UK Politics

kalifire

7 minutes ago, lost said:

Can't see him expanding beyond the mill towns of Lancashire and Yorkshire.

Agreed, sorry, I wasn't clear enough, wasn't expecting GG to field nationally.

But Starmer was relying on recovering labour seats lost up North in the last GE. If Galloway gets his act together (and it's a big if) it could prove tricky for labour.

Lots of 'ifs' though and if the polls don't tighten and if SNP continue to implode and if reform split the tory vote down south etc etc then it should still be plain sailing for labour.

In the months ahead it'll be interesting to see if GG gets much media time. If he does then he'll be a thorn in Starmer's side. The polls show voters aren't over the moon about Starmer and GG will be very articulate in amplifying that at every opportunity.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

If Labour had done their due diligence and stood a candidate then they’d have taken the seat easily. This isn’t a crises for Labour at all. 

I wonder how many similar recordings of labour neetings are out there. Whoever leaked this waited until the right moment

24 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

But Starmer was relying on recovering labour seats lost up North in the last GE. If Galloway gets his act together (and it's a big if) it could prove tricky for labour.

Lots of 'ifs' though and if the polls don't tighten and if SNP continue to implode and if reform split the tory vote down south etc etc then it should still be plain sailing for labour.

SNP probably think they can make similar gains from grievances over Gaza.

22 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

In the months ahead it'll be interesting to see if GG gets much media time. If he does then he'll be a thorn in Starmer's side. The polls show voters aren't over the moon about Starmer and GG will be very articulate in amplifying that at every opportunity.

He isn't doing any media today..it's all that Chris Williamson bloke.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

SNP probably think they can make similar gains from grievances over Gaza.

sectarianism in scottish politics has been going on alot longer than down here. Those people are probably already voting SNP.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Heard him on R4 this morning, dear god he was insufferable. I get that it's annoying when the interviewer keeps trying to trap you with 'gotcha' style questions, but if your answer is to keep raising your voice and repeatedly talk over the other person then you just come across as unhinged.

3 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Heard him on R4 this morning, dear god he was insufferable. I get that it's annoying when the interviewer keeps trying to trap you with 'gotcha' style questions, but if your answer is to keep raising your voice and repeatedly talk over the other person then you just come across as unhinged.

He was on Radio 5 with Ben Habib...both shouting at each other. Had to switch it off.

,,,and sorry to offend...but they love to bring up the word genocide endlessly ..knowing what this means to Jews with the holocaust etc...and maybe it is genocide, but it isn't officially, and the whole genocide accusation isn't straight forward...but then Williamson goes on to say that what China has been doing to Ughyers is made up etc....

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He was on Radio 5 with Ben Habib...both shouting at each other. Had to switch it off.

...and this is what ends up filling the void when the two parties in a FPTP system end up with a rizla paper difference between them in promised outcomes for the majority of the country.

It's going to be a very SHOUTY election campaign.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Galloway won’t retain the seat at the general election. He’s a vile human being and stands virtually no chance of retaining the seat.

If Labour had done their due diligence and stood a candidate then they’d have taken the seat easily. This isn’t a crises for Labour at all. 

Would they? The result suggests maybe not, you thought people would still vote for Ali because he had the Labour name and he would still win, you were totally wrong there, a local independent who only decided to run 4 weeks ago got nearly 3 times as many votes. Will be funny if Galloway wins again. He clearly hates Starmer and is going to take shots at him every chance he gets.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Another ex Labour guy. Maybe all the rejected Labour members should join a new party called Ex-Labour, a bit like when bands split up into different camps and you get 2 versions of the same band.

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

I wonder how many similar recordings of labour neetings are out there. Whoever leaked this waited until the right moment

There’s maybe a few but this highlights why it’s so important Labour do their due diligence and get the right candidate in place rather than rush it like they did in Rochdale. They need to be sure come the general election that every candidate is a solid one and not a nut job like Ali.

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Just what I said last night,

12 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Looks like you got your wish, Galloway thinks he's won comfortably, Independent David Tully has also done well so people have rejected the main parties. Starmer has dodged a bullet IMO, if he hadn't sacked Ali and they had lost to Galloway that would have been a real embarrassment, now he can just dismiss it as an irrelevant result since Labour didn't have a candidate.

3 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

at thege people won't be voting for mps they'll be voting for a govt, and no one is going to think gg might form the govt.

also  whats the point of a pro-gaza mp, cos they can't influence anything happening there

voting for gg in a by election  to make a point  doesn't work in a general election.

38 minutes ago, Neil said:

at thege people won't be voting for mps they'll be voting for a govt, and no one is going to think gg might form the govt.

also  whats the point of a pro-gaza mp, cos they can't influence anything happening there

voting for gg in a by election  to make a point  doesn't work in a general election.

Disagree. There is a febrile atmosphere of 'a plague on both your houses'. At a GE that translates into a choice of:

• a) don't turn up to vote
  • b) spoil your ballot
  • c) hold your nose and vote for the least worse
  • d) vote for an mp on local issues
  • e) vote for someone that will 'send a message to the WM elite'.

I'd argue the anger and disatisfaction that left us with the brexit mess is still simmering away and starmer's policies (careful, prudent, we need to be sensible, steady as you go, it's all the tories fault, we'll fix the mess eventually, you'll have to wait for a second term before we do anything radical) along with his perceived out of touch 'Islington elite' persona is more likely to result in people doing e) than c).

I'd also argue that a large section of voters for GG yesterday were NOT voting 100% on Gaza but voting to send GG on his way to WM to bring down the 'crony system' where, and I quote, "Starmer and Sunak are different sides of the same arse". His rhetoric resonates with people who've given up on politics making a difference. It's lazy populism straight from the Trump playbook, but it can be brutally, and depressingly, effective.

14 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Disagree. There is a febrile atmosphere of 'a plague on both your houses'. At a GE that translates into a choice of:

• b) spoil your ballot

I'd argue the anger and disatisfaction that left us with the brexit mess is still simmering away and starmer's policies (careful, prudent, we need to be sensible, steady as you go, it's all the tories fault, we'll fix the mess eventually, you'll have to wait for a second term before we do anything radical) along with his perceived out of touch 'Islington elite' persona is more likely to result in people doing e) than c).

I'd also argue that a large section of voters for GG yesterday were NOT voting 100% on Gaza but voting to send GG on his way to WM to bring down the 'crony system' where, and I quote, "Starmer and Sunak are different sides of the same arse". His rhetoric resonates with people who've given up on politics making a difference. It's lazy populism straight from the Trump playbook, but it can be brutally, and depressingly, effective.

or.....Labour weren't actually campaigning there, Tories couldn't be arsed with it...and maybe better to look at other recent by-elections for what might happen in a general election. 

14 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

• b) spoil your ballot

I agree with your first part but every vote is for the least objectionable cos no one is sheep enough to agree with every part of a candidates platform.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

or.....Labour weren't actually campaigning there, Tories couldn't be arsed with it...and maybe better to look at other recent by-elections for what might happen in a general election. 

A vote at a general election is a different vote  to a vote at a by election, what is being created by that vote is a very different thing so it's a different consideration.