Download 2011

Guest Lithium05

Right, I know it's a ways off in the future and by that time we'll be flying to Download in hover cars and there will be colonys on the moon, but someone needs to kick this forum into life!

So, headliner predictions is the name of the game, what say you?!

I'm not as confident as I was about the Foos headlining as I think TCV got a bit of a tepid reception (I may be wrong, it might have just seemed like it from where I stood) but it remains a possibility if they want to play somewhere different... Also the tent was over flowing and then some for Taylor's set. Also if the Foos are a possibility because AC could have talked to Dave this year, it's equally plausable he spoke to Josh about a QOTSA headlining slot next year.

Soundgarden seem likely but it's arguable whether they warrant a headlining slot these days, and should Download want to book a different headliner for a classic rock day, we could see Bon Jovi make his Download debut... However there's also the "never rule them out" duo of Metallica and Iron Maiden, with Maiden doing Soni this year they wouldn't be a wise booking, but like I said, never rule them out.

You've also got the unlikely (due to the size of the band and pop style of music) in Green Day and Muse, massive bands, but would need Download to give them a hell of a pitch/paycheque to get them, and is a risk of alienating the "heavy" fans, particularly if the Foos play too.

Then there's the likes of Linkin Park, Download regulars and 4 years is just about acceptable gap to repeat a headliner.

System of a Down have an outside chance of reforming, but with Serj at Reading/Leeds this year it's plausable that Melvin will have a word in his ear and try and snap them up should they be about. Speaking of reforming Bush have just reformed, no idea how big they were, do the fit the bill as headliners?

Then you've also got other outsiders such as My Chemical Romance, Rush, Van Halen, Ozzy, Tool, Blink 182, GNR, No Doubt, Beastie Boys and Pearl Jam... Does that cover all possibilities?!

I'm going with:

Soundgarden, Queens of the Stoneage and Bon Jovi for now, but I change my mind many times over the next 8 months or so :)

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tricky one for next year. I'd like to think they'd have at least one 'new' headliner and not just recycle previous ones - they managed to have three this year.

I'm going to go for:

System Of A Down

Slipknot (no idea if they've said anything about carrying on - but I reckon they will)

and errrrr.... struggling to think of a 'classic' band.

As much as I'd love to see them I wouldn't bet too much on SOAD reforming - Daron has said that as long as he's playing with Scars on Broadway then scars are his band, not SOAD.

As Scars are now getting active again I don't see a System reunion any time soon. Serj and Shavo have said they're on hiatus, but Daron and John seem a lot colder to the idea.

plus andy has stated how he doesnt even feel QOTSA warrant 2nd from top! i think they may headline the 2nd stage though

Foo Fighters

Soundgarden

Iron Maiden

Rob Zombie

Van Halen

Motley Crue

With Marilyn Manson, QOTSA and Paramore as 2nd stage headliners

FOO FIGHTERS,GREEN DAY,BON JOVI ive been to download every year(except 04 & 08) and would like another new 3 headliners again :) seen Sabbath,S.O.A.D,Tool,Metallica,G&R,Linkin Park,Iron Maiden,Faith No More,Slipknot,Def Leppard,AC/DC,RATM,Aerosmith as headliners and struggle to think of any other bands that havent headlined yet.........so those 3 would do just nicely

soundgarden were/are the same size band as faith no more. foos big poss. van halen good bet for classic rock day. ozzy unlikely as sharon would probably make demands that would make ac/dc appear modest. tool would be great but the festival is bigger now than when they headlined. too soon for MCR. i dont think muse would be out of place. green day seem to want to do their own stadiums at the mo. pearl jam please!!!

my bet - - - foos/soundgarden/van halen

A couple of posts before someone said to him that he should ask Pearl Jam to play Download next year, and he responded something like "thats already been asked".

Someone asked it again and he said "I think that wouldn't be too bad a thing, would it?"

No mention to whether they said yes or no or have even got back to him. I doubt we'll find out for sure until next year at announcement time.

Soundgarden. Probably will be their big major return to the UK.

Iron Maiden. Will be touring new album, would have been 4 years since they played last and doing Soni this year and did htier own big show on the tour before.

Pearl Jam. Nicely fit the 'big classic rock act' space.

I also think Copping has cottoned onto the fact that the Downlaod audience is older and maturer than Reading/Leeds and Sonsipheres and that the odl bands go down really well at Doni.

Edited by Spiral_Low

Soundgarden. Probably will be their big major return to the UK.

Iron Maiden. Will be touring new album, would have been 4 years since they played last and doing Soni this year and did htier own big show on the tour before.

Pearl Jam. Nicely fit the 'big classic rock act' space.

I also think Copping has cottoned onto the fact that the Downlaod audience is older and maturer than Reading/Leeds and Sonsipheres and that the odl bands go down really well at Doni.

Id have a ticket in seconds if Pearl Jam, System of a Down and Foo Fighters got announced

Would be a solid set of headliner imo

And other than needing SOAD to reform first doesn't seem overly unlikely

Tbh i just wanna see Pearl Jam at Download

Id have a ticket in seconds if Pearl Jam, System of a Down and Foo Fighters got announced

Would be a solid set of headliner imo

And other than needing SOAD to reform first doesn't seem overly unlikely

Tbh i just wanna see Pearl Jam at Download

I am officially old, and the thought of PJ, SG and IM headlining next year would be a big "no sale" for me. I LIKE to see some contemporary bands. The next generation of headliners needs to be found, and until someone takes some risks - we are gonna be stuck with maiden, metallica etc for donkeys.