To Flag Or Not To Flag?

Guest Sam.

Should flags be allowed into the arena areas at Glastonbury?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Should flags be allowed into the arena areas at Glastonbury?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burn them all! As soon they spotted a flame thrower should be used. FLAMEEEEEEEEEES

and maybe used the people with the flag to as they just want to be seen on telly so they can be like"Anit I cool, i was on telly at glasto Ya?"

Edited by LondonTom

Someone who willing and knowingly spoils someone else's enjoyment of an act simply because they want the tiny ego boost associated with a fleeting glimpse of their flag on TV is a dickhead. In much the same way, anyone who'd willingly and knowingly pollute the local river by pissing in the bushes because they can't be arsed to walk to the nearest toilet is a dickhead. Or someone who throws a cup full of piss in the crowd - dickhead.

A dickhead is a dickhead, whether they're at Glasto or not. There's no point in pretending dickheads don't exist just because we're talking about Glastonbury :lol:

Banning flags would "knowingly spoil the enjoyment" of those who like to take them. Isn't this another, potentially just as valid, point of view.

Well let's see, looking at the poll results we have a significant majority which if scaled up equates to tens of thousands of people who are having their enjoyment spoiled by a couple of hundred oblivious idiots flag wavers.

You work it out - try applying some objectivity.

Of course - a flag blocking your view of the stage is as bad as a cup of piss on your head. Well - I don't know about you, but I'm thinking I'd probably choose the flag every time.

But you don't get to choose - if people's personal enjoyment is sacred and lobbing cups of piss into the crowd is your thing so be it! :angry:

Cant see it being able to be enforced at the G tho...maybe we may see some kind of announcements in the future before the shows start but banning flags aint prob going to happen at Glasto. Quite WHY it is so out of hand there I cant figure out but my personal bug is the shiteness of the flags...crap silly messages and national flags...meh!

Theres no comparison between the things you describe.

People don't take flags for the purpose of "willingly and knowingly spoiling the enjoyment of others". Why would you think that? Really? Surely thats just a bit paranoid when you really think about it?

They take them to help them find each other in a crowd, to be sociable because other people come up and talk to them about their flag, and because they think they are part of the spirit of Glastonbury. Some may take them to "get on the telly". So what? Who is to decide that your need to "see" the artist on stage, rather than listen and enjoy the atmosphere, is more important than their wish to be on the telly?

People who carry flags do not have a special force field that prevents their view being obscured. They can't see either. So I guess they believe the view of the act on stage is of secondary importance to the scene of the arena, which they have gone to effort of contrbuting to.

Banning flags would "knowingly spoil the enjoyment" of those who like to take them. Isn't this another, potentially just as valid, point of view.

I don't mind them, they are part of the scenery. I don't know if I would miss them if they weren't there because I've got used to them. So I probably would've voted "undecided" if it wasn't for the completely disproportionate response of the anti-flag movement.

Of course - a flag blocking your view of the stage is as bad as a cup of piss on your head. Well - I don't know about you, but I'm thinking I'd probably choose the flag every time.

So people think it is impossible to ban flags in front of the stage at Glastonbury - as they hae done at Reading.

How to get flags banned in front of the stage at Glastonbury - all we need is a few people to bring some Nazi flags in 2010.

If these turned up, I'm sure that the organisers would work out a system to ban them by 2011 - particularly if it were made it look a little bit more like a Nuremberg rally in front of the stage.

The point being - if it becomes an issue (which in my opinion it already has) the organisers will find a work around to stop people bringing flags to the front of the stage.

Though walking round with a Nazi flag at Glastonbury is probably one of the most ill advised things you could ever do.

Edited by barrychuckle

I'm pretty sure this year there is a direct correlation between the number of flags and the fact they were selling flags on site! Don't have that stall and I'm sure they'll reduce.

I hate this argument and I wish I didn't keep getting drawn back in.

lLke I say - the thing thats put me on this side of the fence isn't my love of flags (don't care), but the level of anger and hostility towards people who carry them. That makes me far sadder than not being able to see the band ever could.

always felt that the flags add something special to the atmosphere on pyramid.

this year however it seemed to go to another level and i have to admit they became annoying where previously i've been more than tolerant.

begrudginlgy i think the time has come for them to either go completely, or be strictly limited in some manner which doesnt spoil the view of folks further back on the feild or who watch on the screens alone.

...at the very least ensure that f***er with the 'SAUSAGE' banner doesn't get on site next year....

That's what I thought! However if you mean in front of the stages then NO! They are fine further back and at the campsites but, when it's just to show your mates where you were in the crowd when watching the highlights :lol: