The word that shall not be mentioned

Guest jeffie

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to mention the word - but this is what Metcheck says about 18 - 27 June - so why oh why is that when Big G is?

18 Jun27 JunThe third and final wave of the 'European Summer Monsoon' brings more wet and windy weather to the UK with further heavy showers.

I enjoyed 2007 but it was massively hard work. Few places to sit down meant I was on my feet for 12 hrs at a time and less inclined to go and see things early on because of the weather. Everything gets wet or muddy by the end of the festival and it takes ages to get anywhere. It didn't put me off but it did put off lots of my friends, I've had a much better time the last couple of years because everythings a lot easier.

I assumed that the Metcheck forecast is their default 'insert here' forecast to use while they don't have any better information.

I'm sure that forecast was up last year.

There was also a "humourous" Glastonbury forecast designed to wind up Glasto-goes, for biblical storms etc. that was mildly amusing :P

It'll be warm, sunny and flowing with cider and any other prediction is heresy!

I assumed that the Metcheck forecast is their default 'insert here' forecast to use while they don't have any better information.

I'm sure that forecast was up last year.

It'll be warm, sunny and flowing with cider and any other prediction is heresy!

When you get wet, you get cold unless its warm water. Unless you mean if its wet (and you have waterproofs on and are therefore dry), then you might not be cold.

I can't understand what a wet festival has going for it over a dry one.

Benefits of a dry festival:-

Can sit where you want without getting wet (and then cold)

Its nice to sit on the grass.

Less 'getting ready' before leaving the tent - wellies, waterproofs etc

Easier to move about

Less messy

Not as cold

More likely to be warm

The site looks nicer

Your things stay dry - no soggy notes, toilet paper, sleeping bag, clothes...

Generally takes less time and is more comfortable to do everything

More relaxing

Benefits of a wet festival:-

Less dust(?!)

Hmmm...

As someone has said here, it being dry (or as dry as possible) is the most important thing for me. Much more than the line-up.

All true.

One other thing - if it rains, Glastonbury somehow finds itself on telly - and I don't mean footage of the acts. I mean interviewing randoms, seeing the 'odd hpipy part that no-one normally goes to'. If it's dry, it's not newsworthy. I found this out last year as I didn't go and saw LOADS of footage on different news channels when it rained, nothing at all after it stopped.

The media will give coverage to the twats wallowing around in the mud, spreading it over each other's heads as they kick around like pigs at a piss up kicking muddy water at people trying to get out of the f**king way of these morons and the cameras they flock around like flies around shit.

That old chestnut - the reporter with the brolly saying 'look at these cerrrrrrazy people! The rain doesn't put them off!' <cuts to footage of two Kate Moss wannabes wearing pink fairy wings and antennae looking like a drag artist coming back from a house party dressed as tinkerbell as they give each other piggy back rides before finally sitting on their camping stools in front of a closed, deserted pyramid stage in heaps of laughter>

Mud! Glastonbury revellers! On the telly! They're brilliantly fun, and don't you wish you were here? Well - no, actually. Not remotely. Now, if you wouldn't mind showing us footage of those folks with IQs in double figures who are able to act differently from performing penguins, I might feel rather jealous. Rain or not. But I don't particulaly enjoy having mud splashed in my face by the trendy-wellied-pink-fairy-winged-mud-in-hair-crazy-f**ktard brigade.

I'm not saying a wet Glasto is better than a dry one, to me they are both the same. The only weather I don't like is cold weather.

And yes you can be wet but not cold actually. In 2005 when the proper storms came, it was warmer than warm warm during and afterwards and messing about in the sticky toffee mud was ace.

I bumped into a press photographer of my acquaintance last year on Saturday when the sun was shining and asked him which acts he'd be looking out for.

He said: "Nah mate, its not about the bands. Yesterday it was all about pretty girls covered in mud. Today its all about pretty girls in the sunshine not wearing much."

I bumped into a press photographer of my acquaintance last year on Saturday when the sun was shining and asked him which acts he'd be looking out for.

He said: "Nah mate, its not about the bands. Yesterday it was all about pretty girls covered in mud. Today its all about pretty girls in the sunshine not wearing much."

All true.

One other thing - if it rains, Glastonbury somehow finds itself on telly - and I don't mean footage of the acts. I mean interviewing randoms, seeing the 'odd hpipy part that no-one normally goes to'. If it's dry, it's not newsworthy. I found this out last year as I didn't go and saw LOADS of footage on different news channels when it rained, nothing at all after it stopped.

The media will give coverage to the twats wallowing around in the mud, spreading it over each other's heads as they kick around like pigs at a piss up kicking muddy water at people trying to get out of the f**king way of these morons and the cameras they flock around like flies around shit.

That old chestnut - the reporter with the brolly saying 'look at these cerrrrrrazy people! The rain doesn't put them off!' <cuts to footage of two Kate Moss wannabes wearing pink fairy wings and antennae looking like a drag artist coming back from a house party dressed as tinkerbell as they give each other piggy back rides before finally sitting on their camping stools in front of a closed, deserted pyramid stage in heaps of laughter>

Mud! Glastonbury revellers! On the telly! They're brilliantly fun, and don't you wish you were here? Well - no, actually. Not remotely. Now, if you wouldn't mind showing us footage of those folks with IQs in double figures who are able to act differently from performing penguins, I might feel rather jealous. Rain or not. But I don't particulaly enjoy having mud splashed in my face by the trendy-wellied-pink-fairy-winged-mud-in-hair-crazy-f**ktard brigade.

That's a tremendous rant, especially as it didn't like it was a rant at the start. Kept the element of surprise, see

Hahaha. There's no accounting for even the most eccentric of tastes I guess.

I'd like to make my plea bargain with fate/the skies/Zorg the Weather God/whoever, right now. It doesn't have to be glorious, I'll just take dry with moderate temperatures now. Thanks. That's all. I mean, 2003 and 2009 were amazing so sun would be nice (I even promise I won't destroy myself with sunstroke and miss Q-Tip again), but dry, reasonable temperature, I'm happy

Double post. I thought my point was valid, but not valid enough to make people read it twice. Sorry.

Edited by Langdale Wolf