Cat Stevens for Sunday Legend Slot.

Cooter

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking forward to Tell 'Em I'm Gone being released. Hearing 'Roadsinger' live would be great, and presumably he's also play something off 'One more Cup Of Tea' too. Throw in 'The First Cut Is the Deepest', 'The Wind', 'All You Need Is Love', 'Where True Love Goes', 'Changes IV', 'Father and Son', 'Peace Train', 'Morning Has Broken', and 'Wild World' and it would be terrific.

So is Diana Ross no longer likely?

the last I heard from him was when he was supporting the execution of Salman Rushdie

peace train indeed

it's just another version of the stupid blasphemy laws that exist in many places, with the UK having it's own version until 2006 (long after the Rushdie thing).

People in the UK have little scope for the higher moral ground on that subject. ;)

is that a justification?

Is it a justification for religious nuttiness? Nope.

But if you give the religious special powers - as the UK has - then they're going to have a moral justification to call for those powers to be used.

If a society gives those powers as the UK has, then they're on no moral safe ground to condemn others for the same.

But anyway, from what i can remember of what I've read of Yusaf within the last decade (after much of the fuss around him has died away), I believe it's the case that he claims to have been misrepresented over what he actually said.

Don't forget, even back then there was plenty of bigotted British media just as their is now, who are perfectly willing to print bollocks that plays to their readership's prejudices.

Is he actually playing proper gigs? When he toured in 2009 he previewed his new musical didn't he?

Anyway, still sounds the biz! Would be much better in a tent. Acoustic Tent too small surely?

P.S. As much as I find his faith (any faith) a bit ridiculous, his name is Yusuf Islam now. Sort of offensive to call him anything else.

Edited by The Nal

Is he actually playing proper gigs? When he toured in 2009 he previewed his new musical didn't he?

yeah mainly new stuff he does medleys were he slips into old stuff, the crowd cheer, he does that for a bit, and then goes off somewhere else. The album I linked to above has all the songs he does in a full set, plus there's more off the last 3 albums, and a cover or two.

Set list from Chile last year:

Moonshadow

(Cat Stevens cover)

Where Do the Children Play?

(Cat Stevens cover)

Sitting

(Cat Stevens cover)

I Love My Dog / Here Comes My Baby / The First Cut Is the Deepest

(Cat Stevens cover)

The Wind

(Cat Stevens cover)

Thinking 'Bout You

Miles from Nowhere

(Cat Stevens cover)

Sad Lisa

(Cat Stevens cover)

Everytime I Dream

Don't Be Shy

(Cat Stevens cover)

You Can Do (Whatever)

Maybe There's a World / All You Need Is Love

Oh Very Young

(Cat Stevens cover)

Roadsinger

Foreigner Suite / Heaven/Where True Love Goes

Midday (Avoid City After Dark)

Juego Bonito

Rubylove

(Cat Stevens cover)

My People

Changes IV

(Cat Stevens cover)

Father and Son

(Cat Stevens cover)

Peace Train

(Cat Stevens cover)

Encore:

Morning Has Broken

(Cat Stevens cover)

Wild World

(Cat Stevens cover)

Tuesday's Dead

(Cat Stevens cover)

Edited by 5co77ie

P.S. As much as I find his faith (any faith) a bit ridiculous, his name is Yusuf Islam now. Sort of offensive to call him anything else.

While I tend to agree he still promotes his music using both Yusuf and Cat Stevens.

In fact, I think one of his albums had a sticker saying 'The Artist Formerly Known As Cat Stevens' on it, though whether that was the record company or his own little joke I dunno.

have you ever read the satanic verses? Utterly dull pretentious shite. That's a week I'll never get back.

Yusuf was spot on.

It was utterly horrific. Almost as boring as Bleak House. But I'm not sure being boring is a good enough reason to kill someone...

At any rate, Yusuf's said a few times that he was misrepresented. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'd love to see him at Glastonbury, his music would fit, Wild World, Father & Son, Peace Train, Morning Has Broken, First Cut Is The Deepest etc would all go done really well in the Sunday sunshine.

I'd have thought it would also appeal to the festival to have a high profile muslim playing.

But...I'm not going to try for his London show, still smarting at the Kate Bush tickets price I paid!!

tickets a snip at £90!

Fucks sake.

Interesting clip Tony. Been reading a bit of the Quran recently as it happens. Well, secondary readings. You can cherry pick from it to suit a point of view just like the Bible. You'll find arguments that both equally support and reject killing Rushdie for example.

Its a load of old bollocks basically. Religious fundamentalism.

Would be happy to see him play as long as he doesn't harp on about religion during the set. Does he?

Edited by The Nal

You've watched it all the way thru, yeah? Where he makes clear he'd follow the law of the land, and not just do it because he could?

Like any copper in the UK who might have arrested someone for blasphemy prior to 2006?

It's a view that's exactly the same as someone who might want excecutions for murders in this country, but who doesn't then take it upon himself to go out and 'execute' murders.

It's not a view I agree with, but neither is it what you claimed, which was "he was supporting the execution of Salman Rushdie". ;)

Edited by eFestivals

not interested in what laws he might be conforming to, he does support the fatwa. I can't see how you can come to a different conclusion

He supports it only so far as it's legal. :rolleyes:

It's exactly the same as Christian in the UK supporting the death penalty because that's what the bible says - but for it to only actually happen when it's legal.

most of the supporters of executions are usually because they've done something pretty bad, like killing someone else in the first place (even then, I disagree with capital punishment... I thought you did too?), not because they've expressed an opinion that they disagree with.

Personally, I find wanting to put another person to death for any reason at all all the same.

The crime is putting someone to death, it's not a crime that is lessened by anything that you might think 'a better reason'. ;)

since when did 2 wrongs make a right

when it's a singer you like?

:rolleyes:

Not at all. I find his views as abhorrent as do the views of a UK Christian supporting the death penalty for religious reasons - because that's Yusaf's view too.

Just because he has a "funny" religion compared to the UK-cultural norm doesn't make his view a special case within religious views.

Edited by eFestivals