To Flag Or Not To Flag?

Guest Sam.

Should flags be allowed into the arena areas at Glastonbury?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Should flags be allowed into the arena areas at Glastonbury?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I agree with you to a degree but that's not a 'constant' that can be applied to all subjects - I don't think you'd be on safe ground applyng it to Womad goers complaining about the toilet situation this year for instance.

I've seen threads with many vocal complainers on a given subject, but a poll on the issue goes heavily against them which is a demonstration of what you're talking about.

Here we have the poll strongly confirming the trend in the posts. That's a pretty good indication in my book that it's not just a vocal minority (but I can tell that by the posts alone tbh)

77 - 36 - 6

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I'm stood trying to watch a band, the flags can annoy. But certainly not to the point that it overtakes my enjoyment. Myself nor my buddies have ever, nor will ever take flags with us. But I can't deny that during a popular set, when the need to go to the toilet attacks, flags nearby become a very useful meeting point.

I don't know how you'd police it if they were to be banned - The vast open space of Glasto where you can come and go as you please would surely be affected if a ban were to be brought in? I would much rather have flags than a situation where the ability to roam freely was compromised by flag police.

But certainly, the big, horrible 'LOOK AT ME I'M CRAZY' flags are becoming tiresome.

Overall - 'undecided'.

Aside from glass and animals, nothing is banned at Glasters and IMHO thats how it should stay. OK, flags are a mild annoyance, but not worthy of the excessive vitriol exerted here.

5 days of relative freedom from the shite and over zealous rules and regs of the outside world, and all folk want to do is put more rules and regs in place! Fooking barking if you ask me...

I agree that this poll is probably showing the true opinion on this forum. But i seriously didnt know that flags bothered anyone until it was mentioned on Efests. If anything me & my friends take great enjoyment in reading the funny ones. Saw one at Tinthepark one year that simply said "Ian Beale". I thought that was genius. Pissed myself at the time and still makes me laugh whenever i think about. If they banned flags i would get any more funny memories like this. Dunno why everyone hates the "I love sausages" one. I think its hilarious!

I think i'll take a flag if i manage to get tickets for next year!

I agree that this poll is probably showing the true opinion on this forum. But i seriously didnt know that flags bothered anyone until it was mentioned on Efests. If anything me & my friends take great enjoyment in reading the funny ones. Saw one at Tinthepark one year that simply said "Ian Beale". I thought that was genius. Pissed myself at the time and still makes me laugh whenever i think about. If they banned flags i would get any more funny memories like this. Dunno why everyone hates the "I love sausages" one. I think its hilarious!

I think i'll take a flag if i manage to get tickets for next year!

Some of them make me laugh as well but isn't a mega several hour long laughter bonanza y'know.

Before the flag infestation there was always random eye candy going on in the crowd. A shopping trolley held aloft traversing the pit and disappearing out the other side, random stuff thrown in the air, a stuffed kids toy over there followed by a sleeping bag or something, the ODD flag etc. But I'm bemused rather than AMused by this peculiar to glasto TV inspired flag overkill thing that's grown over recent years.

btw It ain't just an efests thing

Aside from glass and animals, nothing is banned at Glasters and IMHO thats how it should stay. OK, flags are a mild annoyance, but not worthy of the excessive vitriol exerted here.

5 days of relative freedom from the shite and over zealous rules and regs of the outside world, and all folk want to do is put more rules and regs in place! Fooking barking if you ask me...

I don't think for a minute glasto will ban flags - it would need to be dealt with differently to that. A request from the organisors, something in the fine guide and programme maybe. oh I dunno :lol:

I don't think for a minute glasto will ban flags - it would need to be dealt with differently to that. A request from the organisors, something in the fine guide and programme maybe. oh I dunno :lol:

Some of them make me laugh as well but isn't a mega several hour long laughter bonanza y'know.

Before the flag infestation there was always random eye candy going on in the crowd. A shopping trolley held aloft traversing the pit and disappearing out the other side, random stuff thrown in the air, a stuffed kids toy over there followed by a sleeping bag or something, the ODD flag etc. But I'm bemused rather than AMused by this peculiar to glasto TV inspired flag overkill thing that's grown over recent years.

btw It ain't just an efests thing

For me a festival is all about having a good time with your mates and the randoms you meet. The fact that music festivals have bands playing is a pure bonus for me! So yeah to me it is a mega several hour long laugh bonanza!

But i dont think its right to bring a flag just to appear on telly!

Assuming flags are banned from in front of the stage, are we hoping other things will also be banned. I'm thinking people taller than 5'10", hats that either widen or heighten the head sillhouette, and anyone sitting on anybody elses shoulders, unless female, attractive, and topless. Things on sticks would have to undergo a screening process by stewards to ensure they meet a minimum standard of comedic value.

A fenced in area would be set up near the disabled platform for flags, and anything else that might obstruct vision.

Possibly an area could be set up elsewhere where people could throw piss at each other.

Edited by dr_billy

It's just arragonce and the lack of respect for others by flag bearers (not all) that annoys me. They know if they have a flag it will un-doubtably block someones view if they stand close to the front but they bloody do it anyway.

I like a funny flag but common sense people please, don't go down the front.

I don't like moaning about anything at festivals but flags blocking the view of the stage really annoys me and my friends.

Assuming flags are banned from in front of the stage, are we hoping other things will also be banned. I'm thinking people taller than 5'10", hats that either widen or heighten the head sillhouette, and anyone sitting on anybody elses shoulders, unless female, attractive, and topless. Things on sticks would have to undergo a screening process by stewards to ensure they meet a minimum standard of comedic value.

A fenced in area would be set up near the disabled platform for flags, and anything else that might obstruct vision.

Possibly an area could be set up elsewhere where people could throw piss at each other.

I am very short so I have spent my whole life having my view of anything interesting usually blocked by a tall person or someone with a massive hair do, so TBH I didn't really expect to see a huge amount of any of the main stages, esp as I cannot do going down the front (gives me the heebie jeebies in a IIIII CAAANT GET OUT I AM GOING TO DIIIIE kind of way", so naturally, I avoid that) but the times I magically could see the stage was bloody excellent.

I went to see Blur on sunday and had a really nice view of the stage and was properly excited. Then The Flags drifted in and I could see Flags and nowt else. It didn't spoil anything because I had a truely Ace night but it could have been really much much better if the flags had been a bit smaller and a bit higher and not right across the front of the stage.

I spose I would be in favour of flag moderation, could they not have a semi circle inside which flags are a No? On sunny days the flags waving definately did make a lovely atmosphere and I have a picture of just that which I love. So I wouldn't want to see them gone entirely.

I think my fave thing was the Wombles on sticks. I really chuckled seeing them bopping about.

This would be so easy to police, just have a no flag policy within the front stage barrier & the next crush barrier. Problem solved

This was my view of Springsteen

AroundSite5-Glastonbury2009-GS-28.jpg

This was Kasabian

AroundSite5-Glastonbury2009-GS-25.jpg

So lets not even bother having artists on a stage & just have huge screens 40 feet in the air, that should do the trick

But you've then got to enforce it, devoting staff to policng the perimeter of your area, and judging what constitutes a flag, as opposed to a thing on a stick.

To be honest the distance you are away from the stage during Kasabian means you'd see sweet F.A. flags or no flags. I also think the flags during Bruce look great.

It's a festival, where people can let their hair down and not have to worry about the rules too much, we need as little regulation as possible.

Even pissing in the bushes isn't banned, just discouraged. Same with Gazebos. Glass is sensibly banned, otherwise it's anything goes within the limit of the law.

This would be so easy to police, just have a no flag policy within the front stage barrier & the next crush barrier. Problem solved

This was my view of Springsteen

AroundSite5-Glastonbury2009-GS-28.jpg

This was Kasabian

AroundSite5-Glastonbury2009-GS-25.jpg

So lets not even bother having artists on a stage & just have huge screens 40 feet in the air, that should do the trick