Glastonbury, Download or Reading/Leeds?

Guest jackass

I have done Reading, Leeds, V (staffs) and Glastonbury and I can safely say G is the best. I enjoyed Reading as my first festival, but it was the little things like finding "the magical sing song bridge" or seeing 30 people hurtle after a guy being pushed in a shopping trolley dressed as Jesus that I loved, Glastonbury is full of that and those two examples are the only I have from Reading.

Leeds was ok but a worry as even though there wasn't rioting when I went (rain!) it was in the back of my mind, but I found the actual site too small and there was of course the arena no alcohol deal and no entertainment after the bands ended.

V (in my oppinion) had no atmosphere and was full of people I just didn't want to spend 2 days with. V is also as expensive as Leeds/Reading (or near enough) for a whole day less of music. Not my cuppa!

Glastonbury all the way, I can book my ticket without having even heard rumours about a lineup in the comfortable knowledge that I'll have a f**king amazing time!

Glastonbury > Download > Reading/Leeds

As much as i love the lineup at Download and Reading, it still can't compare to Glastonbury overall. Atmosphere I've found is still generally good at Download. Reading Leeds I stopped going to when i was 20 as i was starting to feel old even back then compared to most of the people there. That and from my experience it tended to have more idiots than the other two festivals.

Just to give you some background to me, I grew up as a huge fan of the metal / nwobhm scene in the 80's an old school metal fan if you like, I'm still in to that scene and still go those type of gigs, however I suppose with age (only 39 btw) my musical tastes have grown, changed, expanded, more notably since 2000 when i can now be quite happy shaking some dandruff with the likes of maiden, metallica etc, watching some shoe gazing band, raving it up with a dance/electonic band or being party of the mysterious underground scene.

Why 2000? Well i'd been on the sick for pretty 12 months, been down in the dumps etc (wont bore you with the details) and me mate insisted I go along to Glasto with him and a few other bods he knew but i didnt, I'd never been to Glasto before purley because whenever I saw the line up it never much appealed to me but my mate insisted not to worry about the line up so i agreed and went there with an open mind as i'll always try anything once.

Imagine someone in a field, gazing around 360 degrees with their jaw dropped to the floor for 7 days (wed to tues!), that was me! Glastonbury undoubtably changed alot of things in my life, its hard to put into words what it does to people, it's like I'm a grown man and i can be in at a random place at glasto in a crowd surrounded by strangers and i'll be tingling all over and my eyes will be watering and the adrenalin pumping because something incredible will be happening.

That first Glastonbury opened my world to a host of music I would never normally had listened to. But theres also so much more than music, it is afterall the glastonbury festival of contemporary arts, yes music plays a huge part but theres just so much, im sure you've read about them so again i wont bore you. I always said after my 1st experience that i would never miss another another glasto (i have once due to my mates wedding the bugger) and if i ever had the choice of where i died and where to be buried or scattered then there's no other no other place i'd rather be.

It's so hard to put into words how phenonimal the experince is but I've been there & done them all, small, medium big festivals the lot, you could bag together download, reading, v, t, and more, and they wouldn't get anywhere near the experience you get from a week at Pilton Farm. If anyone ever asked me do I have any regrets in life? I can only ever think of one, I regret I didn't experience Glastonbury Festival sooner!

In a nutshell go to Glasto try it once and after it all it you'll hopefully be lost for words and you'll never ask this question again.

Just to give you some background to me, I grew up as a huge fan of the metal / nwobhm scene in the 80's an old school metal fan if you like, I'm still in to that scene and still go those type of gigs, however I suppose with age (only 39 btw) my musical tastes have grown, changed, expanded, more notably since 2000 when i can now be quite happy shaking some dandruff with the likes of maiden, metallica etc, watching some shoe gazing band, raving it up with a dance/electonic band or being party of the mysterious underground scene.

Why 2000? Well i'd been on the sick for pretty 12 months, been down in the dumps etc (wont bore you with the details) and me mate insisted I go along to Glasto with him and a few other bods he knew but i didnt, I'd never been to Glasto before purley because whenever I saw the line up it never much appealed to me but my mate insisted not to worry about the line up so i agreed and went there with an open mind as i'll always try anything once.

Imagine someone in a field, gazing around 360 degrees with their jaw dropped to the floor for 7 days (wed to tues!), that was me! Glastonbury undoubtably changed alot of things in my life, its hard to put into words what it does to people, it's like I'm a grown man and i can be in at a random place at glasto in a crowd surrounded by strangers and i'll be tingling all over and my eyes will be watering and the adrenalin pumping because something incredible will be happening.

That first Glastonbury opened my world to a host of music I would never normally had listened to. But theres also so much more than music, it is afterall the glastonbury festival of contemporary arts, yes music plays a huge part but theres just so much, im sure you've read about them so again i wont bore you. I always said after my 1st experience that i would never miss another another glasto (i have once due to my mates wedding the bugger) and if i ever had the choice of where i died and where to be buried or scattered then there's no other no other place i'd rather be.

It's so hard to put into words how phenonimal the experince is but I've been there & done them all, small, medium big festivals the lot, you could bag together download, reading, v, t, and more, and they wouldn't get anywhere near the experience you get from a week at Pilton Farm. If anyone ever asked me do I have any regrets in life? I can only ever think of one, I regret I didn't experience Glastonbury Festival sooner!

In a nutshell go to Glasto try it once and after it all it you'll hopefully be lost for words and you'll never ask this question again.

What ever you do pal,don't take your mob to Leeds/Reading.

It's now just a horrid overcrowded stinking excuse of a festival(just got back!!).The attitude of the "younger generation" attending Leeds is truly awful and the atmos. created in the campsites is bloody scary for the Sunday.

You seem a decent type.Get your pals pursuaded to do Glasto.The logistics can be tricky ,particularly in respect of transport but.....it really is worth it!!!

Let's hope the "couldn't give a toss" attitude doesn't permeate through to Glasto. particularly from the 18 to 25 year old group.

Hope I'm not sounding too much like the old fart I'm becoming. :D

Hey Jackass,

I reckon by your signature you've already made up your mind.

Show this to your mates.

I reckon this would tempt most 'young un's' with a pulse to come to Glastonbury in search of adventure.

If they still say no...ditch 'em and come on your own

Edited by warriormonk

I went to my first glasto this year, and I loved it, i can't wait to go back, it seems that I talk about the experience at least once a day. Ive never really fancied Leeds, but as the KOL were headlining, i went on the sunday, and was pretty open minded about another festival...... but i really didnt enjoy the feeling of Leeds. It seemed like it was on outdoor concert, rather than a festival.

What really struck me was that Leeds was so small in comparison to Glasto, and that there isnt really much to do, apart from watch the stages, there are no crazy little places that i discovered when i was walking round glasto!

Also the feeling of the crowds were different at both festivals, i didnt see any trouble at glasto, and everyone appeared friendly, and happy to talk to anyone and everyone, but there were scuffles in the crowds through a few acts at Leeds, and it seemed the majority of the crowd were drunk teenagers that wouldnt remember much of the acts when mommy and daddy collected them the following morning.

Im glad i went to Leeds, as KOL were amazing, but it really highlighted to me there is only one real festival, and im hoping to get tickets for it in October!

I've been to Glastonbury, T in the Park, Lovebox, V Festival and Leeds festival this year. So although this isn't a direct response to the OP's original question, i feel quite well qualified to comment on the general debate...

Glastonbury is the absolute daddy of all festivals. Pure and simple. And Leeds is the antithesis of what is good about Glastonbury.

I think each and every one of the festivals i have attended this year had their own benefits:

Glastonbury: I don't need to list the virtues of Glastonbury on this forum, so i won't.

T in the Park had a brilliant line up (and very diverse, from Pet Shop Boys to Nine Inch Nails to Katy Perry) and an absolutely brilliant, fun crowd.

Lovebox was a great chance to discover some great new bands in a really well presented location, with brilliant food and a really happy vibe.

V Festival was cracking good fun for the older crowd i went with - a little bit tame, but a poppy line-up which kept us entertained (although i won't be hurrying back).

Leeds has no redeeming features whatsoever. There are literally no aspects of the whole festival that haven't been done better elsewhere. It has no USP.

Compared to Glastonbury in particular the site is a disorganised shambles - it almost feels like it's been smashed together with no foresight at all. There are no toilets down the left hand side of the bloody main stage! Everyone watching an act at the main venue needs to cut right through the crowd to get into the top right corner of the field for a piss. It's absolutely absurd. Couple this with the ridiculously sized (and for some reason closed during KoL apparently) walkways and you've got a potential disaster waiting to happen. I'm aware that Glasto is not bulletproof when it comes to these things, but it seems to be able to manage the infrastructure of hosting such a massive event much more effectively. 'Hygiene factors' such as these should be a given, not a privelege.

I've posted this next paragraph on the Leeds/Reading site, but felt it might be worth reproducing here in it's entirety:

As for the punters, i just can't understand why anyone would tolerate such inane idiocy ever again. The previous poster who criticised the 'sloganeering' rather than talking/chatting hit the nail on the head. The kind of penis-breathed arsewipes who think it's hilarious to throw full cans of lager at trees so they explode over passing girls ought to have their Stronbow rammed up their arses. The morons who piss all over their own campsites and shit in carrier bags on their doorstep ought to have their bloody noses rubbed in it. And those mongoloids intent on choking everyone to death on acrid tent fumes ought to be zipped into their sleeping bags and drowned in the tanks under the toilets. I know that there are rowdy idiots at every festival, but Leeds really plumbs new depths. I've always been slightly indiferent to the occasional dickhead as they are a minority. But there are so many of them at Leeds that it's difficult to ignore and impossible not to feel sympathy for those who have their experience ruined by some pathetic ingrates.

Large swathes of the crowd consisted of 'Skins' generation kids who'd clearly never been let off their leash before and didn't know how to react or behave at all. I'm all for drinking/drugging/misbehaving, but there are certain parameters which need to be adhered to. Those 'moral' behaviours were simply non-existent at Leeds and made me pine for the crowds at Glasto who'll share a spliff, have a banter, watch out for your tent, lend you a cig, borrow a beer or whatever. At Leeds i felt like i wa more likely to get fist or a boot smashed into my head than a decent conversation with a random. The line-up is maybe a factor in this as it certainly seems to attract a younger crowd (lots of people with 'leavers 09' clothing on), but i've been attending festivals since i was knee-high to a grasshopper and i wasn't a completely reprehensible reprobate back then!

And also, there seems to have been some suggestion that 'lack of things to do' once the bands stop might have been responsible for misbehaviour in the past. That's certainly no excuse this time. Although there was not nearly as much to do as there is at Glasto, there is still the Relentless Tent, Gaymers Tent, Silent Disco, Fun Fair, Oxjam Tent, Campsite DJs and various other late night/early morning stuff to do.

I've never felt so alienated at a festival, and have certainly never been too scared to go to sleep at night. But i was here. I live 15 minutes from Bramham Park but could not think of a single reason (other than the Beatles reforming to headline) that would tempt me back to this piss poor excuse of a festival.

You don't realise how good Glastonbury is until you've got something truly awful to compare it to. You kids don't know how luck you are/you don't know what you've got til it's gone/ad infinitum.

Edited by serginhowardinho

I've been to Glastonbury, T in the Park, Lovebox, V Festival and Leeds festival this year. So although this isn't a direct response to the OP's original question, i feel quite well qualified to comment on the general debate...

Glastonbury is the absolute daddy of all festivals. Pure and simple. And Leeds is the antithesis of what is good about Glastonbury.

I think each and every one of the festivals i have attended this year had their own benefits:

Glastonbury: I don't need to list the virtues of Glastonbury on this forum, so i won't.

T in the Park had a brilliant line up (and very diverse, from Pet Shop Boys to Nine Inch Nails to Katy Perry) and an absolutely brilliant, fun crowd.

Lovebox was a great chance to discover some great new bands in a really well presented location, with brilliant food and a really happy vibe.

V Festival was cracking good fun for the older crowd i went with - a little bit tame, but a poppy line-up which kept us entertained (although i won't be hurrying back).

Leeds has no redeeming features whatsoever. There are literally no aspects of the whole festival that haven't been done better elsewhere. It has no USP.

Compared to Glastonbury in particular the site is a disorganised shambles - it almost feels like it's been smashed together with no foresight at all. There are no toilets down the left hand side of the bloody main stage! Everyone watching an act at the main venue needs to cut right through the crowd to get into the top right corner of the field for a piss. It's absolutely absurd. Couple this with the ridiculously sized (and for some reason closed during KoL apparently) walkways and you've got a potential disaster waiting to happen. I'm aware that Glasto is not bulletproof when it comes to these things, but it seems to be able to manage the infrastructure of hosting such a massive event much more effectively. 'Hygiene factors' such as these should be a given, not a privelege.

I've posted this next paragraph on the Leeds/Reading site, but felt it might be worth reproducing here in it's entirety:

As for the punters, i just can't understand why anyone would tolerate such inane idiocy ever again. The previous poster who criticised the 'sloganeering' rather than talking/chatting hit the nail on the head. The kind of penis-breathed arsewipes who think it's hilarious to throw full cans of lager at trees so they explode over passing girls ought to have their Stronbow rammed up their arses. The morons who piss all over their own campsites and shit in carrier bags on their doorstep ought to have their bloody noses rubbed in it. And those mongoloids intent on choking everyone to death on acrid tent fumes ought to be zipped into their sleeping bags and drowned in the tanks under the toilets. I know that there are rowdy idiots at every festival, but Leeds really plumbs new depths. I've always been slightly indiferent to the occasional dickhead as they are a minority. But there are so many of them at Leeds that it's difficult to ignore and impossible not to feel sympathy for those who have their experience ruined by some pathetic ingrates.

Large swathes of the crowd consisted of 'Skins' generation kids who'd clearly never been let off their leash before and didn't know how to react or behave at all. I'm all for drinking/drugging/misbehaving, but there are certain parameters which need to be adhered to. Those 'moral' behaviours were simply non-existent at Leeds and made me pine for the crowds at Glasto who'll share a spliff, have a banter, watch out for your tent, lend you a cig, borrow a beer or whatever. At Leeds i felt like i wa more likely to get fist or a boot smashed into my head than a decent conversation with a random. The line-up is maybe a factor in this as it certainly seems to attract a younger crowd (lots of people with 'leavers 09' clothing on), but i've been attending festivals since i was knee-high to a grasshopper and i wasn't a completely reprehensible reprobate back then!

And also, there seems to have been some suggestion that 'lack of things to do' once the bands stop might have been responsible for misbehaviour in the past. That's certainly no excuse this time. Although there was not nearly as much to do as there is at Glasto, there is still the Relentless Tent, Gaymers Tent, Silent Disco, Fun Fair, Oxjam Tent, Campsite DJs and various other late night/early morning stuff to do.

I've never felt so alienated at a festival, and have certainly never been too scared to go to sleep at night. But i was here. I live 15 minutes from Bramham Park but could not think of a single reason (other than the Beatles reforming to headline) that would tempt me back to this piss poor excuse of a festival.

You don't realise how good Glastonbury is until you've got something truly awful to compare it to. You kids don't know how luck you are/you don't know what you've got til it's gone/ad infinitum.

I'll sum it up with music ;)

Glastonbury - Come together as one - primal scream. I think so.

Download - Raining blood - SLAYER.. er.. yeah.

R/L - Same as download.

Now from other threads, i'v seen you are the age i was when i went to my first glasto! Let me tell you my friend.. GLASTONBURY. Partys non stop! Great bands! Bloody amazing people! Everything is just, amazing. its my favourite place i'v ever been to.. EVER. So don't be silly.. GLASTONBURY 2010 HERE I COME! :lol: