Glastonbury, Download or Reading/Leeds?

Guest jackass

I'm in a dilema, a few of my friends want to go to download festival, reading/leeds always has the best lineup and i've heard a lot about glastonbury being the best no matter whos playing but which is the best and what should i go to??

Having been to the old 'download' IE monsters of rock festival in donnington I really enjoyed it at the time

and it did have a prestige amongst rock/heavy metal acts - however at the time it wasn't a multiday event

so you can't really compare; Nowadays download is multiday , but there is subdivisions of genres - On the sunday I would have loved to see the 'old school' Journey (who were brilliant by all accounts) Whitesnake and Def leppard, but don't care much for the other two days of bands so its a non starter for me;

I would guess that if you are heavilly into metal then glastonbury wouldn't offer you too much exitement, as they tend to avoid these sort of bands although prodigy, pendulum and SPINAL TAP (or is it Spaniel tap)

did well this year.

Glastonbury on the other hand is about the overall experience rather than specific bands - its on a much grander scale than V reading and Dowload put together! And it suits all ages and all types of music (and non music) fan You could spend the week wandering in the arts and crafts side and not see a single band but still come away with contentment.

I have never been to V or Reading but apart from some mainstream bands , my view is that its much more corporate driven - Summed up by Lilly allen recently when she was helicoptered in after watching the ashes at lunchtime for her slot recently- ithey are just a take the money and run gig... Glastonbury bands don't get paid much in their terms but do it for the prestige.

Glastonbury also starts on wednesday and ends on monday - the vibe is undescribable if you haven't done it - Everybody is happy (generally) come rain or shine

Edited by drewsstrat

If you're into metal music then download, if you're into nme indie music/a bit of emo/a bit of metal Reading, and if you want to go to a festival that isn't just about music go to Glastonbury!

The line up at Glastonbury is never really the best of the year, Reading or T will have all the flavours of the month, but you tend to get more acts at Glastonbury to make it an occasion.

If you're into metal music then download, if you're into nme indie music/a bit of emo/a bit of metal Reading, and if you want to go to a festival that isn't just about music go to Glastonbury!

The line up at Glastonbury is never really the best of the year, Reading or T will have all the flavours of the month, but you tend to get more acts at Glastonbury to make it an occasion.

Ive been to 5 leeds and a reading and had a good time at all of them, but for me it has to be glasto. Reading and leeds feel like massive gigs with camping...

Where as glasto feels like visiting an alternative city that only exsists for a week and has some of the worlds best bands and djs playing free gigs in venues all over it.

However saying that if metal is your thing Download's probably for you.

Ive been to 5 leeds and a reading and had a good time at all of them, but for me it has to be glasto. Reading and leeds feel like massive gigs with camping...

Where as glasto feels like visiting an alternative city that only exsists for a week and has some of the worlds best bands and djs playing free gigs in venues all over it.

However saying that if metal is your thing Download's probably for you.

Don't think of Glasto as a place to see bands - though you'll do that. Glastonbury is an experience like no other. It's not a music festival, it's a gathering. There's nothing to touch it.

That said, there could be a push for tickets next year so if you're in any doubt, go to any other festival and leave the Glasto tickets for those that can't go a summer without it.

Don't think of Glasto as a place to see bands - though you'll do that. Glastonbury is an experience like no other. It's not a music festival, it's a gathering. There's nothing to touch it.

That said, there could be a push for tickets next year so if you're in any doubt, go to any other festival and leave the Glasto tickets for those that can't go a summer without it.

Systematically destroy the appeal of Download to them by pointing out all the ways in which Glastonbury is better.

- More people (More lasses to meet, Download probably isn't famed for its totty)

- Dozens of stages

- A far greater variety of music

- It lasts for 5 days, this means more drinking/drugs/whatever your bag is

etc etc

This tactic might not work if your friends are huge metal heads but it's worth a try, especially if it results in you experiencing the best festival in the world.

i have been waiting to go to glastonbury since i was 8 but my parents wouldn't let me so im pretty sure i wanna go but my friends that are in doubt and wanna go to download because thats the music they seem to like and i dont wanna go to glastonbury on my own if its not worth it

Glastonbury is a festival, the rest are just gigs in a field!!!!

Its like being a kid....as soon as the headline act finishes its time for bed.....back to your tents!!!!!

booooooooooooo hisssssssssss!!!!

Wheres your Trash City with its all night fire disco.....or ust random crazy stuff around the stone circle!!

Glasto for me..................Peel tent for the kids, Jazz world for your dad and the Glade for your grandpa!!!!

Leeds and v were nothing compared to Glasto, i've done all three but nowadays only get chance to go to one a year, no question glastonbury every time.

I never care what the line up is, good job seen as though it's never announced before ticket day, but always find plenty to see and do.

Generally a much more chilled out affair!!!

Never been to download though but not really my cup of tea!!!!