The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Eight days a week, Ron Howard's Beatles documentary, made for good watching.  I'd seen much of the footage before, but laid out as it was as a timeline, with reconstructed stills and video being played over archive audio I found it to be a good history of the first half of their career.  I'd be very happy to see a post Sergeant Pepper film in a similar style.

I bloody love a Rockumentary, so looking forward to this one - heard good things. There's a doc about the Stooges about called Gimmie Danger, which might also be worth a watch. Favorite Rock-docs? Go on then...(in no real order)

The Punk Singer

Mistaken For Strangers

Amy

Searching For Sugar Man

Cobain: Montage Of Heck

20 Feet From Stardom

George Harrison: Living In A Material World

Beware Of Mr Baker

No Distance Left To Run

Crossfire Hurricane

Any I've missed? Plenty more I could have listed, but thought I'd try and slim it down a bit!

17 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Oil city confidential is one of the best. 

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Gimme Shelter

Some Kind of Monster

Don't Look Back

No Direction Home

It Might Get Loud

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

The Filth and The Fury

Be Here to Love Me

Anvil

The Pink Floyd & Syd Barrett Story

Which One's Pink

Cheers both, will add some of those I haven't seen to the list.

Enjoyed the Stones thing. Mental seeing just how worked up some of their fans over there got

Watched Holy Hell on Netflix last night which I enjoyed a lot. Documentaries about cults are always fascinating but the fact that the guy who ran this one was hilariously bizarre made it even more enjoyable 

On 11/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, The Nal said:

It Might Get Loud

Watched this last night and enjoyed it; cheers for the recommendation. Three legends talking about their passions, and the jam scenes are great. The ease at which Jack White manages to write a decent blues song in a couple of minutes, record it and hand over the tape to the filmmaker is nothing short of incredible. Oh to have talent like that!

Anyone seen the White Stripes doc Under Great White Northern Lights? Is it worth seeking out?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Anyone seen Life, Illustrated? From what I've heard it sounds amazing, and likely to have me in floods of tears.

Idiot. It's called Life, Animated.

53 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The OJ documentary is my favourite of this year. Maybe one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Oscar shortlist here

Cheers for that. It looks like a series, rather than a film. Is that right? I'm probably being ignorant, but how does that qualify for the Oscars? I guess they could cut it down to a cinematic release. How did you see it?

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Idiot. It's called Life, Animated.

Cheers for that. It looks like a series, rather than a film. Is that right? I'm probably being ignorant, but how does that qualify for the Oscars? I guess they could cut it down to a cinematic release. How did you see it?

Yeah they already showed it in theatres in LA and New York (for one week) before the TV release which means its qualified. They knew it was good!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/22/2017 at 0:24 PM, The Nal said:

Agree with Rathburn here. Thought it was a terrible documentary. Big fan of Theroux but the whole thing was a mess.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/apr/21/louis-theroux-my-scientology-movie-mark-rathbun

Tend to agree. I haven't seen Going Clear, but apparently that's much better. The Theroux one was an unstructured look at the intricacies of parking laws on public roads in the US. Nothing of substance at all.

The last third shifted focus a bit to Rathburn, who was a bit of an easy target. As one of the only guys they could actually speak to, I thought it was a bit cruel to focus on his personal life and the flaws in his character. It seemed like they probably knew they didn't have enough material to make a decent study of the church, so cobbled together what they had to try and save it.

Edited by big__phil

8 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Tend to agree. I haven't seen Going Clear, but apparently that's much better. The Theroux one was an unstructured look at the intricacies of parking laws on public roads in the US. Nothing of substance at all.

The last third felt shifted focus a bit to Rathburn, who was a bit of an easy target. As one of the only guys they could actually speak to, I thought it was a bit cruel to focus on his personal life and the flaws in his character. It seemed like they probably knew they didn't have enough material to make a decent study of the church, so cobbled together what they had to try and save it.

haha! Yeah its actiually really bad when you think about it. He didn't have a film to release!  

Going Clear is fantastic. Total hatchet job but entertaining. 

Tower is really good. About a sniper shooting people in America. It uses animation to recount from the victims perspective,  was well done. The film targets is based on this event too and I could be wrong but I think its the inspiration for the first Dirty Harry.

edit. Yeah Im wrong, Dirty Harry was zodiac killer.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Tuesday I got to see American Valhalla at Docfest (world Premiere too!) the documentary about Iggy Pop and Josh Homme and how Post Pop Depression came about. Fair to say its brilliant, highly recommend seeing it also has some fantastic photography in it too

10 hours ago, edwardjc14 said:

So Tuesday I got to see American Valhalla at Docfest (world Premiere too!) the documentary about Iggy Pop and Josh Homme and how Post Pop Depression came about. Fair to say its brilliant, highly recommend seeing it also has some fantastic photography in it too

Looking forward to that. 

And this

• 3 months later...