First Glastonbury in 10 years - what's new?!

prestonmanc

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Congestion bottlenecks . They needed to clear that area as people struggled to get out the park at busy times . The flowers also got snapped off if I recal 

The futuristic sticks are still there though, no? I guess maybe they're positioned a bit wider 

1 hour ago, bob323 said:

if you like bland generic electro DnB ish EDM music, thats sounds almost like the same song being played in almost every part of the site  - after hours, you're going to be in for a massive treat

Yes why is that? I love all sorts of music including dance but a lot of it down the SE corner is of the DnB variety. Now it's all over the Glade! Please bookers more variety please!

1 hour ago, bob323 said:

if you like bland generic electro DnB ish EDM music, thats sounds almost like the same song being played in almost every part of the site  - after hours, you're going to be in for a massive treat

That’s really not the case at all. Fair enough if you don’t like electronic music but it’s a poor take, like saying that Coldplay are same as Metallica.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bob323 said:

The Same as Saying all bands that use

guitars are the same. Massive variety of late night stuff going on - 

Even non dance stuff though kind of obviously The Dance Stages like Arcadia play dance music at night (Shocker) of which traditionally only Sunday is dnb night. 

Plenty of non dance Green Fields in particular have late night music that is Never dance music.  

Edited by Ben7amin_

I'll add... if you're a connoisseur of bland electro DnB music it will sounds massively different all over the place and you'll have a great time,

you'll even find this fantastically varied bland EDM music in strummerville, after about 12am - but avoid the one place in greenfields, apart from that one (non) bar you'll be ok

@Ben7amin - please explain the word "Plenty" in this context? Edited by bob323
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bob323 said:

I'll add... if you're a connoisseur of bland electro DnB music it will sounds massively different all over the place and you'll have a great time,

you'll even find this fantastically varied bland EDM music in strummervile, after about 12am - but avoid the one place in greenfields, apart from that one (non) bar you'll be ok

@Ben7amin - please explain the word "Plenty" in this context?

You’re lumping house/dnb/techno/trance all together as one thing because you’re not into it! 

32 minutes ago, bob323 said:

you'll even find this fantastically varied bland EDM music in strummerville, after about 12am - but avoid the one place in greenfields, apart from that one (non) bar you'll be ok

@Ben7amin - please explain the word "Plenty" in this context?

About 5 stages in the green fields, stuff in theatre & circus; loads of the onsite bars... Avalon Cafe has folk, normally at least one stage in SH or Common is doing Rap/Grime at night.  Glastolatino with its Latin flavours.....

The Truth stage in Shangri La definitely has lots of non dance acts on at night 

Theres 10 + things at least so that's plenty.  Obviously any previous year you had the ability to check the line up pages to see where these things are going on. 

Honestly not being able to tell the difference between drum and base and techno is bizarre. If your gonna rock up to Arcadia, IIcon, Levels etc.... course its gonna be dance music - therefore dance stages..  and are all the time they are open.

The problem is that you seem to have written of a massive slice of the musical pie that is Glastonbury and so your limited music taste is what is limiting your options.   Sorry I can't help you with that 

Edited by Ben7amin_
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

About 5 stages in the green fields, stuff in theatre & circus; loads of the onsite bars...

Theres 10 + things at least so that's plenty. Obviously any previous year you had the ability to check the line up pages to see where these things are going on. 

Honestly not being able to tell the difference between drum and base and techno is bizarre.  The problem is that you seem to have written of a massive slice of the musical pie that is Glastonbury and so your limited music taste is what is limiting your options.   Sorry I can't help you with that 

The green fields venues are tiny relative to the rest of the festival, it's where i tend to end up late on precisely because of the limited choice elsewhere, most of the venues on site have DJs playing what to the uneducated ear pretty much the same stuff.

"Honestly not being able to tell the difference between drum and base and techno is bizarre.", well I must admit I fall into that category too, D and B, Urban, Jungle, Grime, Techno etc, all variations of repetitive banging music to my ears, don't know where one ends and another starts,  though would see Trance as something different. I've no objection to dance music, it's clearly popular but would like a bit more variety overall.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stuie said:

You’re lumping house/dnb/techno/trance all together as one thing because you’re not into it! 

yes, I really don't mind older dance stuff, but I really lump this bland stuff into a huge bucket. the strange thing is that during the day glasto has a huge diversity of music that most people goto and like and yet this diversity just vanishes at night?!

crap tons of (>100 thousands) of people saw elton john/ Qotsa/ GnR etc... and yet just minutes after the main stages stop you're left with a f**k tonne of slight variations of dance music - great if you like that - REALLY annoying listening to people on this board explaining that it's "me" having issues with this. and there's lots of and lots of choices, when in reality theres an extreme limited choices of late night music.

It's as though people are in two camps

1) I'm ok with this dance music all over the place - it's great - screw everyone else (head in bucket)

2) wtf?!

to add - this has deffo got worse in the last few years. but people in group one will never ever seem to see that

Edited by bob323
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, bob323 said:

yes, I really don't mind older dance stuff, but I really lump this bland stuff into a huge bucket. the strange thing is that during the day glasto has a huge diversity of music that most people goto and like and yet this diversity just vanishes at night?!

crap tons of (>100 thousands) of people saw elton john/ Qotsa/ GnR etc... and yet just minutes after the main stages stop you're left with a f**k tonne of slight variations of dance music - great if you like that - REALLY annoying listening to people on this board explaining that it's "me" having issues with this. and there's lots of and lots of choices, when in reality theres an extreme limited choices of late night music.

1) I'm ok with this dance music all over the place - it's great - screw everyone else (head in bucket)

2) wtf?!

to add - this has deffo got worse in the last few years. but people in group one will never ever seem to see that

I suspect the issue is money, it's cheaper to pay for a DJ than for a band, I would love a late night reggae stage or heavy metal/hard rock venue, but it would cost more to put on bands, you need extra crew etc. too, you do get some variety on the Truth Stage but little elsewhere.

Just now, gizmoman said:

I suspect the issue is money, it's cheaper to pay for a DJ than for a band, I would love a late night reggae stage or heavy metal/hard rock venue, but it would cost more to put on bands, you need extra crew etc. too, you do get some variety on the Truth Stage but little elsewhere.

definately,

but having DJs playing more variation would be a start. f**k me it's bleak

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I think the change over periods are the problem even when truth stage has rock on its normally with a DJ in between. Cant imagine the buzzkill at 2 in the morning if a stage had to go quiet while they did a equipment swap. 

Even stagles like green fields ones tend to do acoustic_folk style has they can change over in seconds.

I'm also gonna hazard a guess that the festival is well aware that the demographic of people who stay up late and people who like dance music is a huge intersection. 

25 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think the change over periods are the problem even when truth stage has rock on its normally with a DJ in between. Cant imagine the buzzkill at 2 in the morning if a stage had to go quiet while they did a equipment swap. 

Even stagles like green fields ones tend to do acoustic_folk style has they can change over in seconds.

I'm also gonna hazard a guess that the festival is well aware that the demographic of people who stay up late and people who like dance music is a huge intersection. 

does this mean GFL think everyone who stays up past 12am 'mainly' likes dance music?

Edited by bob323

4 minutes ago, bob323 said:

does this mean GFL think everyone who stays up past 12am 'mainly' likes dance music?

No I don't think  that 

I think most who stay up late at Glastonbury  can get enjoyment out if dance music. Whether it's there it's there normal go to or not. 

I'd not say everyone due to present company. 

You seem desperate to stay up tonight fighting people on the internet.....

I think il leave you to it. 

Edited by Ben7amin_

50 minutes ago, bob323 said:

definately,

but having DJs playing more variation would be a start. f**k me it's bleak

The general vibe of music after 12am is of the DnB variety. Yes there is a  Friday with VTSS or on Levels with Ki/Ki.  You have got to search it out.. mostly filled with DnB which sometimes I like but walking though, past a lot of venues it's seems the same stuff..just change it something different. could be A Dj playing Neal Diamond!! Make it different...rant nearly over

4 hours ago, bob323 said:

2) wtf?!

It’s there if you look for it, bands on hell stage or whatever it’s called this year etc. saw dutty moonshine big band there late…

Edited by stuie

It's my first Glasto in five years, I always loved the variety of stuff you could find at night. I'm not so good with electronic sub genres, couldn't tell you the difference between house and techno, drum and bass or jump up for example (though I'm sure there is!) For those saying there is way more than out there, what should I be checking out as someone ill informed that I wouldn't just slap with a label of house or dnb?

There are alternatives to dance out there after hours, but apart from the odd act on Hell/Truth/Peace, it's mainly in smaller places. Various forms of dance have the spectacles like Arcadia, Levels, IICON, Temple etc. If you're after something guitary, you'll watch a pub band in a small tent and be thankful for it.

Like I say I like most music but after hours I think there is a lack of variety. I think because of Bristols high source of DnB and probably low cost then they are booked to me.. just to get traditionally dance music venues line ups filled..I read there are over 120 full time employees .surely they look at a wider music scene than Bristol? 

13 hours ago, stuie said:

It’s there if you look for it, bands on hell stage or whatever it’s called this year etc. saw dutty moonshine big band there late…

yes - you have to hunt for it and if you do find one, it will likely be rammed

It's a pretty sad state of affairs for a festival that prides itself as a world class festival thats supposidly has diversity.

Edited by bob323

22 minutes ago, bob323 said:

yes - you have to hunt for it and if you do find one, it will likely be rammed

It's a pretty sad state of affairs for a festival that prides itself as a world class festival thats supposidly has diversity.

You have to hunt for acid house / breaks / trance / psytrance too.  You can’t just expect to stumble across specific things to suit your tastes. 

It has diversity and depth and pretty much whatever you want if you look.