Campervan arrivals Wednesday

FidgetPiglet

Hi Everyone, 

First timer here this year. 
We have campervan ticket secured for East general. I know this opens on the Tuesday however the friends i'm going with are more keen to leave early Wednesday, it's still about a 2hr 30 drive. 

What are peoples experiences with turning up the next day for campervan fields? As it's tickets I am confident we'll still be okay but we will be much worse off arriving on Wednesday morning vs Tuesday afternoon? 

Any other tips & tricks for campervan east fields are welcome too - we have a good awning set up that should fill our space nicely. 

Thanks!

Used campervan fields for the first time last year, would strongly encourage arriving Tuesday if you can as it's a great atmosphere. Having said that though, I wouldn't have thought you will be horrendously worse off arriving Wednesday in terms of your walk to and from the fest.

• Like 1

If there’s any way you can I’d recommend arriving on Tuesday.  There’s a great atmosphere up there on Tuesday night, you’ll be ready to go on Wednesday and I’d say there’s a good chance arriving on weds will mean an extra 20 mins walking each way to and from the gate each time. 

• Like 1

Thoroughly agree with the 'Turn up Tuesday' recommendations.... I love Tuesdays in the CV fields. (Its a camping holiday with the most unbelievable anticipation - Tuesday night on the Hill is marvellous)

With regards to the parking, East General is filled up by E18, 17, 16, 15, 14.... So in effect you could turn up Tuesday evening and be parked in furthest east of E16 (long walk to Gate C) or turn up Thursday and park in furthest west of E14 (basically next to East Family and a short walk) see map and have a great festival (v jealous) :

Glastonbury-Webmap-2023_V1.5.png

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:21 PM, BlueDaze said:

Thoroughly agree with the 'Turn up Tuesday' recommendations.... I love Tuesdays in the CV fields. (Its a camping holiday with the most unbelievable anticipation - Tuesday night on the Hill is marvellous)

With regards to the parking, East General is filled up by E18, 17, 16, 15, 14.... So in effect you could turn up Tuesday evening and be parked in furthest east of E16 (long walk to Gate C) or turn up Thursday and park in furthest west of E14 (basically next to East Family and a short walk) see map and have a great festival (v jealous) :

Glastonbury-Webmap-2023_V1.5.png

The Hill on Tuesday? You can't get access into the main festival site can you on Tuesday?

23 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

The Hill on Tuesday? You can't get access into the main festival site can you on Tuesday?

Ah no… NOT the Glastonbury Sign hill above the Park…

I mean the Hill of Death (Slope of Mild Inconvenience) that takes you from PGC to the CamperVan fields(so outside the main fence)… it offers an excellent view over the site and is a gathering point for CV dwellers on Tuesday evening.. there is always a great buzz about the place.

36 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Ah no… NOT the Glastonbury Sign hill above the Park…

I mean the Hill of Death (Slope of Mild Inconvenience) that takes you from PGC to the CamperVan fields(so outside the main fence)… it offers an excellent view over the site and is a gathering point for CV dwellers on Tuesday evening.. there is always a great buzz about the place.

Ohhh really?!

Never knew that, stopped in Campervan last year but just chilled in the Van Thursday. 

Will head down there to the hill this year then. 

On 4/2/2024 at 10:41 AM, FidgetPiglet said:

Hi Everyone, 

First timer here this year. 
We have campervan ticket secured for East general. I know this opens on the Tuesday however the friends i'm going with are more keen to leave early Wednesday, it's still about a 2hr 30 drive. 

What are peoples experiences with turning up the next day for campervan fields? As it's tickets I am confident we'll still be okay but we will be much worse off arriving on Wednesday morning vs Tuesday afternoon? 

Any other tips & tricks for campervan east fields are welcome too - we have a good awning set up that should fill our space nicely. 

Thanks!

Tuesday is lovely for the atmosphere and sleeping off the drive if you did the slog, but I wouldn't worry too much in terms of distance. We arrived Wednesday midday and we were in E17 which must have been one of the furthest back fields. They fill in a horseshoe, so you can end up closer turning up after. Your advantage is traffic - which is much lighter Weds morning and afternoon. 

My tips would be - you aren't going to spend MUCH time at camp, that far off site, so do whatever it you need to do to maximise what having a van brings you. We went back once a day if that, because sometimes we'd traipse back to the van and decide to stay in and have an early night for an early start. 

If you want to go Tuesday, and you can pull it off, it IS great. There's a lovely atmosphere watching the sun set. You can see over site. You can get a decent sleep in before waking up and heading on site while everyone else is slogging their way in with bags. It's a very decent warm up! 

14 hours ago, irnkrtn said:

Tuesday is lovely for the atmosphere and sleeping off the drive if you did the slog, but I wouldn't worry too much in terms of distance. We arrived Wednesday midday and we were in E17 which must have been one of the furthest back fields. They fill in a horseshoe, so you can end up closer turning up after. Your advantage is traffic - which is much lighter Weds morning and afternoon. 

My tips would be - you aren't going to spend MUCH time at camp, that far off site, so do whatever it you need to do to maximise what having a van brings you. We went back once a day if that, because sometimes we'd traipse back to the van and decide to stay in and have an early night for an early start. 

If you want to go Tuesday, and you can pull it off, it IS great. There's a lovely atmosphere watching the sun set. You can see over site. You can get a decent sleep in before waking up and heading on site while everyone else is slogging their way in with bags. It's a very decent warm up! 

Can't emphasise enough, we'd spend 7am-10/11am at camp more or less and that was it once the main festival begins e.g. Wednesday. 

We never once went back to the van during the day, it was just too much of a hike there and back time wise. We'd just pack our entire rucksack for the day. 

47 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

We never once went back to the van during the day, it was just too much of a hike there and back time wise. We'd just pack our entire rucksack for the day. 

Same, wouldn't want to waste the time and energy during the day and would rather carry layers for later. 

I know others just leave a bag with their night clothes in an on site lock up, so they get the best of both worlds. 

4 hours ago, a.shep said:

We’ve got quiet east, never been in the campervan before. Thinking of arriving Tuesday night about 10pm. How quickly does the quiet campsite fill up?

Only from experience - very quickly but you're already a big walk away if you're closest to the front of the campervan area.

Being at the back probably adds 10 minutes walking, so I wouldn't worry too much.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a.shep said:

We’ve got quiet east, never been in the campervan before. Thinking of arriving Tuesday night about 10pm. How quickly does the quiet campsite fill up?

This will give you a better idea ☺️

Screenshot_20240409-205245.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Neil said:

Those fields are managed?

Was so impressed with the campervan fields personally. 

The stewards make sure everyone has plenty of room, it was kept incredibly tidy by the patrons too suprisingly.

59 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

Yes who do you think parks them all up, the parking fairies? 

Sewards who appear to work 

Randomly.

6 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Stewards who have a Team Leader, Managers, Shift Managers and then overall Campervan Manager overseeing the whole lot. 

if it was visibly well-managed the manager wouldn't have to be putting out documents to show that it works to a plan.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

if it was visibly well-managed the manager wouldn't have to be putting out documents to show that it works to a plan.

What documents have been put out Neil? 

Not even sure what your actual point is here, are you having another episode? 

Edited by Paul ™