• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

Completely, I'm not disputing that. Just that I felt it ridiculous for Mourinho to say that about Barca/Guardiola considering his European successes have carried an element of referee decisions going his way themselves.

Wouldn't surprise me if he knew it would be laughed at, but was doing it vicariously though; highlight Barcas theatrics to influence the ref in the final. Him nor Madrid will want to see Barca get a 4th European title.

I think its great man management, and its something fergie and wenger do so well.

bad result and it takes the heat of the players, fergie does it time and time again. how many times has fergie blamed the referee? and then the big story is what fergie has said rather than the players playing crap.....genius.

he gets the flak from the media and gets the respect of the players for doing so. In return the players go that extra yard for the manager, couldnt comment on madrid but thats what happened at chelsea.

Wooderson, as you're there. Thoughts on end season? Happy with Kenny's appointment/optimism for next season?

thoughts on missing out on Europa? miss a good opportunity to blood a few of the youngsters? a couple of Liverpool supporting friends of mine are glad as find it a distraction, thursday nights etc, but at the same time part of me wonders the financial hit. Obviously not the same degree as CL, but think it's around £10m in prize money if get to the final, and around 8 home games which would be around £1m per game I guess (assuming average 35k ish).

...wow Taffin's on at midnight!!! :lol:

most managers have there lucky times/descisions.

if mark robins hadnt scored against forest

if dion dublin didnt break his leg, we wouldnt of signed cantona

if we didnt get all the injury time against sheff wed(1992)

If schmeical dived te other way in fa cup semi(99)

lifes fall of maybe and maybe not descisions.

im just hoping jose doesnt get the utd job.

He doesn't f**k up that much. :P Prone to the odd error certainly and it seems when he does make those errors they've been punished but he's been a very good signing and an everpresent pretty much in a team that's won 4 league titles in 5 years and reached 3 CL finals in 4 years. Still needs to be more assertive at times, but a key component in our team and defence.

If you think back to Summer 2006, with all the uncertainty about us. Whilst the 3 previous seasons weren't exactly a disaster as won the Carling Cup in 2005-06 and FA Cup in 2003-04, comparitive to our previous successes of 8 league titles in 11 years they couldn't exactly be considered a huge success.

In 2003-04 we'd finished 3rd, 15 pts behind Arsenal's invinceables and went out at the last 16 in the CL. In 2004-05 3rd again, 18 pts behind Mourinho's Juggernaut and went out last 16 of CL. Then in the summer of 2005 we signed a GK four months short of his 35th birthday for £2m who pretty everyone assumed would only be a stop-gap until he retired, a guy to sell shirts in Asia for £4m and a backup goalkeeper from Stoke for £1m. In September of that season, we lost our previous years player of the year (Heinze) to injury for the rest of the season. In November our captain and one of the best players to play for the club slagged off the team on the clubs TV channel and left by "mutual consent". In January Scholes' career looked to be over after he was ruled out for the rest of the season after he was pretty much partially blind with an eye injury. Solskjaer hadn't played in 18 months. Anyways we then signed a french left back for £5.5m and an unproven at the top level centre back from the russian league for £7m. The left back was dragged off after 45 mins in his first game. Both didn't look entirely convincing for the remainder of the season. Smith then broke his leg in February. As it was, we finished bottom of our group in Europe, but finished 2nd, eight points off Chelsea and won the Carling Cup.

So two back-to-back titles for Mourinho & Chelsea; 95 and 91 pts. and then in the summer of 2006, Chelsea go and sign 3 of the best players in the world at the time:

- Shevchenko; 28 goals the prior season including 9 goals in the CL;

- Ballack; who at the time had 29 international goals in 61 games, 58 goals for Munich in 154 games. Had been voted German footballer of year 3 of the previous 4 years, had been European midfielder of the year previously. Had been voted in the past two international team of the tournaments (World Cup 2002 and Euro 2004) and then after signing that summer, made it 3 in a row getting voted into the World Cup 2006 team of the tournament aswell.

- Cole, one of the best fullbacks in Europe at the time.

....plus another £35m on Mikel, Kalou & Boulahrouz.

In response, we on the other hand sold our most prolific striker since Law; a guy who had scored 150 goals in 219 games (38 goals in 47 CL games), and made our sole summer signing Michael Carrick for £14m (£18.6m after add-ons).

In the opening 17 games of the 06-07 season, we conceded just 9 goals, and picked up 44/51 pts. Lost to West Ham 1-0, then won 11 of our next 13. We won the league, reached the final of the FA cup and reached the Semis of the CL. Carricks been a big part of that and our success thereafter.

Edited by thetime

oh behave if your tryign to say carrick been a big component in man utd success you talking rubbish im afraid, in watching man utd since the mid 80s ive never known a more non risk player in carrick(and they called wilkins the crab). whens the last time carrick dominated a game? scored an important goal?

so dont agree with you on carricks.

its a bit like saying bosnich was a great signing as we had the biggest points win in any of our 12 titles when he played.

Edited by ralph250

Whilst young at the time (3-4) I started suppoting United around 86-87. All I'm saying is his game is underrated imo. His positioning is excellent. His ability to intercept is excellent. I think he's played an important part personally.

Whilst not always performed to these levels week in week out, good video of his last 3 Champions League games. (the first leg against Schalke and the two games against Chelsea).

Edited by thetime

Certainly going to be changes in the squad. Neville's gone, VDS off, Got a feeling Scholes will call it a day. Fergie's confirmed Hargreaves isn't going to get a new contract.

Not sure in the middle though; think we might bring one in, but not sure about two. Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson all signed new contracts recently and aren't going anywhere for a year or two imo, Giggs isn't at least for a seaso. The way Fergie's been talking about the youth, Gibson probably still around, Cleverley returning, Pogba/Tunnicliffe/Morrison/Petrucci etc. Can certainly see one but think Fergie might deem two new recruitments in the middle will block the youngsters.

Talking about joe cole, stevie g didnt have a succesfull season on the pitch but there is no doubt he wins the award for the funniest comment.

"[Lionel] Messi can do some amazing things, but anything he can do Joe can do as well, if not better. He used to shock us in training by doing footy tricks with a golf ball that most players can't even do with a football. I really fancy Joe for the [player of the year] award this season"

Talk of NUFC sniffing round Cole. I hope thats wide of the mark.

Good luck to anyone who gets Enrique next season. Cracking full back, strong as an Ox and great going forward. Not many better in the top flight.

He isnt really acting like he is feeling a lot of shame. I suspect even if the injunction is lifted he will never admit to anything.

I agree that he's not acting like he's ashamed of anything - but the sort of court actions he's taking have me thinking that he really believes they're working as they should do.

He's either got to be the thickest footballer ever to walk the planet (which isn't how I've ever taken him to be) or only (:lol:) hugely fantastically stupid for taking the legal advice that he has.

When - not if - the injunction is lifted there's absolutely nothing he can do to stop people seeing his full admissions of guilt. It's already been reported that the documents include an admission of him of having had an affair (tho in a different manner to how it's claimed by the woman), so if that's true there's nothing he can do to stop it coming out - there is no such thing as a 'forever' injunction.