Ufc

just/john

5 hours ago, Uncle Liam said:

but the reality is he's not nearly raised as much interest in the sport as Ronda has

I disagree with that and so would the numbers. Not denying that Ronda is great.

But yeah, the reactions in Ireland (and elsewhere) have been hilarious from both sides. Sports journos who still think UFC is like it was in UFC 1 having a go at him and using it to slag off the sport and a lot of people who've clearly never watched any fighting sports thinking its some great tragedy. Its only a fight.

2 hours ago, t8yman said:

My issue, is that he has done it by being a disrespectful arsehole, bragging like a gangsta rapper at every given opportunity.

Thats just promotion. And hes great at it. The hype and interest he creates out weighs his ability by some distance. Hes only beaten one really good fighter, with a "lucky" punch you could argue.  

No such thing as bad press in the fight game. Hence you don't like him but are still talking about him!

2 hours ago, t8yman said:

Thankfully, he won't be able to pull that off any more. 

I doubt that. He'd only just got out of the shower the other night and was already talking trash about Aldo. And RDA. Actually can't think of a trash talking fighter who stopped talking shit after they'd lost. Shamrock, Mir, Nick Diaz, Ortiz, Tyson, Eubank. To name a few. Go as far back as Jack Johnson! 

Throw a potential few million down in front of a fighter and they'll do whatever they can to earn it. He'll be back, talking shit again for his next fight.

But yeah, he needs to improve his ground game. He is a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu though! Apparently. 

Edited by The Nal

You are right on a lot of that, when I said "he wont be able to do that any more", I was mainly referring to the "gods recognise gods" stuff, and "I am the promotion" and using "we" when referring to the UFC in general. 

I know he will still try and get inside peoples heads, the nice thing now is that they will have something to comeback at him.

and he no longer has Dana over a barrell.

2 minutes ago, t8yman said:

You are right on a lot of that, when I said "he wont be able to do that any more", I was mainly referring to the "gods recognise gods" stuff, and "I am the promotion" and using "we" when referring to the UFC in general. 

I know he will still try and get inside peoples heads, the nice thing now is that they will have something to comeback at him.

Oh sure you're right yeah. His next fight is massive. But a few of Danas golden geese have huge fights coming up. Ronda, McGregor and Aldo. And Jon Jones obviously. 

5 hours ago, t8yman said:

Oooh you're in for a treat. He great. Very entertaining. 

Edited

Edited by The Nal

I reckon it could come under the banner of "linking to pirated, copyrighted material"

not having a go, just erring on the side of caution. the youtube "free fight" is ok, because it is put in the public domain by the copyright holder, and will be removed after UFC197, the other will not.

3 hours ago, t8yman said:

I reckon it could come under the banner of "linking to pirated, copyrighted material"

not having a go, just erring on the side of caution. the youtube "free fight" is ok, because it is put in the public domain by the copyright holder, and will be removed after UFC197, the other will not.

aha getcha

• 2 weeks later...

imho, he should either defend the belt against the next righful challenger (aldo or frankie) or give it up.

it just stinks of being a vanity (revenge) fight for McG, and an ill advised one at that. what makes him think its going to end any differently? diaz can take a punch, and mcg is a mess on the floor, and as I have said before, working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week up till fight day, mcg wont be able to match diaz down there. BJJ of the standard of both diaz brothers doesnt just appear in a few months. 

also, at the risk of sounding elitist - it is a fight that can only appeal to the casual fan. I know we will all watch it, but the build up is going to be unbearable from a cringe POV.

Edited by t8yman