Ufc

just/john

Lol. 

There's two ways you can look at this.

1) McGregor just got beat by a bigger guy, he went up two weight classes and should go back down.

or

2) McGregor is overrated who hits hard but hasn't got much else. Nate Diaz is a above average journeyman lightweight in reality and he beat the shit out of McGregor in that second round. 

McGregor now surely has to go back and defend his 145 title against Edgar. And personally I think Edgar ground fucks him for five rounds. 

Diaz is a natural lightweight as well though, Diaz was the better fighter tonight. 

Tate surprised me as I thought Holm was going to grind it out for a decision.She controlled the 2nd round but didn't think she would be able to get the fight back down on the ground, great moment. Turns out Rousey wasn't even watching, she was at PWG wrestling show instead.

Got to agree, it's gotta be McGregor vs Edgar next at UFC 200 along with Lawler vs Condit or GSP (pure speculation)

2 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

Lol. 

There's two ways you can look at this.

1) McGregor just got beat by a bigger guy, he went up two weight classes and should go back down.

or

2) McGregor is overrated who hits hard but hasn't got much else. Nate Diaz is a above average journeyman lightweight in reality and he beat the shit out of McGregor in that second round. 

McGregor now surely has to go back and defend his 145 title against Edgar. And personally I think Edgar ground fucks him for five rounds. 

I think its a bit of 1 and 2. McGregor hasnt really been tested. You could argue he was lucky against Mendes (I think Mendes with a full camp puts him away on the deck) and obviously Aldo. Who I think deserves a rematch. And who I think would win. 

He couldnt hit Diaz. Threw a lot of punches but didnt land a whole lot (38%). Was knackered and taking shots and went for a tired takedown. Against a black belt in jiu jitsu. Desperation. 

Judging by this fight, hes lucky as Dos Anjos wouldve completely torn him apart.

that was absolutely fantastic. I was screaming at the telly - "go on nate!", found it hilarious that conor claimed to he "humble in victory, humble in defeat". he doesnt know the meaning of the word.

I bet Dana, Lorenzo and Frank are breathing a huge sigh of relief right now.

I disagree, I thought holm v Tate was pretty dull on the whole. Not much thrown or landed, nobody got rocked, and holly had nothing on the ground for Tate.

i was pleased for Tate.

gonna be RRR V Tate and frankie v Conor at 200 by the looks of it I reckon.

I enjoyed the top 2 fights, wanted Holm and Conor to win and I think Holly was winning the fight up until the 5th. I think Ronda wants to come bac to fight Meisha because she knows she can beat her. If Holly won, I think Ronda would be more hesitant. Id prefer to see a Holly vs Meisha rematch around august, and Ronda come back to fight the winner near the end of the year.

The UFC matchmakers could do Conor vs Edgar/Aldo and Diaz vs Dos Anjos rematch close together (depending on RDA's recovery), if Conor wins he could rematch with Nate or fight RDA like it was meant to be, depending on who wins that. Conor will be 155lb champion one day I think.

Edited by daniel.k

Aldo is calling McGregor out on Twitter. I think now McGregor has lost a Aldo rematch loses it's appeal doesn't it? He's lost now it doesn't matter, I'd rather see McGregor Edgar, step up a weight if he wins and fight there then I'd maybe like to see Aldo McGregor 2.

Amazing scenes last night, I was literally screaming. 

Edgar should get the fight @ 200 but I think Aldo gets it cause it'll bring in more bucks. 

Im just happy the guy has lost, he really needed it. Been seeing him getting way too much praise as well, he's somehow come out of this still the hero.

I seriously doubt Aldo gets the shot, he's unreliable, and I doubt they will want to sink a huge marketing budget into a guy with his record for fucking up - especially for UFC200 plus Dana said they will likely do the fight the fans want to see, which suggests Frankie, maybe with Aldo ready to step in if something goes tits up. Frankie deserves a title shot, and has been denied it for a while, his last crack was over 3 years ago.

One would think if Mr McGregor wants to continue to drive a juggernaught about the UFC then the next fight is must win. If he loses that and his belt then his influence vanishes (Im assuming here that the next fight will be UFC 200 against Frankie)

But to be fair to the fella, he really has done a shit load for the the interest in the sport

The way people go on about McGregor and what he's done for the sport makes me laugh. Anyone would think that two years ago UFC was fighting out of a bingo hall in south Philadelphia and Brock Lesnar, Chuck Liddell, Ronda Rousey, GSP etc never existed. 

You know... maybe in Ireland and the UK... but he's had every single promotional advantage put his way. He's had big undercards (in fact haven't his last three fights all been subbed by a title fight?), massive promotional push. Yeah, he's a big draw and the Irish love him and that's all well and good, but the reality is he's not nearly raised as much interest in the sport as Ronda has, and it's not like UFC was an unknown entity struggling the pay the bills now, is it? 

I think its fairly undeniable that he has turned a lot of heads in the "normal" sporting fans demographic. I have spoken to so many people who have never watched UFC, who know who he is. That is partly as you say because he has been promoted heavily, but partly because he is eloquent and marketable.

My issue, is that he has done it by being a disrespectful arsehole, bragging like a gangsta rapper at every given opportunity. Thankfully, he won't be able to pull that off any more. And hopefully his "nuthuggers" can back off a bit now too. He really was exposed in his ground game - as he was by Mendez too - its just a shame Chad didnt stop the hype train before it got too far down the tracks.

There are loads of people on the sherdog forums who know fuck all about the sport, and approach it with a boxing fan mentality. I've seen people saying that he will hold off until his BJJ improves! As if you can even improve it within a year? he is years of training behind most top flight fighters on the ground, and thats just in BJJ, without even taking wrestling into account.

When he first showed up in the UFC, I was in his corner 100%, and then he became this monster. Thats when I tapped out.

I think most people in the UFC and most intelligent fans know that the McGregor show is just that, a show, and its driven by a character. Love or hate him you are interested in him.

He has made UFC smack talk a force that drives the entertainment value of the business and that equates to a lot more PPV numbers and marketing opportunities.

Anyone who thinks that the asshole you see talking shite is real needs their head examined. 

Most of the fighters (if not all) I reckon know this and now they all shout loudly back in his direction and they all want to be next for the big purse fight. This cash cow has a limited life span, especially now that he is beginning to lose and thats why we see the likes of Aldo and Dos Anjos bringing the smack back. They want their shot at him and that big cheque before he is gone.

Its supposed to look disrespectful, but its just a money generating ploy. I honestly believe that the real Conor McGregor very much respects any mad git that steps inside that octagon.