UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Rachel Reeves says no return to austerity and no increases in income tax or national insurance under Labour.

Look forward to their spending review.

Land tax reform plz

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Just watched BBC news and they had vox pop thing at radio 1 big weekend and they seemed kind of in favour of the national service thing. Kids today, I don't know.

It's easier than planning their own Gap year.

I told my kid a while back that if anything like this cropped up to emigrate asap. I suggested Canada as he did six months of his uni there. But he's not keen on Canada for some reason.

10 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Tbf this is just repackaged big society stuff. Its been spun to sound more right wing than it is because its got the military element and the name ’National service’ but without that - if it were just the other part ie mandatory community service for 16-18 yo’s - this could easily be a Cameroon/Starmese soft tory policy.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Now they are suggesting they could fine parents if their children decline to take up this national service thing.

That's cos it is  a pathetic policy by a pathetic and desperate party and one I can see them scrapping during the campaign it is that badly thought out.

Everyone getting ready for world war 3, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, France and now the UK:

French President Emmanuel Macron implemented Universal National Service in 2021. It is aimed at all 15 to 17-year-olds and seeks to encourage young French citizens to "develop their role in society" and promote social cohesion

Edited by lost

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe just spend more on the actual army, instead of making kids do some volunteering.

But aren't highly trained and drilled regular troops dead scared of a teenager who has had 12 weekends doing national service?