UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The only way to stop 75% of people who are willing to risk their lives by making these journeys is to give them a decent place to live, in safety, without persecution and with prospects for a future

They would get this in Rawanda. They want to live in Europe or USA for migrants in the Americas. I can't blame them  for that but it's not possible. Instant removal to a third country in Africa will definitely deter people. At the moment they know it isn't happening.

28 minutes ago, lazyred said:

They would get this in Rawanda. They want to live in Europe or USA for migrants in the Americas. I can't blame them  for that but it's not possible. Instant removal to a third country in Africa will definitely deter people. At the moment they know it isn't happening.

To have 'Instant Removal' you need to leave the ECHR and likely leave the UN too.

Are you willing to have both of those happen?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Failed asylum seekers aren't sent to Rwanda under Tory plan, they are sent before asylum processed and they get asylum in Rwanda. Think I got that right. So I assume Labour's is same as current plan for those whose asylum application fails...they are returned (in theory, in practice they also stay and get legal advice and reapply or disappear).

lots cant be returned because they never admit which country they originated from. those people are stuck in a legal limbo.

Edited by Neil

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

To have 'Instant Removal' you need to leave the ECHR and likely leave the UN too.

Are you willing to have both of those happen?

I don't want to leave the ECHR or the UN. Anyway the legal arguments against Rwanda were based on other International Laws as well as ECHR. I also think the Govt should follow Supreme Court judgements and the recent Bill declaring Rwanda safe is nonsense.

However the judgement was not about the safety of being in Rwanda. It was the risk of Rwanda sending people on  to dangerous countries. The Supreme Court agreed that this risk can be overcome. If not Rwanda it will be some other country or like the EU we will pay other countries to keep migrants.

21 minutes ago, lazyred said:

I don't want to leave the ECHR or the UN. Anyway the legal arguments against Rwanda were based on other International Laws as well as ECHR. I also think the Govt should follow Supreme Court judgements and the recent Bill declaring Rwanda safe is nonsense.

However the judgement was not about the safety of being in Rwanda. It was the risk of Rwanda sending people on  to dangerous countries. The Supreme Court agreed that this risk can be overcome. If not Rwanda it will be some other country or like the EU we will pay other countries to keep migrants.

would have been better for labour if the tory immigration solution was in place and already happening, cos then they'd have little reason to say much about it and it mostly goes away as a political problem.

(for labour it remains a problem without a solution, exactly what its been for the tories).

So much for a Hung parliament, tories expect to lose seats that have a majority of over 17k.

That'll be a wipeout 

why does she love the Tories so much? 

I’m not giving her a click, can’t be assed to read her bullshit! 

I was hoping that I might see those its grim up north-ern lights tonight but all I can see are the lights from the motorway.

here's some good reasons why pip needs reforming to remove mental illness as qualifying criteria.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/may/12/claims-conditions-personal-independence-payments-disability-benefits-cancer-arthritis-amputees

of course the govt could just administer the system a bit better or give it more money......

seems like andy street is the tories new william hague, (almost) the cool kid in the baseball cap who will connect (they hope) with the next generation of voters

4 hours ago, Neil said:

seems like andy street is the tories new william hague, (almost) the cool kid in the baseball cap who will connect (they hope) with the next generation of voters

I think that's the direction they should go...and not the crazy populist anti everything mob. But Street isn't an MP yet...so I think it will likely be Mordaunt/Cleverly/Tugenhadt vs Badenoch/Patel/Braverman...

Who's it going to be...? Presumably on Weds performative crossing the floor again.

From the thread, Alok Sharma and Ben Wallace seem feasible suggestions

Screenshot_20240513-023345.png

Edited by sheffinghell

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

But Street isn't an MP yet.

he's being encouraged to become one, incl. offers of support to be leader.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Angela Rayner is to be interviewed under caution by police apparently.

that'll be enough for the mail to claim everything has been reasonable.

Scary...had better stick with Rishi then.

I have just listened to Sunak at his press conference.

I would have more faith in a drunk blind slug.

He rambles on not pausing for breath nor seeming to have any end to a sentence and somehow goes in half a dozen words from tRump to the UK having excellent reading skills.

He mons that Labour are 'not doing anything' - which any intelligent person would know is because they are not in government.

He really is quite out of his depth.

Make sure you slap on the lotion folks.

Sir Chris Bryant: Senior Labour MP reveals skin cancer found in his lung

The Rhondda MP previously had a melanoma cut out of his head, and warned about the risks of sunbathing after having skin cancer removed from his lung.

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-chris-bryant-senior-labour-mp-reveals-skin-cancer-found-in-his-lung-13135059

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Make sure you slap on the lotion folks.

Sir Chris Bryant: Senior Labour MP reveals skin cancer found in his lung

The Rhondda MP previously had a melanoma cut out of his head, and warned about the risks of sunbathing after having skin cancer removed from his lung.

https://news.sky.com/story/sir-chris-bryant-senior-labour-mp-reveals-skin-cancer-found-in-his-lung-13135059

NOT CAUSED BY SUNBATHING OBVIOUSLY.