Unbearably hot in Tent !

Guest DaveMac

Okay, I had a number of lateish nights, like you do at Glasto, and went off to bed in my little tent normally between 3am and 4am hoping to get a good rest; ready for the next days fun....

Inevitably however about 9am I would wake up absolutely covered in sweat as my tent seemed to have turned into a full on sauna! Under these conditions it was far too hot to stay in the tent so I had to get up in a groggy state and have a much earlier start to the day than I planned. ;)

I don't remember being so hot in my tent consistantly as this year. I have heard people took relective foil from Poundland etc as a counter measure and indeed so did I but I forgot the pegs to hold it in place. So I gave them away to other people who had leaks in their tents etc on the day I arrived.

I would be interested in hearing how other people fared. Were other people forced out of their tents by the heat or was it just me who suffered this?

Also did people who used the reflective foil get good results or not. I had heard the foil could be noisy in the wind btw - dunno how true that was either.

Anyway your thoughts and comments on this matter would be appreciated.

Anyone use any other means of keeping their tent cool in the morning heat?

PS Those with aircon campervans can keep their smug comments to themselves :angry:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes....

I also had a sauna for a tent.

Going to bed at 0530hrs, and being woken up at 0730hrs by the heat of the sun, thrashing around in a pool of your own sweat is no fun.

In my case, I blame a dark coloured, single-skin, unventilated tent.

The only way I got around it was to open the flap and stick my feet outside.

But, you know... once you're up, you're up! :angry:

Yes....

I also had a sauna for a tent.

Going to bed at 0530hrs, and being woken up at 0730hrs by the heat of the sun, thrashing around in a pool of your own sweat is no fun.

In my case, I blame a dark coloured, single-skin, unventilated tent.

The only way I got around it was to open the flap and stick my feet outside.

But, you know... once you're up, you're up! :angry:

It really was hell when the heat kicked in, I found myself being more tired (Obviously) which led to me wanting to go for a nap in the day which was also impossible due to the heat.

Bad times - but on the other hand it did lead to me seeing some early acts that I probably wouldn't have seen at any other time...

It seems quite common with modern lightweight fabrics, even when you have two layers. But do you have the same problem with canvas?

I don't think the colour of the tent made that much difference, my tent was cream coloured and I was still boiling in the mornings. It's a pain in the arse when you wrap up warm to get to sleep then wake up feeling like you're being boiled alive! Didn't help that the outdoor temps were really high too.

yeah, it was unbearably hot sometimes. and once you've sorted yourself out into the half-in-half-out pose with the doors open, you're awake with no chance of going back to sleep!

on the plus side the night were REALLY mild. and having almost frozen to death at a festival in the past, i was glad.

4 hours sleep is enough. 5am-9am and then upski with the heatski no problemski!

And attach space blankets! Gave in and popped one on Mikey's tent on the Sunday am just to be able to get an extra hour asleep and it worked.

Didnt think this year was too bad though tbh compared to previous hot ones. Maybe it was just where we were camped though.

Like many others I really struggled with the heat this year. I wasn't particularly feeling that great all weekend and it certainly didn't help not being able to sleep much past 8 o'clock. Every day I found it really hard to get myself going and by late evening I was struggling to enjoy the late night entertainment. :angry: Thursday and Sunday were the only two nights I managed to stay up beyond 1am. I can't sleep during the day either when it's so bright (should really invest in an eye mask) and our tent this year was far too big to peg space blankets over it successfully. Didn't help that there was 7 or 8 of us sleeping in it mind you, all that body heat!

I had this problem. However, i got far better sleep for the 5 days that i was at Glastonbury than i have had in the 4 days since i have been back. My room is at the top of the house with the smallest window and is like an oven. Bring back sleeping in a tent.

I went to bed in hundreds of layers and then woke up every morning dying a very warm death and had to unzip my tent and throw myself out of it. On sunday however I was so knackered that I went back in my tent to get changed and fell asleep on top of my sleeping bag and woke up in a rather yucky sweat!

I went to bed in hundreds of layers and then woke up every morning dying a very warm death and had to unzip my tent and throw myself out of it. On sunday however I was so knackered that I went back in my tent to get changed and fell asleep on top of my sleeping bag and woke up in a rather yucky sweat!