Glastonbury and medical conditions

Crazyfool01

So I’ve got type 1 diabetes and yesterday over lunch we were chatting about setting up a thread to help people with medical conditions get the best out of the festival . So for me my advice is to use the lockups to store some spare equipment and to buy some frio wallets from Amazon which will help to keep insulin cold . Any type 1 advice I’ll be more than happy to give advice 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I have used the Accessible Facilities since 2011, you will need to register with the Accessible Team to do this - further information on registering can be found here - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/

New this year (proof of your disability is required) you also have to register with Nimbus and obtain either a Nimbus Card - £15 for 3 years or a Nimbus Glastonbury Pass which is free. further information can be found here - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/registering-to-use-the-accessible-facilities-onsite/ 

***The deadline for Access Applications is the 30th April 2024, however I would recommend people submitted these earlier to avoid missing out on facilities.

And a reminder that the access facilities are not for people with temporary impairments such as broken bones, healing wounds or woman who are pregnant.

Unfortunately, the Festival cannot offer closer parking, reserve camping or assistance getting on/ off and around the site to people with temporary impairments.

Happy to answer any questions about the facilities offered, Spring Ground campsite or East Accessible Campervan Area as I have stayed in both. I have also volunteered in the Accessible Marquee with Oxfam Festival Stewards. 😊

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I have used the Accessible Facilities since 2011, you will need to register with the Accessible Team to do this - further information on registering can be found here - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/

New this year (proof of your disability is required) you also have to register with Nimbus and obtain either a Nimbus Card - £15 for 3 years or a Nimbus Glastonbury Pass which is free. further information can be found here - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/registering-to-use-the-accessible-facilities-onsite/ 

***The deadline for Access Applications is the 30th April 2024, however I would recommend people submitted these earlier to avoid missing out on facilities.

And a reminder that the access facilities are not for people with temporary impairments such as broken bones, healing wounds or woman who are pregnant.

Unfortunately, the Festival cannot offer closer parking, reserve camping or assistance getting on/ off and around the site to people with temporary impairments.

Happy to answer any questions about the facilities offered, Spring Ground campsite or East Accessible Campervan Area as I have stayed in both. I have also volunteered in the Accessible Marquee with Oxfam Festival Stewards. 😊

The Nimbus application is really easy and quick.

Once I got that filling in the festival stuff did not take long and a reply with what I qualified for came quickly.

I hope not to need any help or facilities but it great to know they are there if I do....................... and I know that people and security will also help should I get an attack - I have Meniere's Disease so to most might just look like I have drunk far too much despite not drinking.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

and I know that people and security will also help should I get an attack - I have Meniere's Disease so to most might just look like I have drunk far too much despite not drinking.

Snap - I have Menieres Disease too! My most embarrassing attack was at Beautiful Days, 30 minutes into my first volunteering steward shift at the festival. Full on vertigo attack, vomiting in the grass with the audience growing by the minute. I can laugh about it now but at the time I was mortified. 😂 I have also ended up in the welfare tent at Glastonbury when I became totally overwhelmed and thought an attack was imminent but thankfully this helped reduce the symptoms after a couple of hours resting on a bed in there. 

6 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Snap - I have Menieres Disease too! My most embarrassing attack was at Beautiful Days, 30 minutes into my first volunteering steward shift at the festival. Full on vertigo attack, vomiting in the grass with the audience growing by the minute. I can laugh about it now but at the time I was mortified. 😂 I have also ended up in the welfare tent at Glastonbury when I became totally overwhelmed and thought an attack was imminent but thankfully this helped reduce the symptoms after a couple of hours resting on a bed in there. 

Thankfully all bar 2 of my bad attacks have happened overnight so when in bed, though getting to the loo is 'interesting'.

I am not surprised you were mortified either and when I have an attack at a festival I know people will just think I am drunk - I am sure a glare from the wife will soon make them realise it is not that - the wife's glares are scary.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Thankfully all bar 2 of my bad attacks have happened overnight so when in bed, though getting to the loo is 'interesting'.

I am not surprised you were mortified either and when I have an attack at a festival I know people will just think I am drunk - I am sure a glare from the wife will soon make them realise it is not that - the wife's glares are scary.

Mine tend to be in the morning so I try and plan to start my day later then most to avoid needing to cancel appointments etc. My husband does a good glare too! 😂

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

A help and advice thread for people to get the best out of Glastonbury festival with medical conditions . 

Just a thought, could you add Accessible to the title or tags? Make it easier to find for people searching. 👍🏻

if you think you need the medical tent,  set off early it might be on the opposite side of the site, and there might be a long wait to be seen  when you get there.

in 30 glastonbury's I've only needed the medical tent a couple of times and I've been impressed with what they do. thanks people!

Having read the experiences of fellow menieres types I wanted to add that I was terrified of having an attack at Glastonbury with all the loud noises and people. But I was so relaxed the whole week it never came close. But I did always make sure i knew the closest toilets, quiet tents, welfare etc.

26 minutes ago, Rob_w said:

Having read the experiences of fellow menieres types I wanted to add that I was terrified of having an attack at Glastonbury with all the loud noises and people. But I was so relaxed the whole week it never came close. But I did always make sure i knew the closest toilets, quiet tents, welfare etc.

Hello new member and fellow Ménière's disease sufferer - welcome to efestivals! The only times I've actually have had attacks at Glastonbury were brought on by the stress piled on me by the charity I was volunteering for. I would live there permanently if I could! Have you got a ticket for this year?

20 hours ago, westholtschic said:

On behalf of FMS we hope you enjoy the festival and be safe in the knowledge that we are there to help you if you are in trouble.

would be interested in some Stats that relate to Glastonbury if theres any to hand ? number of people treated etc 

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

would be interested in some Stats that relate to Glastonbury if theres any to hand ? number of people treated etc 

i've seen those sorts of stats before, i reckon FMS would have that detail.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:59 PM, StoneCircle said:

Thanks for Sharing Its grand that you are Posting on here. Proof of Disability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

Thanks for Sharing Its grand that you are Posting on here. Proof of Disability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are more than welcome, shout out if you need any help or have any questions. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Whilst the ‘Balance Payment email’ thread is quite depressing… (for the ticketless amongst us)

this thread is always the most heartwarming… offering advice and support to help others enjoy their Glastonbury..

You are all the very best of e-festivals.!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

any tips for festivals with dyslexia?? Im forever turning up to places at the wrong time for sets. i find the timings so confusing.

I think you can get notifications from the official app to remind you when something's on. I haven't used them, but could be easier than trying to read the set times

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

any tips for festivals with dyslexia?? Im forever turning up to places at the wrong time for sets. i find the timings so confusing.

this is exctly what the stewards around the fsatival would love to help with - they'll all have the info and how best to get there  . the stewards are there to help you

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:00 PM, Neil said:

if you think you need the medical tent,  set off early it might be on the opposite side of the site, and there might be a long wait to be seen  when you get there.

in 30 glastonbury's I've only needed the medical tent a couple of times and I've been impressed with what they do. thanks people!

The tent is way up the hill and there is always a queue when I pass by, Gets bigger as the fest goes on.

56 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

The tent is way up the hill and there is always a queue when I pass by, Gets bigger as the fest goes on.

it was far enough away to flatten my mobility scooter battery last year, it meant i didn't have enough battery  power to go out on Saturday night 😞 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Simsy said:

I think you can get notifications from the official app to remind you when something's on. I haven't used them, but could be easier than trying to read the set times

yeah, thats a good idea. probably something I could set up in advance with a bit of patience.