EAST AND WEST CAMPER CREW

Swine_Glasto2014

We (me, my two kids, and new husband - who managed to dislocate his knee on Saturday!) had to be off the isle of Avalon campsite in Glastonbury town, by 11am this morning. As with all the other campers and caravanners there... We all contemplated where to relocate to. One person there received a call from a friend to say that they'd got in - one of the lucky 50 I guess... There was then a bit of a rush where people busied themselves to leave. On leaving Glastonbury town, there were already caravans and motor homes gathering in the car park of Morrisons and Tesco. Not leaving much room for manoeuvres - certainly not for me - an inexperienced woman caravan tow-er in charge of a van and caravan!! Obviously husband cannot drive because of his busted up leg which is in a full leg splint, housing a knee the size of England's bruised football. 

So here we are, sat in a layby, approximately a mile from the east campervan field turn off, on the A37, facing the wrong way, as are all the other Caravans/motorhomes. All lay-bys before here were full. Local traffic is racing past. My kids are ready to rip oneanothers eyeballs out. It's not a great predicament and I put myself here.  

We arrived in Glastonbury on Saturday and as we passed the site then, the ground looked terrible.. With visible water above the grasslike in places.

when passing the east camper turning an hour and a half ago, the stewards who I stopped and spoke to, waved me on, disinterested that I'm nervous as hell towing this thing, that my partner has had an accident and is on crutches and pretty much incapacitated. Whaaaaa.  

My advice would be to re-visit your glasto list, go get the essentials you didn't think you've have time to and dont be in any hurry to get here. 

The the motorhomes and caravans that are frequenting the lay-bys are going to have to turn in the road or head out further to the next nearest roundabout when the gates are eventually opened. 

I'm anticipating many 36 point turns in the road!! 

Stay safe. Be sensible.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, 504329lt said:

We drove down last night and was already outside in a layby before I heard about 6pm opening.  Anyway everyone headed in at 8am; should I have sat in the layby all day?

We would have done the same if we were in your position. 

Sat in a lane queued more or less opposite to the east entrance. Ideal little spot, but there are vehicles everywhere. No news as of yet, but imagine we'll be pretty close to the action if anything happens. Will report back as & when.

Edited by yehbutnobut

1 minute ago, yehbutnobut said:

Sat in a lane queued more or less opposite to the east entrance. Ideal little spot, but there are vehicles everywhere. No news as of yet, but imagine we'll be pretty close to the action if anything happens. Will report back as & when.

It's going to be instant traffic jams and total carnage when they open 

We were in two vans amongst the lucky few in a bizarre twist of circumstances that put us in the right place at the right time...I was enroute last night before the email, and was merrily sitting in a layby where i was pitched for the day...Had a cuppa with my layby neighbour,when it turned out that thanks to a misunderstood text I sent, one of my work colleagues wives was in a van behind me (neither of us knew)...Quick chat and it turned out she had spoken to the marshall on the road who had told her 8am opening....Obviously he got it wrong....it should have been for crew only....We drove straight in, no ticket check, nothing, and there were no marshalls to park so we followed the van in front and parked up...A short time ago security and marshalls came round to check tickets, give the van a good going over, and give us our sticker.

Bt disorganised, and even then people ignoring what and where the marshalls were telling them to go. Even witnessed first hand someone giving a marshall some money to move elsewhere in the field....

Metal tracks have settled in places due to soft ground and will settle some more with pumping on ground but all driveable.  Fields in way in look boggy.  E20 and E21 are quite good with exception of the dip towards the far hedge in E20.  Top of hill of death is all dry now and looking OK.  Vendors in the food stalls in E20 look fairly pissed off that they have lost their trade today

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Sat in the cafe opposite the east camper turning. Good food if anyone wants to pop down?!,

Also do cider / beer at £3 a bottle.

Any space to park there?  We're parked in a layby just up the road, but could get something to eat .

1 minute ago, ploppy said:

Any space to park there?  We're parked in a layby just up the road, but could get something to eat .

I expect you could plonk it somewhere. If you don't want to risk it just walk down. Latest we've heard is still 6pm for entry so no one going anywhere soon!

It's pretty busy down here but I just managed to get a spot to park and am in the cafe opposite. Now chilled and relaxed about 20 metres from the entrance. Hundreds of campers in the lay-bys all around.

29 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I expect you could plonk it somewhere. If you don't want to risk it just walk down. Latest we've heard is still 6pm for entry so no one going anywhere soon!