UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Whilst I agree if people were held to account in the Tory party they wouldn’t have a majority any longer … wasn’t this before rayner became an mp ? How much digging is acceptable ? Do MPs need to have a completely clean past .. might struggle to get any at that rate . Newspapers are going to dig and dig at Labour now hoping to get some dirt . Whilst the Tory party escape scruitiny This wragg stuff should be getting far more attention … who else is involved ? Who’s the blackmailer ? What else has been conceded to them . We need to proper journalists who are prepared to hold all to account 

If you are likely to become Deputy PM then there is always, and should be , huge scrutiny of your past and present otherwise people like tRump might end up in charge more and more.

As I said, if she has advice that it is legal then simply publish it and the matter should be closed. If that advice is then found to be wro ng then simply pay the money and sue your advisor.

It is the refusal to say anything or do anything that is all too familiar - it is what the Tories have ben doing for years and when/if Labour get into power then they should know what level of scrutiny comes with it and be ready and prepared to deal with it quickly and efficiently with total honesty and openness - else the electorate will soon realise they are no different to 'the other lot'.

Of course the Wragg stuff should get more attention - I posted the other day about Hunt's response on this very thread and pretty sure not a single bit of engagement happened on that post while 'discussions' happened about other far more trival stuff

53 minutes ago, lazyred said:

So the Tores have been investigated  then. Raynor could have used the honest mistake defence but she decided to lie instead. Lammys defence this morning is that different standards apply to govt and opposition mps

we don't know she actually lied yet?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah we don’t, the Police have looked into and seem to think there’s nothing wrong as have HMRC. But the Daily Mail have PROOF which isn’t actually any proof at all. 

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

So the Tores have been investigated  then. Raynor could have used the honest mistake defence but she decided to lie instead. Lammys defence this morning is that different standards apply to govt and opposition mps

And f**k all done as it gets swept aside for the next incoming scandal . It’s endless with them 

This is one of the more sensible reports on the whole Raynor thing, and shows how easily she could (and perhaps should) have shut the whole thing down:

"anyone with something to hide will hide it, and all we’ll see are prurient details of their financial affairs, plus the occasional accident/mistake. But now the story is out, it would be sensible for Ms Rayner to speak to a tax adviser and work out what her CGT position in 2015 actually was. If it turns out she failed to pay a small amount of CGT, I think most people would understand that as a mistake – but it’s a mistake she can and should explain and correct."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I agree that’s plenty … but that needs to mean the Tory’s do the same and they won’t . Maybe Starmer can use it as we and mps are accountable moment in sacking her 

Would make the party even more electable.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Lied about where she lived not about the tax. it might be true but its unlikely a person gets married then lives with her brother while her new husband lives with her own child and their other children for 5 years. The tax mistake is thinking I own one house, my brother lives there rent free so no tax to pay. Easily excused, apologise and move on. Why lie? Its just the arrogance of thinking scrutiny and accountability don't apply because I'm on the left.

Edited by lazyred
typo

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

hope they don't get rid of Rayner. She is the one leading the way with this workers rights new deal thingy...need her in the cabinet fighting that cause if Reeves or anyone tries to water it down.

I agree with this as well, I just hope it's sorted quickly with an apology.

20 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

daily f**king mail 😞 ... do they really  need to PUT PROOF IN CAPITALS   ? this over 1.5 k or something ridiculous when the Torys are breaking the country with dodgy contracts left right and centre 

if she did what they are suggesting then its exceedingly likely that every tory mp who ever owned a second property did that exact thing to avoid the tax, cos its well known that  you avoid the tax that way. 

18 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The Daily Mail haven’t exactly got any proof at all, have they?

correct, but its getting to the point where it'd almost be worth paying £3,500 to the taxman to make this story go away.

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

thats much better for the greens than other polls have been saying  - maybe they've found the green surge!

3 hours ago, lazyred said:

Lied about where she lived not about the tax. it might be true but its unlikely a person gets married then lives with her brother while her new husband lives with her own child and their other children for 5 years. The tax mistake is thinking I own one house, my brother lives there rent free so no tax to pay. Easily excused, apologise and move on. Why lie? Its just the arrogance of thinking scrutiny and accountability don't apply because I'm on the left.

its pretty standard to claim you've lived in a second house  to avoid the tax, so she probably lied to save herself the tax money, and possibly because she'd been taking rent money and is worried hmrc might dig deeper and spot  what she hadn't declared.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

think issue is if she lied about it.

they would then go big on how she was a hypocrite about tax avoidance.

reason they're going so hard on her with this is that they know everyone claims to have lived in it to avoid the tax.

Because everyone does it, they believe she must have done it too.

4 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

This is one of the more sensible reports on the whole Raynor thing, and shows how easily she could (and perhaps should) have shut the whole thing down:

"anyone with something to hide will hide it, and all we’ll see are prurient details of their financial affairs, plus the occasional accident/mistake. But now the story is out, it would be sensible for Ms Rayner to speak to a tax adviser and work out what her CGT position in 2015 actually was. If it turns out she failed to pay a small amount of CGT, I think most people would understand that as a mistake – but it’s a mistake she can and should explain and correct."

probably wasn't a mistake was probably tax avoidance, cos its likely everything from the house sale was spent on another house purchase (meaning there was nothing left over to pay the taxman with.- cos that's what people do with houses. dauily mail goping at it cos its a well known tax fiddle and not an overly complicated one, so everyone understands about it.

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

so like he says at this point she probably needs to be more transparent, see a tax advisor and pay any tax owed and tell the world. But he said that back in Feb, and instead she has doubled down...and the Mail are not letting this go.

5 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

So you agree that she needs to get it looked at and if needed say sorry and pay the tax?

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah we don’t, the Police have looked into and seem to think there’s nothing wrong as have HMRC. But the Daily Mail have PROOF which isn’t actually any proof at all. 

But maybe good enough for you if it was a Tory minister?

Just curious - not having a go.

Rayner doesn't have to publish any tax advice right? She can just say she didn't do anything wrong and the daily c**t or whatever they're called can continue to lose their sh*t because they can't stand her...gobby working class northern woman with a troubled up bringing who is breaking the mould and set to become one of the most important people in the country and they seem to think is vulnerable in their sh*tty little misogynist snobby world...but even if she does publish and ends up owing a few thousand let's dig further into Ashdown's and other Tory/Mail cronies and see what they've been up to the rich shitbags.

Long Live Angela Rayner.

Angela Rayner admits to 'raving' in Spain, drink and vaping addiction

• Like 1