Underworld......WOW

mrfunk

In other news, Caliban's Dream is still a wonderful track and has just brought back lovely memories of 2012 when I momentarily felt that this really was a lovely country with a great place in the world, not fucked up and totally fucked like it seems to be at the moment.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
added year

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, JC-Mo'Fucka said:

i have to admit i'm pretty clueless with underworld and went on a bit of a whim after hearing their new track in the campsite on the morning. absolutely smashed it. the atmosphere in the crowd was as good as any i've experienced at glasto, a real happy old rave.

Were you camped up near darble? I woke up to underworld being blasted out and it got me right in the mood! 

18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I really enjoyed their set at Glastonbury, but if the iPlayer coverage showed anything it was that not a lot of 'live' stuff was happening. Not if you compare to the Chems or Jon Hopkins to name two off the top of my head.

have you only just realised that's how it is for all bands of this type - chems, orbital, etc, etc, etc...? :lol:

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

have you only just realised that's how it is for all bands of this type - chems, orbital, etc, etc, etc...? :lol:

I reckon he's aware that they aren't playing guitars, etc on stage, though my limited understanding is that there is something of a sliding scale within these type of bands as to how much they are actually doing up on stage (it depends on something called 'Ableton' I believe). It's kind of beyond me TBH - though if you can expand on this it would be pretty illuminating.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

It's not. You only have to listen to a Chemical Brothers set to know that they are far more involved with the sound than Underworld as are. It sounds different. Didn't you read that Sound on Sound article on their live setup when this came up last year? And with Jon Hopkins on videos you can actually see a direct correlation between his fingers on the pads and what you hear, which also sounds nothing like the records.

I'm aware that they all use sequencers on stage, which allows them to do very little, but that's not to say that they are all as uninvolved in the final sound as Underworld seem to be.  Going back to Chems, they have shit loads of synths being triggered and tweaked live, and you really can tell if you're familiar with the records. As an electronic musician myself who never played live because of never being able to make it 'live' enough  I take your point, but I do know that it's possible to do far, far more than :press play'

I don't really know about Orbital, but my suspicion is that they're somewhere in the middle.

23 hours ago, wwinstanley said:

Were you camped up near darble? I woke up to underworld being blasted out and it got me right in the mood! 

mmm perhaps, right up the top of the hill in front of the pyramid.kidney mead maybe.

what a way to kick off a gig mind. it's been stuck in my head every day since, no lie. 

On 25 June 2016 at 6:38 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Pretty amazing, I agree. W Holts' soundsystem really has balls these days. And the light show!

Excellent stuff.

True. I was at Underworld. A friend of mine camps near John Peel. She had an early night and said she could hear 'Born slippy' from her tent!

Edited by Watergirl

34 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

True. I was at Underworld. A friend of mine camps near John Peel. She had an early night and said she could hear 'Born slippy' from her tent!

It's amazing what you can hear from your tent. I had an early night on the Saturday and from South Park 2 I heard Adele, New Order and M83!

On 14/07/2016 at 10:19 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not. You only have to listen to a Chemical Brothers set to know that they are far more involved with the sound than Underworld as are. It sounds different. Didn't you read that Sound on Sound article on their live setup when this came up last year? And with Jon Hopkins on videos you can actually see a direct correlation between his fingers on the pads and what you hear, which also sounds nothing like the records.

I'm aware that they all use sequencers on stage, which allows them to do very little, but that's not to say that they are all as uninvolved in the final sound as Underworld seem to be.  Going back to Chems, they have shit loads of synths being triggered and tweaked live, and you really can tell if you're familiar with the records. As an electronic musician myself who never played live because of never being able to make it 'live' enough  I take your point, but I do know that it's possible to do far, far more than :press play'

I don't really know about Orbital, but my suspicion is that they're somewhere in the middle.

• 2 months later...

I would love to go but can't make it. Karl keeps posting lyric sheets and studio shots on Instagram, so it seems they will be well on their way to bringing another album out. Hopefully they can match the quality of Barbara Barbara. I will be there at the next opportunity.

Anyone reckon they will make another return to Glastonbury in 4-5 years, after the way this years set went down? 

7 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I would love to go but can't make it. Karl keeps posting lyric sheets and studio shots on Instagram, so it seems they will be well on their way to bringing another album out. Hopefully they can match the quality of Barbara Barbara. I will be there at the next opportunity.

Anyone reckon they will make another return to Glastonbury in 4-5 years, after the way this years set went down? 

i'd like to think so, but history suggests it could go either way for them.  they've not been consistant crowd pleasers for two decades despite releasing  music pretty consistantly.  their '99 set was fantastic but it counted for little with the bookers in the years that followed.

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

i'd like to think so, but history suggests it could go either way for them.  they've not been consistant crowd pleasers for two decades despite releasing  music pretty consistantly.  their '99 set was fantastic but it counted for little with the bookers in the years that followed.

Realistically they've probably only got one more Glastonbury set in them if they get offered a slot again, so I hope they do get offered another chance to play. I really don't see why not to be honest.