Private Campsite.

Guest Rufus Gwertigan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a good look at the site and it really isn't in Camp Kerala's league, you're looking at around £100 per person when you add on the VAT. For some people, that's a lot, and for others, it obviously isn't... think of the huge quantities of really good kit that folks leave behind nowadays, last year proved that it isn't just because of the bad weather B). You could argue that if you're going to buy a brand new tent and leave it every year, you might as well rent one.

I can see a facility like that being handy for people with health or mobility problems, as far as I can see the car park is close to the campsite so no lugging your gear across the site. It's probably quieter at night, and again that could be handy for some.

I wouldn't stay in it personally, but it could have its place.

if it came with a ticket and it was sold out i'd happily pay £300 for my ticket and pitch and then camp up in pennards but as an added extra, no chance.

Ok I'll admit it I looked at this camping but here's my defense

- I've been to V for the last 14 years and hear the horror stories about slashed tents (yes have friends only 5 mins from V so never camped;-(

- First Glasto so a little nervous about camping - losing stuff/stuff getting thieved

- coming from the Channel islands so one less thing to lug (eg tent and airbed etc)

- the sound of 'showers which should not have a 10 mile Q sounds lovely'

But having read this thread I don't want to miss out on the atmosphere that everyone talks about so shall lug my tent across the channel !

I hadn't seen it as elitest any more than booking premium economy on a long haul flight to get the films on demand and the free alcohol !

next people will be wanting everyone to have the exact same tent, sacrilege to the "your not doing it the glastonbury way" just because you choose to have a tent you can stand up in.

if people want to stay in these places for piece of mind or whatever reason, fair play to them. Too many people think if you've got one set of clothes and a tent your feet stick out of then your a true Glastafarian.

If I could afford it I would be in Kerala, who in their right mind wouldn't. double bed, mattress, carpets, showers , restaurant, champers, fridges.. ....and most of all hassle free...

- I've been to V for the last 14 years and hear the horror stories about slashed tents (yes have friends only 5 mins from V so never camped;-(

- First Glasto so a little nervous about camping - losing stuff/stuff getting thieved

- coming from the Channel islands so one less thing to lug (eg tent and airbed etc)

But having read this thread I don't want to miss out on the atmosphere that everyone talks about so shall lug my tent across the channel !

I hadn't seen it as elitest any more than booking premium economy on a long haul flight to get the films on demand and the free alcohol !

Edited by oafc0000

I can't really see the problem.

I think the main benefits of the camp site is not the security but the fact that you only have to carry your stuff a short distance and I am assuming getting in and out of the festival will be far easier. For me those two things are the biggest arse ache of the whole weekend. However, they do occur at the start and end of your festival and in a strange way are an essential part of it.

Also I have mate who will not come because you can't have a shower that easily. Some may consider it if they had easy access to good showers which would be a bonus.

However, it's not for me.

This thread is killing me!!! Jees!!

I am staying on this site, along with 24 of my mates and it is costing us £116 each for our tent, sleeping bags and air beds(as well as the use of showers etc which will most likely not be used by any of us!) And on site parking.

We are not rich, certainly not middle class and are hardened festival goers. Normally we camp along with everyone else, we have done so at witness/oxegen for the past 8 yrs, also at electric picnic for the last 4 years, Benicassim(Spain) and Rock AM(Germany) in the past.

The only reason that we are staying here is that we are travelling from Ireland and unfortunately for various reasons we won't arrive until the Friday noon at the earliest and want to be able to dump our gear and get straight onto the festival site and explore its many wonders!!

We are hiring a van between us at Bristol airport @ £5.50 each for the weekend so when we arrive, everyone can put their rucksacks in it and get on the national express coach to the festival.

As you can imagine, as there are 25 of us all wanting around 40 cans each for the weekend minimum, making over 1000 beers, we will fill the van and meet at that campsite, which has its own carpark and for us that will be a double blessing.

We wont have to carry our tents and sleeping bags over on the plane, we wont have to lug our tents, sleeping bags, rucksacks and booze from the coach and we wont have to worry about how we are going to find space to get camped together on the friday afternoon, just enjoying the festival.

You are trying to make it sound as though tho the only craic to be had at the festival is at the campsite and we are going to miss it all!! I can assure that we will spend very very little time sleeping or at the tents for that matter, it is purely a basecamp to return to to refuel for literally a few hours each day!!

We were intending to stay in the Tipi's so we would be on site and have gauranteed space together but they were too pricey, around £135 per person for the tipi without sleeping bags etc and looking at the 2009 map they are literally 100M away from this campsite max, plus we would have to park in the regular car park and carry our gear to them!

Also, the added benefit for us that have to catch flights is that we can just get up and drive and won't need to worry about queing to get out of the car park!

All this malarky about the exclusive gate and how dare they use this terminology, the gate is hardly going to be anything but exclusive to those staying in the campsite, it has to be 'exclusive' to satisfy the council etc otherwise it would just be another entry gate to the festival.

Anyway, i'm rambling and repeating myself here, the fact of the matter is that this will be very useful to many others i'm sure of it, it is most definately not only for the upper/middle classes and with our rabble in there it certainly wont be!!!

I'll sit back and wait for the hardline ranters.......

:D I quite like this idea,nice not to have to lug your tents up,and i also like the private entrance, i would do it but the cost involved is stopping me at the moment....I can see why lots are against it though,and i doubt it will be a money spinner and proberbly will not be back next year. So for me its back to my own tent.... :D

This thread is killing me!!! Jees!!

I am staying on this site, along with 24 of my mates and it is costing us £116 each for our tent, sleeping bags and air beds(as well as the use of showers etc which will most likely not be used by any of us!) And on site parking.

We are not rich, certainly not middle class ...............................................

.........................definately not only for the upper/middle classes and with our rabble in there it certainly wont be!!!

I'll sit back and wait for the hardline ranters.......

That seems a perfectly good reason to stay in there to me,must admit, that uve also sold it to me.......... :D

Im not flying or anything but still hate the hassle of lugging everything around.The tent worries are eradicated (finding nice spot, putting up, leaving unnatended etc) Also, the showers on site would make a nice change from a cold bucket of water and wetwipes....... Just wish i could afford it. :)

As for ur ''rabble'', get in there and lowerthat tone! :D We will be rooting for u! :):)

I think it's a great idea, and not that expensive for people who are earning.

The ability to park on site, get a spacious pitch with good toilet and shower facilities, and not have to lug stuff for miles could be worth quite a lot.

Edited by doogie

well I am not a ranter. To me it makes total sense that you are choosing to use this site. Its going to make your life a hell of a lot easier. Personally I like my tent to be in the middle of things so its easy to pop back for more drinks and stuff. As you said you will hardly be there you will be onsite with the rest of us having the time of your life. I do not care where your tent is located.

There does seem to be a bit of an issue with paying extra money with some people. However how many people buy a tent and then just dump it because they cannot be bothered to take it down and lug it home. Would it not be better for these people to rent a tent. (I know that some are taken and given to charity but in the grand scheme of things most left are binned for various reasons)

I would be more likely to use this site then camp karela? but who is to say what I would think if I could actually afford CK. In fact I think it would be well funny to stay there and upset the apple cart because I would bet most of the people there would find our antics horrifying.

Money and how people choose to experience their festival is up to them. I like to get some sleep so I am fresh for the next day. Does that mean the people who stay up all night are better Glastonbury goers then me? Does it shite.

Glastonbury is something different to all of us, we all choose to experience it in different ways and want to do different things when we get there. Thats the whole bloody point of it. Thats why there is caravan field, family camping, normal camping, tent there already camping, tipis and CK.

Some people will do it on a tight budget and others will spend what they think will allow them to have the best time. I am thinking about buying a campervan just for the drive down, should I just be getting a bus?