Stage Distances

Guest dvb

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What aproximately are the distances and or time it takes to get from stage to stage.

For example,how far is the other stage away from the park stage?.

im considering missing a few bands to get down to the various special guests down to the park area and the queens head stage.Im not planning running around like a crazy man from stage to stage to catch every band i wana see!!.ha.

Hoping these special guests are actually widely thought of as special and worth my while missing bands i otherwise would see. The Libertines and Radiohead would have me travel and wait in suspense for them.

My main worry is seeing saturdays special guest at park stage and missing kasabian and crosby still and nash!.,although ive seen kasabian twice,but not yet any of their new stuff live or seen them at a festival yet.

Some others im not fussed about missing such as maccabees,white lies, the view as ive seen them/ will get to see them elsewhere.

Thanks!!.

Cheers for all the info people!.

ile try calculate my power walking time by my drunkeness,crap sense of direction and small amount of sun/massive amount of mud.

I think ile keep my eyes on here and on mobile phone internet to try find out whos the special guests at the park are, even if i dont find out i think ile still wonder down there early and hunker down in anticipation for bit of libertines,or klaxons,or billy bragg. Bands ile miss arent that essentail for me to see,except for maybe kasabian who ive seen twice already.

Think ile pretty much start day at park area ,watch special guest slots regardless,hopefully be happy with who they are.

then rush off to last 2 on pyramid stage each day,aslong as i get to see bit of the specials,neil young,easy star all stars, sprinsteen ,madness, blur and the quo along side much wanted for libs gig,lol, then ile be happy chappy. Im thinking quality of bands and performance,not quantity of bands.

Maybe ile just invent a time machine to go back and forth in time and see bands from every stage and all the headliners!.haha.

Worst crowds I've encountered for sometime was after I saw MGMT at the Park last year & headed towards the Pyramid for JayZ. I made it down to the markets pretty quick but as you approached the Pyrmaid field there was a mass crush between people trying to get in & people leaving after Winehouse. Took about 15 mins to go about 30 metres, absolutely crazy! It was a little worrying at one stage but thankfully everyone was very calm, and let the surge take its course, no injuries as far as I could see.
Edited by Wooderson

2. A mass exodus due to lack of interest in the following act. (Jay Z had considerably less people)

I don't think that's true. I was around the Pyramid for both, and the crowd looked no smaller for Jay-Z I reckon.

As for those 'lack of interest' people, they certainly got things the wrong way around - the car crash known as Amy Crackhouse was followed by one of the very best Glasto moments in all of it's history; Jay-Z's entrance was just superb!

I don't think that's true. I was around the Pyramid for both, and the crowd looked no smaller for Jay-Z I reckon.

As for those 'lack of interest' people, they certainly got things the wrong way around - the car crash known as Amy Crackhouse was followed by one of the very best Glasto moments in all of it's history; Jay-Z's entrance was just superb!

Edited by Wooderson

The crowd leaving AW was vast Neil. Never seen anything like it.

ohhh, that was nothing, really nowt at all. If you'd experienced the gate crushes back in the mid/late eighties you'd know that - you'd go thru the gates lifted into the air by the crushes back then. They were great fun if a little scarey, and never really that dangerous.

While the numbers leaving Amy were big, so were the numbers coming in, tho of course they don't all arrive at once in the same way as everyone leaves once if they're leaving when an act finishes.

As regards Jayz's entrance - I turned to the missus and said "This is historic!", pity it never lived up to the first 15 mins.

yeah, that was my feeling too. But the entrance made being there more than worthwhile. :D

Don't assume that everyone leaving after Amy wasn't coming back for JayZ. We were just nipping out for beer and a wee and were straight back! (and I wasn't let down after the 1st 15 mins but thats a whole differnt debate thats been had a million times before!)

Also - please don't ever assume crushes aren't that dangerous - football fans all thought crushes were a bit of laugh on the terraces until Hillsborough!

I've noticed at Glastonbury that if someone raises their hand at a pinch point and shouts "STOP" when it starts to get horribly tight, people actually do stop, and wait for it to settle before trying to move again. It's important that people understand that it's critical that they do this - this kind of co-operation keeps it safe, it isn't intrinsically so.

I think what made that cruch so bad was that many people were coming in for jay z as well as leaving as the desicion had split the whole festival. I was coming in from the top of tops webbs ash and the crush there was pretty bad there was one woman crying but there were people going in both directions which made it a lot more chaotic!

Perhaps someone could make one of these for the Glasto site:

disttable.jpg

I would quite happily create it but being at work I have no means to get the file uploaded anywhere.

We'd only need the main areas I think, ie.

Pyramid

Other

Jazz World

JP

The Park

Dance Village

Acoustic

Glade

Caberet/Circus

Trash City/Shangri La

Greenfields

Stone Circle

Avalon

Perhaps on one side of the table would be "without traffic" and the other "when crowded/drunk etc"

Who wants to have a go?

I seem to remember the park being furthest away from all the other stages.

IIRC it's about a 45 minute walk, but I only did it once last year, and I was probably very drunk!

It was certainly far enough for me not to make the effort to go down there unless it was someone I really wanted to see, but this year I want to spend more time down there because it is a cool area.

I've noticed at Glastonbury that if someone raises their hand at a pinch point and shouts "STOP" when it starts to get horribly tight, people actually do stop, and wait for it to settle before trying to move again. It's important that people understand that it's critical that they do this - this kind of co-operation keeps it safe, it isn't intrinsically so.

The crush after Winehouse last year was the worst Ive experienced at GF in the years ive been going. I was heading towards the Pyramid after Buddy Guy and was met with what was basically a stadium sized crowd getting the hell outta there.

It was the perfect storm for an accident to happen and I was relieved when nothing did:

1. One of the biggest crowds ever at GF. (Winehouse had 75K at her show)

2. A mass exodus due to apparent lack of interest in the following act. (Jay Z had considerably less people)

It tested the infrastructure of the fest to its limits and there were no issues. A good thing.

:rolleyes:

Following torrential rain for 4 hours, a crowd that numbered probably near the 6 figure mark, one member of the Beatles having just finished a rather epic set on the Pyramid...oh and little old me had consumed a lot of Margaritas...it took over TWO HOURS to walk to Park Home. Took the regular route through Silver Hays, past the Second Stage. At times I considered just lifting my feet up and get carried along by sheer slow momentum in the crowds. Was furkin ridiculous!

The trick is to know 'short cuts' or just avoid anything at the main stages if you dont want to get involved in ridiculous crushes. Short cuts often end in discovering some very fun things you were not expecting.

The longest walk/wait that was forced upon us last year was the very long sheep like funnelling of us along the railway track to get to Shangri La on the Friday.

But cutting through the market/through the back of the Jazz Field, into the Circus field to get to Avalon to get to the side entrance to Trash City comes very highly recommended.

Edited by LusciousLucy

3 in fact! Here is part of 2............To be fair to them

the amy winehouse/jay-z crowd congestion is something we are well aware of. there are a variety of reasons why there was a problem, but you can rest assured that it will be addressed in the debrief and review.

The management team at Glastonbury Festival is committed to producing a great festival and take health and safety issues very seriously. We have been aware of crowd movement issues in the past and for the last couple of years have employed an organisation who specialize in monitoring crowding at large events with a view to ensuring the safety of the ticket holders, staff and performers. With input from this organization we do have contingency plans that are put into place when an area looks like it is getting overcrowded, however, in this instance it appears that there was not enough staff to try and control the flow of the crowd. I will discuss your email with this organisation and ask them to consider your comments when planning for next year’s festival, I will also make the site manager and other key personnel aware of your comments.

Fair play to them I say..........they could of allowed it to go straight to trash but they really do seem to take on peoples experiences in helping them organise the fest.........One would not expect anything different really!

Here's an idea:

On wednesday/thursday when you are taking a tour of the site (which I'm sure a lot of you do), get your phone out and time yourself walking from stage to stage. Then just double the time to make absolutely sure (in case of slow moving crowds), and that shud give u a good idea of which acts you can get to in time.