it. But we let Jimmy Carr and Jeremy Clarkson be offensive without worrying about it. We need to stop pandering to anyone of religion. Yes they can have their views. But equally I can have the view that it is ok to take the piss out of their views.

This might have been said but I was talking to a friend of mine that is a muslim and he said the ironic thing is if there is a need to discard the Quran, or any islamic text, then it is burned as it is extremely disrespectful to bin it. If the florida church wanted to offend Islam, maybe they should just have binned it.

Why shouldn't we? They belittle my non-belief by suggesting I'll rot in hell for not following their path. Of course what he's doing is offensive - that's why he's doing it. But we let Jimmy Carr and Jeremy Clarkson be offensive without worrying about it. We need to stop pandering to anyone of religion. Yes they can have their views. But equally I can have the view that it is ok to take the piss out of their views.

I'm confused, you agree its offensive, yet you think people shouldn't be offended by it :blink:

I'm not saying he should be stopped. He should be allowed to do what he wants to do. If he wants to burn some books then let him, but I have sympathy for people who are offended by this. The media gives a very distorted view of religion, there will be a lot of peaceful Muslims, who go about their religion quite privately and in a dignified manner for whom this will be hurtful, because they love their god and they love their faith.

I think religion should be criticised too. We shouldn't be afraid to debate and challenge their beliefs, but I certainly don't think all religion is offensive. The vast majority of people with faith are content to go about what they do privately, and that's cool. I totally respect their right to do that. Considering the majority of the human race hold religious beliefs, you must have a very low opinion of humanity.

A while ago I saw an interview on Sky News with Philip Pullman about his book "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ".

He was asked "Don't you think people will be offended by this book?". His reply, "Of course they will. But nobody has the right to go through life without being offended by someone else's views"

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Edited by windy_miller