Private Campsite.

Guest Rufus Gwertigan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sponsored campsites don't really make that much difference. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

The only time corporate sponsorship affects a festival is when areas are carved up and sold off to different companies. That's what leads to the greatest festival killer - a lack of freedom of movement.

If you've been to the others you will know, 'can't bring that in here mate' or 'you can't take that out of hear', 'can I look in your bag' every time you want to see something else or move on.

I have no probs with the chill'n'charge (mobiles being a sad fact of life/life saver) or the Guardian Lounge for that matter. It's a good paper and a nice tent with some great acts on. It's like watching the Chart show on a Saturday morning with a nice coffee and a good read. Except instead of watching your TV your watching a live band in your living room. And your living room has turned into some beautifully ornate and shimmering tent. Or did I just imagine that part?

Carefully chosen and sited concessions and sponsors can only help strengthen the festival. They increase revenue which can be spent on acts and the festivals laudable commitment and contribution to several worthwhile charities.

In other words, you turn up, enjoy the festival in your own way and whether directly or indirectly someone in need will benefit from your actions and your still free to choose.

No bad thing.

Im a little lost to what the problem is exactly?

what difference does it make to how someone chooses to stay at Glasto?

There is various choices anyway, camper van bring your own , or caravan already there... tent .. tipi.. bring a posh tent , rubbish tent, sleep under the stars

or mabey your with one of the acts and have a luxury trailer van

what does it matter to you ? I don't see how it affects anyone else or dictates how gooder or bad time you will have because your in posh tent or in a puddle.

If you want to pay out for a few perks like extr security, pre pitched tent and easy entrance in then so what, dont blame you ..... if you dont have the money to be able to choose this , tough tits, get a better job or save up for up........ and if you would not want to stay in this more expensive area in there tents then why do you care what someone else might prefer?

I cant see how this field is that far off staying in a campervan... I will be this year, Im sure Im not going to be ruined by it or ruin any one elses time because of me having a shower option this time ?!! , preivious years Ive tented with the rest, and Ive also tented in performers field (tenting with perks),and other times found my way in ... over / under. I cant say my experience was ruined or marred by any of the more comfortable times. Infact Im thinking how fantastic its going to be this time not having to sleep on a accidently deflated lilo , wet sleeping bag and piss in a bucket in the night. Ive done all that plenty of times, now Im doing a bit more comfort, so I think its a great extra option for people.

anyway It opens it up for a few people who may have been put off going before because of some sort of medical problem like a back injury or illness etc. weird hands, or even people who own sports cars like stuart bert two hats :)

Edited by barbienightmare

Having an 'elite' campsite could may make the 'normal' punters worry that they are missing out on something. However, the reality is this: when you get to Glasto, you wander round, meet people, and feel part of a big inclusive event. It's at that point that people realise that their camp Kerala or "private campsite" ticket was a waste of money - people are people regardless of how much money they've got: you could be kept awake all night by a snorer in any campsite, no matter how much you paid for it. The more people there are, the greater the chance of you bumping into someone who you're going to click with. In other words, the less exclusive your ticket, the more likely you are to have a brilliant time.

Over the past 4 years, I've done a lot of work in the VIP bars at Glastonbury, Reading et al., and I've discovered this: come the all-important early hours of the morning, the 'exclusive' bits of the festival are dead, and the place to be is among the great unwashed in the public campsites. The idea that the exclusive 'VIP wristbands only' areas are exciting is a complete fallacy. VIPs are boring - they're just businessmen, surrounded by greasy hangers-on. The VIP areas are about as exciting as wandering around the financial areas of the city of London at the weekend when all the offices are closed. The only thing that makes these areas seem exciting is that you're not allowed in. However, as soon as you've been let in, you realise it's just a particularly dull part of the site, and that the real excitement is being had elsewhere.

So if you want to spend a fortune on an exclusive campsite, good luck to you, and I hope your money helps keep Glastonbury going. But don't be fooled: you can't buy a festival experience.

Mark's summed it up very well. The VIP enclosures and 'elite' areas are generally dull - rather like the lives of the people that inhabit them.

It's actually not much fun being a celeb. You cease to be an 'ordinary' person and, often for security reasons, are unable to enjoy the spontaneous things that 'ordinary' people are able to do.

Read the 'It's not about the music so what is it about' thread /index.php?showtopic=117985&hl=grumpyhack">http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/index.p...p;hl=grumpyhack and the things that people find special about Glasto and ask yourself how many members of the headling acts would be able to still do the things that us 'ordinary' punters find so special about Glasto.

Money may buy comfort and a luxious lifestyle but there's a cost in many other ways.

To take an extreme example, think of the last years of the life of Elvis Presley. He was confined to a surreal world, shut away from contact with everyday people and life and died sad and lonely paying the price of fame.

Edited by grumpyhack

Im a little lost to what the problem is exactly?

what difference does it make to how someone chooses to stay at Glasto?

There is various choices anyway, camper van bring your own , or caravan already there... tent .. tipi.. bring a posh tent , rubbish tent, sleep under the stars

or mabey your with one of the acts and have a luxury trailer van

what does it matter to you ? I don't see how it affects anyone else or dictates how gooder or bad time you will have because your in posh tent or in a puddle.

If you want to pay out for a few perks like extr security, pre pitched tent and easy entrance in then so what, dont blame you ..... if you dont have the money to be able to choose this , tough tits, get a better job or save up for up........ and if you would not want to stay in this more expensive area in there tents then why do you care what someone else might prefer?

I cant see how this field is that far off staying in a campervan... I will be this year, Im sure Im not going to be ruined by it or ruin any one elses time because of me having a shower option this time ?!! , preivious years Ive tented with the rest, and Ive also tented in performers field (tenting with perks),and other times found my way in ... over / under. I cant say my experience was ruined or marred by any of the more comfortable times. Infact Im thinking how fantastic its going to be this time not having to sleep on a accidently deflated lilo , wet sleeping bag and piss in a bucket in the night. Ive done all that plenty of times, now Im doing a bit more comfort, so I think its a great extra option for people.

anyway It opens it up for a few people who may have been put off going before because of some sort of medical problem like a back injury or illness etc. weird hands, or even people who own sports cars like stuart bert two hats :)

same reason I don't like corporate hospitality at football, VIP sections in clubs, all the rest of it, it's just plain wrong. We're in this together all the way. Bringing a caravan/camper to Glastonbury is cool and totally different from camping in your own special section cos you don't want to mix with the riff-raff and having special security to keep the proles out.

Don't see what the issue is. Every event has an elitist component whether it be rider, backstage whatever, staying at the farmhouse etc etc.

Each to their own surely? Afterall, there's enough talk on here about 'freedom'.

IF i had a property in Pilton I too would be offering something a little more for a little more.

Lots of events have elitist compnents and I don't like them either, as I said, i despise the rise of corporate hospitality at football and that.

The idea that just because you have money you can avoid queues and not mix with the great unwashed etc is not something that sits very well with me in any setting, not just Glastonbury. It seems to go against pretty much everything I believe in.

People standing in second class compartments for long journeys while the first class ones are empty ain't really the way I want society to work.

If people are daft enough to pay the money thats their business. There have always been alternative ways to stay at Glasto tipi village, pod pads, trailer park and that god damn awful camp Korela (if thats what its called £5000 for the festival VIP area. This camp site is no different, I think its a way of Evis keeping the neighbors sweet so they can make a bit of money off the back of the festival.

gotta say i agree with all the above, not needed at all, the normal campsites are where it's at

my friend went in the VIP bit at reading for a bit or whatever it is, said it was dull as

and what's this about a monorail at glasto?! I didn't see any mr when i was there in 07

same reason I don't like corporate hospitality at football, VIP sections in clubs, all the rest of it, it's just plain wrong. We're in this together all the way. Bringing a caravan/camper to Glastonbury is cool and totally different from camping in your own special section cos you don't want to mix with the riff-raff and having special security to keep the proles out.

As it's outside the festival away from everyone surely the atmospere is weakened, so if someone wants to camp in that campsite it's their loss not ours :), so my thought of the day is:

If you camp outside the festival in another campsite you will lose the atmospere and lose what the festival is all about, for a better time camp with us lot *inside the festival*, we rock :)

Whilst Id be more in agreement than disagreement, are we actually all 'in this together'? I think efests gives an uncommon view of what the 'festival experience' is for most people. We might be open minded, up for meeting and camping with people we dont know, spending lots of time with people we've never met - but is everybody at the festival? I think the vast majority come with a group of mates and pretty much stick with that group of mates. Yeah, there might be a chat here or a pint there with people you dont know, but, in the main, Im not sure its this 'all in it together' festival love-in we like to construct in our mind's eye.

What you've also got to remember is that even ON-SITE at festivals there are exclusive campsites. They're not even marked on the maps half the time. Mostly they're for performers and staff - but these days money gets you anywhere. I've encountered hundreds of people saying they'd simply bought their way into the exclusive sites.

Nothing new, its money for the festival so they bite people's hands off for it!

What you've also got to remember is that even ON-SITE at festivals there are exclusive campsites. They're not even marked on the maps half the time. Mostly they're for performers and staff - but these days money gets you anywhere. I've encountered hundreds of people saying they'd simply bought their way into the exclusive sites.

Nothing new, its money for the festival so they bite people's hands off for it!

the tipi 'field' has become rather exclusive too

dunno what to think really. These people must have paid something for the 'special facilities' and if it means helping the festival with some of it's costs, then I s'pose it's ok. It's stupidly expensive for what you get though, those prices are per person, so for ten people in the Montana, it'll be £8,450!!!!.. in a tent... without any extras (that's your ticket not included either)!!!..

there's a couple of other options like this too now, isn't there?

In an ideal world, it wouldn't be happenin'....

If people want to do it, then so be it.

But it doesnt seem like fun for me, more than likely being stuck in a field full of upper class mincers moaning about the noise levels when you get back at 4am.

And I do think the prices are ridiculous when coupled with the £180 you have to pay for your festival ticket.

Regardless of the prices, Give me Pennards any day........

Edited by kaisherz