NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The Nal

So Spelunky is essentially Mario with different levels every time you play rather than 30 or so levels?

But there must be something similar about the levels for everyone doing "Eggplant run" to be able to say it's hard? Maybe this guy just got lucky and got an easier version? (Because the levels are different? :S)

The game is hard anyway, without having to transport a delicate aubergine through 20 levels. My play stats show that I've played it about 1000 times :O I have beaten it once. And that's only the 16 level version. There are 4 levels (hell) that I have never made it to.

I've watched a lot of the video and it is not a case of him getting an "easier version". The guy is an utter master at the game. He gets a dark level at one point which are notoriously difficult. Most people would have died on that level if they had to transport an aubergine and a torch round the level.

Anyway, I know I keep banging on about it, but more people need to play this game. It is gaming crack distilled into its finest essence.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll get on that at some point then.

Has anyone ever played The Wolf Among Us? Got episode 1 free last week, not played it yet.

Aye its really good. very nice art style. Gameplay is similar to TWD. Bit more involved tho

I've just invested in a PS Vista from ebay. 4gb card, wi-fi only (no 3g) and Need for Speed pre loaded. £106.99 with postage.

If it gets only half the use I've given my PSP and DS over the years it will be worth every penny I think.

Can anyone recommend any must have games (OK I get Sperlunky).

I've just invested in a PS Vista from ebay. 4gb card, wi-fi only (no 3g) and Need for Speed pre loaded. £106.99 with postage.

If it gets only half the use I've given my PSP and DS over the years it will be worth every penny I think.

I got one a month or so ago, PS Vita 3G, 10 game download pack, Fifa Football and a 16GB card for £145.

I've already played it more than I did my DS or 3DS, Tearaway is brilliant. Main reason I got it though was for the remote play/second screen features along with my PS4.

Absolutely loving Mario 3D World. Best game I've played in a long time. Can play it for 5 minutes or 5 hours. Clean, slick, fast, pure, deep gameplay, classic Nintendo formula polished and refined and a ton of small innovations. No DLC shoved in your face. No tacked on multiplayer. It's the first game I have played where the developer has actually thought about what you can do with HD in terms of gameplay, the new cherry power up working in four player mode is the result. It's like looking at the insides of the finest clock at times. Every other developer compromises their game by focusing on other things. Mario relies entirely on being a showcase of mechanics. Some people don't get that, they can't see that everything in a Mario title is a result of design first, concept second. It's a lost art in AAA development, and Nintendo stand out by being the only ones still making games this way.

Also, finally got around to some Skyrim, the latest Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite and they're all excellent in their own way. The only thing I don't like is that Tomb Raider has too much cutscene crap and feels a bit too Uncharted-loose and hand-holdy at times, and the QTE parts are just terrible. Just let me play and stop making me watch the good bits! After playing Mario which is entirely interactive it does highlight how much control a lot of modern AAA games wrench completely out of your hands and start emulating movies, and do it too frequently and for too long.

It's good that Mario exists it really is. It's a sanity check against an industry gone a bit squiffy and perverted and one that I find difficult to relate to at times and it's left me feeling a bit cold; most games don't feel like they're meant for me (most feel like they're for a maladjusted 13 year old boy who thinks blood and swearing is the height of maturity). As soon as the first level loaded up it was like meeting an old friend I haven't seen in years. There's a giddy feeling that comes with the little risk/reward inherent in every jump you make. I forget that I'm holding a controller with Mario. It's an extension of the arm, it's so natural and ergonomic and comfortable, almost warm. You don't NEED unlockables or achievements in Mario - just playing it is the reward, the reason you play it. It was like "Oh, yeah, I remember this! THIS is why I fell in love with videogames!"

Edited by Purple Monkey

This falls into NEXT GEN CONSOLE THINGS YR HAPPY ABOUT...

So I got GTA V on Digital download recently, in the Christmas sale. Fantastic game. But I'm gutted I don't have the pre-order Blimp. Just so cool, hanging around there in the sky. Also a great way - apparently - of rapid map transport.

So, I bought a pre-order code off eBay. Less than two quid... AND IT WORKS!

Does anyone know if the 'gamer' ps4 pack is ever coming back? It was the one which was £430 for a ps4 with killzone, a second controller and the camera. Is by far the best value deal out there. Obviously ps4 stock in general is fairly sparse at the moment but I can't find anything to tell me if that pack was just a launch special type deal or will start to appear again.

Should have one soon but not really in any rush and can't be arsed getting stung with the bundles retailers with PS4's are trying to put on people. I swear I only want the thing for Resogun too..

I got one a month or so ago, PS Vita 3G, 10 game download pack, Fifa Football and a 16GB card for £145.

I've already played it more than I did my DS or 3DS...

Just after posting I also picked up a 16gb card with the usual 10 game download pack and won another snipe of four games for a few quid. Sounds like we got a similar deal. I can't wait to play Everybodys Golf again and hope they haven't fucked up the controls by using silly touchscreen tiltyness just for the sake of it.. That goes for Wipeout as well.

Did you ever play the Advance Wars games on DS (or the GBA?). Probably my most played games ever.

The Third One?

So it goes:

GBA 1 & 2

DS: Dual Strike & Days of Ruin.

A quick search shows there's lots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_(series) but only four for GBA/DS.

So, if by the third one you mean Dual Strike THEN BUY IT NOW.

By far the best imo.

Yeah I do. I'll see how cheap I can get one. Fairly tight money wise.

Get a PS plus membership. You'll get Uncharted and Gravity Rush which are both excellent. This month you'll get Soul Sacrifice too, which I haven't played yet but is supposed to be good.

Tearaway is also brilliant. Like Purple Monkey said about Mario, it reminds you why you started playing games in the first place. It's just an utter joy to play.

I loved Dual Strike. How much you looking to spend on it Kaos? I've started to clean out my old games as I just don't want keep games I don't play anymore so I might me able to sell you mine.

Well I've got a £7 bid running on ebay right now, basically under £10.

Well, GTA V is a buggy pile of shite.

Got the Christmas pack and now your saved games don't load if connected to the Internet? Check.

Doing the Dead Man Walking mission and get environment-stuck every time in a cut-scene? Check.

Get Franklyn's MTX outfit but it doesn't show in wardrobe? Check.

Have two missions "available" for Franklin, but only one shows on the map? Check.

All these problems well-known since Day 1 and still not fixed? Check.

Should have known, though. The first planned mission you do is part of the "Bugstars" team.

Get a PS plus membership. You'll get Uncharted and Gravity Rush which are both excellent. This month you'll get Soul Sacrifice too, which I haven't played yet but is supposed to be good.

Tearaway is also brilliant. Like Purple Monkey said about Mario, it reminds you why you started playing games in the first place. It's just an utter joy to play.

So can you get all that with the 14 day free membership? Seems too good to be true.

Even if you get that for £5.49 for a months membership it seems worth it.