What would you make sure to do at your last Glastonbury?

The other Bellboy

1 hour ago, Mike A said:

I saw their show last year. The tent was rammed and there were many young children in attendance.
Though after some point, every few minutes you'd see another parent dragging their brood out 🙂

Thanks for the clarification. I had only seen the website, which indicated that it was for adults only - or at least that's what I seem to recall it saying. It's certainly a show that I'd go to see from the info I did get from the website. Make of that what you will.

10 hours ago, LateStarter50 said:

My imagination isn’t quite kicking into gear, can you tell us any more? 😏

As people have said, it's definitely adults only. With the dude they dragged onto stage, they did a whole routine around him like a fast forwarded story (through dance) of him having an affair with a lady and getting her pregnant, but there was a bit of a love triangle with this fat bald man with pig ears, and sexual acts were mimicked (definitely without this dude's consent). I was going red and it wasn't even me up there, I just felt so embarrassed for him! The show was entertaining, but I don't think they should pick on audience members like that. I couldn't really fully enjoy it afterwards, because it's like "please don't come to me, please don't come to me" lol

16 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Love it - one of my favourite shows and sayings 🙂

i remember the pain of having too wait a while week after every episode lol. bit like waiting for the glasto area posters.....

10 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

As people have said, it's definitely adults only. With the dude they dragged onto stage, they did a whole routine around him like a fast forwarded story (through dance) of him having an affair with a lady and getting her pregnant, but there was a bit of a love triangle with this fat bald man with pig ears, and sexual acts were mimicked (definitely without this dude's consent). I was going red and it wasn't even me up there, I just felt so embarrassed for him! The show was entertaining, but I don't think they should pick on audience members like that. I couldn't really fully enjoy it afterwards, because it's like "please don't come to me, please don't come to me" lol

Oh goodness I’ve seen a taster… but if I happened to be walking past as it was about to start…. Seems it would be rude not to take it in! 😳

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, Neil said:

my last: number 30, was last year, and i didn't think of doing anything special cos it was my last, except relaxing into it and enjoying it to the full, getting around to see a few old friends who have been a constant part of my glastonbury experience

Well done Neil

On 4/9/2024 at 9:14 PM, Neil said:

my last: number 30, was last year, and i didn't think of doing anything special cos it was my last, except relaxing into it and enjoying it to the full, getting around to see a few old friends who have been a constant part of my glastonbury experience

Yes its Old friends you want to see.

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably my last Glastonbury too, Ive been going since 1982, only missing 84, 85 and 89 I’ve worked there for 25 years and I turn 70 the week before the festival so time to call it a day. I’m just going to go round my favourite places and say a quiet goodbye and have a pint. Of course, come Monday morning I’ll have changed my mind so see you next year as well. 

• Like 3

I thought after 21 Glastonbury’s that 2022 would be my last - I was in a lot pain from arthritis in my hips walking with a stick and limited mobility to get around the site ( I later found out I had a collapsed hip!) and I also got COVID so by Saturday was feeling grim. Failed to get tickets last year but had come to the conclusion I wasn’t going to be fit enough with both hips getting worse to go again. 18 months later I now have 2 new hips ( 2 ops in 10 months!) and am volunteering with Oxfam! It may have been my last as a punter and start of a new way to experience Glastonbury in my retirement 😀

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 AM, paulshane said:

>I've heard things about tomato fights, paint fights and

i've been to 20+ glastonburys and have never come across anything like this either, so I suspect it's somene being generous with the truth somewhere or pulling your leg.

but if this year was my last time?

staying up all night and seeing the sun come up is always brillaint - making my way back to my caravan around 7am walking throuihg the site when theres nobody around is great 🙂

There was definitely a huge Tomatino-esque tomato fight a few years ago, in the Temple...ah I see people have chimed in already 🤣

Edited by Superscally
  • Upvote 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:50 AM, Mr Boo said:

This is a great conversation topic. I’m in my 50s and in fairly good health at the moment, so I hope this isn’t my last Glastonbury. This is my first Glastonbury since 2019 (just couldn’t get tickets), so if I factor in that I might have to wait 4-5 years between Glastonbury’s, I probably haven’t got that many left and I’m unlikely to know which is my last Glastonbury until years after the event.

So what I would do at my last one, is what I will do this time also- 

•Not put myself under any pressure, just wander around and let the magical feeling of the place wash over me. 

•On the Thursday I like to go to the craft fields and have a few drinks at the pub in Avalon field, maybe wonder over to Strummerville or sit at the top of the Park field.

• Only go to Pyramid stage for must see bands (not an issue this year).  Had some amazing Glastonbury moments on that stage, but when I think about Glastonbury it’s the other parts of the festival that come to mind.
•I like spending lots of time in the entertainment fields and at the West Holts stage (just feels like the heart of the festival to me).
• I like going to the Leftfield, heard some really interesting things in there, hearing Tony Benn in a debate was a moment I will never forget.

•finding something wonderful- like some amazing act in the circus tent or dancing with the New York Brass Band or joining a Glastonbury wedding.

•I have had a few lovely Sunday mornings in the Crows nest as well, not too many people can be bothered to get up there at that time (I don’t do this on the muddy years),

Have a great last festival 😊

I like the sound of your itinerary 

• Thanks 1

If it was my last every Glastonbury, and heck, last year could've been my last for all I know, I would follow your heart with bands and stages. It's very easy to get swept away with friends and their plans. See the acts you really want to see even if they're playing on a tiny stage against a big draw. Don't go and see anyone you feel like you have to.

As for activities, it's really up to you. Big grand performance on the Pyramid would be worth it if there's one you want to see.

Only eat at your favourite food stalls (but equally time it so you're not queueing for an hour and wasting time).

Don't run around like you're missing out on something somewhere else. Saviour the moments even when walking between the sets, take in the surprises and the performances - whether its in the Theatre and Circus or walking through The Reach.

Buy a souvenir that you'll look back on. A poster, a tea-towel, a t-shirt, something physical that you'll actually get use out of.

Hit up your favourite places at least once. The sign on the hill, the SEC when it's not so busy, the Stone Circle on the first night. Relive in a way, but don't try to recreate, if that makes sense. You also don't want to chase past feelings...

Not sure if that's helpful or not, but that's what I would do. 

9 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Don't run around like you're missing out on something somewhere else. Saviour the moments even when walking between the sets, take in the surprises and the performances - whether its in the Theatre and Circus or walking through The Reach.

Very much this 🥰

For me - 

I'd probably pick one band per day to see and spend the rest of my time elsewhere.  

Wednesday first meal has to be at Permaculture - it's become a tradition.  

I'd try and do something I hadn't done before. I try to do this every year, and the last one would be no exception. 

I'd probably get my fortune read in the healing fields too.

My advice would be to try and take stock of the things that only happen at glastonbury and do those things.  

You will see bands elsewhere.  But meeting a new friend as the sun comes up at the stone circle can only happen there. Glasto is the only place where you're gonna be able to climb that ribbon tower, you know?

• Like 1