First time, so many questions - also going solo

Beegone

Hi there,

I've scored tickets for this year's festival however the Glastonbury website doesn't really give you the information needed.

In regards to choosing a campsite when do you go about this and how?

Also it is more than likely I'm going to going solo so anyone else going solo who would like to join forces?

Hi there,

I've scored tickets for this year's festival however the Glastonbury website doesn't really give you the information needed.

In regards to choosing a campsite when do you go about this and how?

Also it is more than likely I'm going to going solo so anyone else going solo who would like to join forces?

have a read at http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

There's no such thing as the universal ideal place. In part it depends on the sort of music you like and where you are likely to end up at the end of the night. You don't want a long trek across the site to your tent when your tired and knackered.

Sometimes it's worth a trek on arrival to get to a decent place as you'll then be there for the best part of a week.

Most importantly, for a newbie, is make sure you know where your tent is and orientate yourself during the day relative to unchanging things like roads, pylons, toilet blocks and hedges. No point thinking your tent is next to the big blue one because by the time you get back there will be dozens of other big blue ones. Also tent colours are hard to distinguish in the dark.

make sure you know where your tent is and orientate yourself during the day relative to unchanging things like roads, pylons, toilet blocks and hedges. No point thinking your tent is next to the big blue one because by the time you get back there will be dozens of other big blue ones. Also tent colours are hard to distinguish in the dark.

A flag or similar at the tent can be helpful to find your way home

There's no such thing as the universal ideal place. In part it depends on the sort of music you like and where you are likely to end up at the end of the night. You don't want a long trek across the site to your tent when your tired and knackered.

Sometimes it's worth a trek on arrival to get to a decent place as you'll then be there for the best part of a week.

Most importantly, for a newbie, is make sure you know where your tent is and orientate yourself during the day relative to unchanging things like roads, pylons, toilet blocks and hedges. No point thinking your tent is next to the big blue one because by the time you get back there will be dozens of other big blue ones. Also tent colours are hard to distinguish in the dark.

Thanks for reminding me! I've made the mistake of not doing this at another festival, then realising on the way back that I had no idea where my tent was. After hours of walking I finally found it. However that festival is like a quarter of the size of Glastonbury.

I made a similar mistake a good few years ago when I went solo. I parked my car and didn't really make a clear mental note of where it was, except that it was next to a very big red van. When I came to depart the van had gone and it took me a couple of hours of pushing my barrow around car parks till I found mine.

First-timer here as well. Managed to score festival+coach tickets departing from London, which we mainly went for because we missed out the last 2 years.

Main question right now: any clues as to where in London these coaches will be departing from?

Victoria coach station if my memory serves me correctly...

Victoria coach station if my memory serves me correctly...

National Express go from Victoria, but think SeeTickets coaches go from the O2 in North Greenwich

Thank you both. My first reaction was that Victoria would be preferable to the O2, but coming in from Norwich it seems that, according to Google Maps at least, that would actually save me about 30 minutes travel time.

Finding a camp site overlooking The Pyramid stage can be a good idea as you can always find your way back to that.

And all roads lead from that so to speak

I'd agree with that, although for those arriving by bus it's quite a long trek from Gate A.

• 2 weeks later...

But Radiohead fans take note.

Should they be performing on the Sunday - you should not pitch your tent in front of the barrier on the Weds morning and not be prepared from some aggro including the word

"Geeks " spray painted on your tent.

This is glasto tho so security will just leave you be and may bring you milk and rolls on a morning !

If you're arriving via Gate A, you'll find the campsites that are spoken of highly are also the ones miles away from your point of entry. Last year I attempted to walk to Dairy Ground but collapsed at Pennards and stayed there. My experience was really good, although I admit I did spend part of my time looking at how much space there was in the field closer to Gate A and wishing I'd just set up as soon as I got in. In fact, I felt that way for most of the first day, but all that changed when night time kicked in, as I realised how much closer I was to everything and how that killer walk was worth it.

I'm aiming for a tipi this year, but if I were to do it in the same way as I did it last time, I'd put everything but my tent into a lock up the moment I get my wristband, go and set up my tent closer to the action, then come back and collect the rest of my stuff. I'd then put everything valuable (including booze) into a lock up closest to my tent. That's really the way to do it, in my opinion. Your instinct will tell you not to waste time putting everything in a lock up straight away but rather to get to your tent pitch, but fight this. You'll thank yourself as you overtake others struggling to carry all their Glasto belongings in one go.

If you're arriving via Gate A, you'll find the campsites that are spoken of highly are also the ones miles away from your point of entry. Last year I attempted to walk to Dairy Ground but collapsed at Pennards and stayed there. My experience was really good, although I admit I did spend part of my time looking at how much space there was in the field closer to Gate A and wishing I'd just set up as soon as I got in. In fact, I felt that way for most of the first day, but all that changed when night time kicked in, as I realised how much closer I was to everything and how that killer walk was worth it.

I'm aiming for a tipi this year, but if I were to do it in the same way as I did it last time, I'd put everything but my tent into a lock up the moment I get my wristband, go and set up my tent closer to the action, then come back and collect the rest of my stuff. I'd then put everything valuable (including booze) into a lock up closest to my tent. That's really the way to do it, in my opinion. Your instinct will tell you not to waste time putting everything in a lock up straight away but rather to get to your tent pitch, but fight this. You'll thank yourself as you overtake others struggling to carry all their Glasto belongings in one go.

I suggest putting your stuff in the lockups in 2 or more batches, that way you can pick up the first batch without overloading yourself. You can't withdraw part of what you leave in a lockup, so splitting it first saves time booking stuff back in (and photograph your tickets in case you lose them)

• 1 month later...