International Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Netanyahu running out of allies in Democrats.

when have Israel ever bowed to foreign pressure??

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

seems like macron is thinking about a military defeat of russia, can't see that happening, i reckon the war finishes in another way.

10 hours ago, Neil said:

good on chumbawamba for still caring! 🙂 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-68606669

Winston Peters was doing the crazy populist thing for years before it became fashionable again everywhere else. He was a major irritant when I lived there 15 years and had been for years before. Probably helped by the fact not much happens in NZ and he's always good for a story.

8 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Farage interviewing tRump!

OMFGG. 

and then some journalist says tRump would be great as he is 'a nutter' as so other leaders would be scared as they would not know what he will do.

Yeh, cos nutters have a great track record of not causing huge problems.

One of my friends watched this and said you could see in Farage's face that he thought Trump was far too nutty and right-wing.

I'm taking his word for it, but if so... wow.

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

the USA have not blocked attempts to achieving a truce., cos how have the blocked Hamas or the Israeli's from putting down their weapons.

only two parties can achieve that truce!  people who say otherwise want to divert the responsibility for what is happening.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

the USA have not blocked attempts to achieving a truce., cos how have the blocked Hamas or the Israeli's from putting down their weapons.

only two parties can achieve that truce!  people who say otherwise want to divert the responsibility for what is happening.

yes, but those two sides want to destroy the other.

Anyway, this is a signal from US. Previously they have vetoed any UN ceasefire votes...but now they have their own. Soon enough Israel will be isolated...but as NobodyInteresting says the main thing will be arms supplies, because then it starts to become existential for Israel (although they have plenty of their own arms which everyone seems to forget, big export market for them too).

Anyway, as I keep saying..there needs to be an intervention...to preserve borders and rebuild Gaza and provide security. This can't carry on like this. Israeli leadership needs to change, as does Palestinian leadership...there needs to be a whole load of compromises that both sides won't like...and then go from there.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

es, but those two sides want to destroy the other.

yes, they want that more than either wants a ceasefire

wonder if several generations of men will now sue the govt for the 5 years less pension they got, i think every male since the equal opportunities act (late 70s i think?) would have a case