Tips for securing a space blanket to the outside of a tent

Guest titch juicy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried gaffer tape last year, and in the heat it didn't stick. Although I only broke out the space blankets when the sun started beating down. So maybe if you gaffer tape it up before your tent gets hot?

I'm taking pegs and clips this year.

Used gaffa / duct tape before and held it on a treat. Might back it up with some pegs though - always a chance of some wind at glasto!

But also loop over some bits of duct tape and place at various points between the tent and the solar blanket - will hold it don't and stop it 'puffing' up so much. But will still rustle.

But i'd rather rustle and be cool that not.

Also, you can use the looped over duct tape method to put the blanket up inside your tent too. It works just as well - and rustles a little less.

Just seen this thread, never thought of this , but what a good idea!

One idea i've had to secure onto the tent is...

Gaffa tape all 4 edges of the blanket( both sides )

Punch holes through to make eyelets.. the tape will be strong enough for you to then put string through so you can then tie the blanket to wherever on the tent, or even guy it down.

Make sense ?

J

Punch holes through to make eyelets.. the tape will be strong enough for you to then put string through so you can then tie the blanket to wherever on the tent, or even guy it down.

Make sense ?

J

• 10 months later...

Tried that...didnt work. And tbh...the noise from every stage around you, every flag flapping in the wind, tents generally making tenty flapping noises, guitars and radios at the campsites, the shouts of 'I'm Spartacus', general chitchat around the campfire will all totally drown out the sound of an ickle bit of rustling from a couple of harmless space blankets trying to keep tent occupants cool/warm! :P If that annoys you then how is 5 days surrounded by the other noises of Glasto going to affect you? :blink:A nearby neighbour snoring ridiculously loudly is far more annoying!

Make sense ?

J

I tried (and failed)with the thin foil space blanket thing last year- rustling did my haed in and I also put it on once tent was too hot so didn't have much effect.

Thinking of going for this one this year as bit thicker and has eyelets

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170632936646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last year at the pound shops near us you could get 4 space blankets for a quid or a space shelter for the same price. I thought to hell with the extravagance and bought both. Turns out the space shelter is a 3 sided trianglar tent of sorts. Anyways cutting this up and opening it out fit over the entire tent. I just put gaffa tape on the corners for strength and shoved a tent peg through the gaffa tape directly into the ground. So yeah try a space shelter/emergency shelter/silver triangle thingy.

I gave the blankets away to my camp buddies.

found it poundland shelter

Just a thought, would it still be effective if you were to attach the foil blanket to the inner skin of the tent and then put the outer skin over the top ? it would certainly cut down the crisp packet rustling noise and keep your neighbours from giving you evil looks in the morning !

Just a thought, would it still be effective if you were to attach the foil blanket to the inner skin of the tent and then put the outer skin over the top ? it would certainly cut down the crisp packet rustling noise and keep your neighbours from giving you evil looks in the morning !

not sure about other poundlands, but ours now only sells the emergency shelter as green plastic sheet, could only find the reflective one on ebay.

still showing the foil ones on their site though:

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-emergency-shelter/

and the blankets:

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-twin-pack-emergency-blankets/

for the tent cover, we've criss-crossed it in a net style with packing tape and then edged it with gaffa tape, makes it a lot sturdier/stronger, but heavier as well so doesn't rustle so much. securing at the bottom of the tent with bulldog clips (where it's gaffataped) and then using clothes pegs at a few other spots to secure and stop it 'ballooning'. the difference it made last year was immense, had to have been a good 6 or 7 degrees in the sleeping area than ib the porch, which wasn't covered.

I used the blankets inside coolboxes/plastic boxes: lined them and then put a few bottles of frozen water at the bottom, put what we needed in and then covered over- we still had frozen water and fresh oj on the Saturday. used one of those plastic bendy buckets filled with water and a few frozen bottles of water to keep the beers cold, covered that with one of the blankets and always had ice cold beers. these sheets are worth their weight in gold!!

How about mylar sheeting? Slightly more pricey, but plastic backed so not rustly, much stronger than space blankets (which are just very thin mylar) and likely to be better suited to being pegged/taped in place. Your neighbours would prefer it!

For the really adventurous (and rich, I might add) you might want to try diamond mylar, it's sold by the meter off the roll and is really easy to cut and shape to fit surfaces. Please be aware, however, that buying large quantities may convince the authorities that you are growing copious amounts of ganja.

Shiny!

If you could make a tent cosy out of that you'd be the envy of the festival :D

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyway to permanently attach it to a fold up tent? I really don't see how but someone else is putting up my tent for me and I don't want to burden them further with having to attach it for me and I won't be there till 4ish on the Wednesday and by the sound of things you need to attach it before it gets hot. Thoughts?

Putting the foil layer between the tent inner and the flysheet is an excellent idea. If you've ever seen a house being built, you'll see they stick layers of reflective insulating board under the roof, sandwiched between other non-reflective plasterboards. In arctic clothing, you often find a layer of foil sandwiched between other layers. A reflective layer will still reflect heat no matter what it's got covering it over. The only problem will be that your fly-sheet, which is exposed to the sunlight, will heat up, but that will be an incredibly tiny source of heat as it's just a flimsy layer of material.