Sunday Headliner, to be a Young Persons Band

Guest Pilgrim S

A friend saw Eavis at a talk last night and he was droping his usual hints. One of them was that there would be a move away from the usual traditional old person headliner on the Sunday. The sunday would be a "young persons band". Knowing Eavis, that could mean anything though, as his interpretation of a young persons band might differ from ours.

2012 is the next year off apparently. I assume that isn't news.

He wouldn't deny U2 are playing

Green Day have asked to play, but he doesn't think they are a Glastonbury band. He's not ruled it out totally, and he enjoyed their show at Wembly Arena.

Sunday 5pm slot is someone really big but he wouldn't say who. He did mention is passing, Whitney Houston and Tina Turner though.

So nothing concrete, except the stuff on Green Day, but interesting all the same.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Young Persons Band"??

I'm 34, so wouldn't count myself as young, but my musical taste runs from Motown, The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix through to Flornece and the Machine, La Roux and Dead Weather - with a hell of a lot inbetween.

I realise that Mr Eavis is almost politician-esque in his ability to answer questions whilst not actually answering them, but that's a classic.

I'd say by 'young persons band' he probably means a 'currently popular act' rather than the acts of the last few years (Blur, The Verve, The Who).

I'd reckon Muse are probably quite likely for this spot IMO

whoever it is, it'll be a chart-friendly act of some sort - the locals expect an act they know to headline on the Sunday night, otherwise Eavis gets grief off them for the next year each time he's seen walking down the street.

And given that Michael got loads of grief last time Muse played (they played on the Sunday) cos the locals didn't feel they were known enough and so unsuitable, there's a part of me thinking it won't be Muse.

But having said that, Muse playing that Sunday a few years ago was what established them in the top tier of bands, so perhaps they'll now be considered as suitable by the locals. Who knows? They're a fickle bunch. :P

Young persons band??? I'm 25 so probobly not a young person anymore, but would see this as, foo fighters , muse , green day , arctic monkeys ,White stripes who I think may all be worthy of the headline spot ? I wouldn't b dissapointed by any I the above really ! Oooooo the mind boggles

Young persons band???

I'm sure that Michael said something similar about a headliner in previous years (tho I can't find reference to it), and it turned out to be the idea of someone his age of what a young person's band was, rather than what was really a young person's band.

Has anyone got a better memory than me and remember what band he was on about?

I'm sure that Michael said something similar about a headliner in previous years (tho I can't find reference to it), and it turned out to be the idea of someone his age of what a young person's band was, rather than what was really a young person's band.