Euro referendum Glasto disenfranchised?

airwaves

It will be a shame to miss all the unfurling drama.

I think we'll stay in as the Stay campaign will be bigger with more powerful interests and the Out campaign will be portrayed as Ukipper loonies. Both sides will get hysterical, misinterpret data and make wild claims about what will happen if the other side wins. I can't wait.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The EU referendum clashing with Glasto is looking increasingly likely - an interesting situation. Had to know what proportion of attendees would be likely to vote. I'd assume that the majority would be in favour of remaining part of the EU, but hard to be sure. What is certain is that lots of people wouldn't take the time to register for a postal ballot.

Not fully decided, but i'll be 80% voting to leave. 

Extraordinary undemocratic, almost like a benign Soviet Union. 

The idea of unelected bureaucrats making laws for a large number of, and hugely diverse countries just can't work in my opinion and doesn't.

And the farcical way in which the EU has handled the refugee crisis leading to desperate scenes in Greece/Turkey, which has now led to a simmering rise in the far right. Exposed the "union" as anything but and we have seen a chaotic and splintered approach to the whole issue. 

Also will open the door for TTIP and make it far more inevitable in my opinion, which would also be a huge attack on democracy. The EU only works as a union when money/big business is the game. 

Saw someone saying if we vote to leave the Tories will be unchained. True to an extent BUT their party line is actually to stay in Europe. 

***Ducks for cover!!***

3 hours ago, Tyonks said:

Not fully decided, but i'll be 80% voting to leave. 

Extraordinary undemocratic, almost like a benign Soviet Union. 

If you take a moment to actually look at the facts, the democratic structure of the EU is remarkably similar to the UK's democratic structure - far more than any other nation.

It's absolutely fuck all like the USSR, tho it's a favourite thing of kippers to make that comparison - which only shows just how right wing those commentors are.

12 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

people dont think about the rights we`ll lose or the legislation which protects us or the fact many brits work either in the eu or with the eu and will have livelihoods affected, no no its all about the immigrants, but then who can blame then thats about the only topic the media talks about in relation to the in/out debate! Ive got kids I not only want them to have the same rights ive enjoyed and the same chance of free travel between nations ive enjoyed but I want them growing up in a country that trys to be a part of the world and not an isolated relic trying to act like the british empire (only without an empire this time)

For once, penguin, I pretty much agree with your every word. :)

But I will point out that geographic position is an unalterable part of what's in the mix of the view from the UK. We're on the physical fringes of Europe and that has had a strong bearing on the culture we've developed, while those more physically central within Europe have a more European-centralised culture as a result of being at the crossroads.

That doesn't mean we can't use our intellect to overcome the UK's different historical/cultural view, but it also means that that historical/cultural view is a bit more complex than should be dismissed as just empire building or little Englanders or whatever (tho those types exist as well).

I'm hoping the In campaign isn't too negative. I hope they highlight the benefits being in Europe has brought this country, and don't just focus on the bad things that will happen if we leave.

Liverpool would be unrecognizable without the eu funding it receives. Do you really think the tories would do the same? The 'managed decline' policy of the past would be accelerated all over the country. Cornwall too benefits hugely from the eu for example.

Those thinking about leaving should think very very carefully before casting their vote.

Have a look at who the tories are who want to leave. The most odious of them all. Do you really think they want to do so for the good of the country?

1 hour ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

people dont think about the rights we`ll lose or the legislation which protects us or the fact many brits work either in the eu or with the eu and will have livelihoods affected, no no its all about the immigrants, but then who can blame then thats about the only topic the media talks about in relation to the in/out debate! Ive got kids I not only want them to have the same rights ive enjoyed and the same chance of free travel between nations ive enjoyed but I want them growing up in a country that trys to be a part of the world and not an isolated relic trying to act like the british empire (only without an empire this time)

If we had  a Labour Government I might be more swayed to say Leave as I might have more trust in them creating the new laws to replace the EU laws such as the Human Rights Act....... but as we have Tories then I concerns me greatly how much effort they would put into taking away rights from people when drafting new laws.

Will be voting for us to leave 

A further 1-3m muslims are predicted to enter the EU this year, EU say 1m and Nigel Farage says 3m so the truth is probably half way between the 2.

EU can't cope with the existing tsunami of muslims and there could be millions more joining them, frightening prospect

We need to stop these muslims coming in to Britain, many of the ones in the EU are moderate and law abiding and just want a job and safety, but...

A sizeable number have been bought up in extreme forms of islam where women are considered lower than dogs, this has been seen in frightening numbers in Germany where women are frequently raped by muslims and many swimming baths and nightclubs have had to ban muslims altogether because of women being molested, do we want that in the UK? no no no

Extreme islam also brings sharia law, forced marriages, the veil, genital mutilation and other vile practices that are incompatible with our culture

Only taking control of our borders and leaving the EU can we be sure we can keep out the muslim extremists and keep our women safe

6 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'm hoping the In campaign isn't too negative. I hope they highlight the benefits being in Europe has brought this country, and don't just focus on the bad things that will happen if we leave.

Liverpool would be unrecognizable without the eu funding it receives. Do you really think the tories would do the same? The 'managed decline' policy of the past would be accelerated all over the country. Cornwall too benefits hugely from the eu for example.

Those thinking about leaving should think very very carefully before casting their vote.

Have a look at who the tories are who want to leave. The most odious of them all. Do you really think they want to do so for the good of the country?

the problem is not every city has done as well as Liverpool some city's and town have been classed as a immigrants hub and receive no funding from the EU to help pay for this in terms of more homes, school places or hospital places even if there is a lack of places before they arrive so its the same old its good those it benefits and shit for those that don't.

I'm not saying Liverpool don't take more then enough or have enough problems but for some its not so easy to see the benefit of being in the EU.

I am European and see it as utter daftness to leave something that we are.

What's the logical conclusion to leaving - what values are you embracing? Keep applying them and you end up on your own with the door locked reading the daily mail. Bonkers.

As for the immigration argument - how on earth does that change if we leave - it won't, in fact we'll be on our own. Why should the French block the drain?

Immigration is a divisive subject and not something that should be swept under the carpet in the forthcoming campaigns, but I do not feel for one moment we will lose out economically by leaving

We are the strongest growing economy in the G8, one of the strongest and most powerful in the world, i very much doubt that Germany, France etc will stop trading with us, they need our business

Plus being free of the shackles of the EU and not having to contribute to it any more will leave us free to negotiate our own trade treaties with the rest of the world, UK will prosper outside of EU

10 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

Many of 'these Muslims' I consider workmates and friends......id rather live around them then any ignorant bigot such as yourself, the fact you csnt seem to tell the differnece between ordinary muslims and extremists/terrorists says a lot.....it takes a special kind of ignorance to view people in that way

I do not believe in a total ban Donald Trump style, what i believe in hence my 'control over our borders' comment is that we can bring in an Australian style points system so we can select who we want here 

it is highly unlikely that the Cologne attackers for example were doctors, dentists,  pharmacists, engineers, scientists etc, but likely were unskilled unemployables, an Australian style system would weed out the types from Cologne most likely

Plus free of EU we would be free to bring in legislation that bans migrants from claiming a penny in benefits for 5 years upon arrival, we can't do that atm

Edited by Terence Fletcher
Typo

ok, the economic/trade argument...
UK relies heavily on banking/finance - so will we be an outpost tax dodgers, money laundering paradise post leaving? Because why would we be an attractive prospect otherwise?
Manufacturing and services - we benefit from being closely tied with Europe's artificially high, legacy standard of living. Slowly, as the communication revolution rolls out, globally, standards of living will draw closer - we'll drop, RoW will improve. Leaving Europe means we drop faster - uncontrollably faster. Competing with India/China/Brazil - do we honestly think we're cleverer than them? No, they beat us on manufacturing and are rapidly beating us on IP - I really don't want to compete with them on my own. I'd rather compete as part of a much larger club.