Top 10 Gigs of 2023

Gnomicide

On 1/4/2024 at 11:49 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

Totally with you on your number one choice. James orchestral (mine at brighton ) utterly outstanding and potentially my gig of a decade for being utterly captivating 

It was mesmerising. Possibly it helped make it, but the "no cameras apart from in one song" rule also means there isn't a lot of decent footage of the shows about. Hopefully they'll record one of the shows one day.

1. Limp Bizkit - Halifax Piece Hall

2. Prodigy - Leeds Arena

3. Depeche Mode - Twickenham Stadium

4. Blood Red Shoes - Manchester Star and Garter

5. Morrissey - Leeds Millenium Square

6. Pulp - Sheffield Arena

7. Iron Maiden - Leeds Arena

8. Lamb of God - Manchester Academy

9. Belle and Sebastian - Manchester Academy

10. Priest - Budapest Barba Negra

For those of you struggling to remember what shows you went to... keep a list. I put an excel sheet together in 2020 for gigs I'd been to dating back to 2002. Currently on 732 individual sets and 424 bands seen at tender age of 38.

Edited by moz4pm

- The National (1st night at Ally Pally - what a band!)

- The National (2nd night at Ally Pally - only in my dreams! - v jealous of those who saw both nights and 2 different sets)

- Gaz Coombes (Cambridge Junction)

- Sylvan Esso (Electric Brixton)

- Self Esteem (Cambridge Corn Exchange)

- October Drift (Met Lounge Peterboro') 

Festivals :

Bearded Theory : Oh My God! Its The Church, Public Service Broadcasting, The Beths

Glastonbury : Ailbhe Reddy, Cat Stevens, Reg

Well I only went to 7 gigs so I can't quite do a top 3. All were rather good tbf.

Muse at MK Bowl was probably my favourite, if only for the novelty of my favourite band playing my actual hometown. Queens of the Stone Age in Stockton was runner-up, partly because Song for the Dead was marvellously meaty, but also because of the amusing story that at one point I genuinely got shamed by Josh Homme for not dancing and thought that was hilarious (as was also the fact he got my name wrong and said I'm called Paul).

Pulp at Finsbury was great but I felt it should've been louder. The Japanese House in Oxford was also just such a lovely evening.

Edited by charlierc

3 hours ago, moz4pm said:

For those of you struggling to remember what shows you went to... keep a list. I put an excel sheet together in 2020 for gigs I'd been to dating back to 2002. Currently on 732 individual sets and 424 bands seen at tender age of 38.

Good for you! Maybe you’ll get to be as crazy as me, mine dates back to the early 70s with 2089 live performances over 50 years (Luckily I kept my gig tickets).

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Good for you! Maybe you’ll get to be as crazy as me, mine dates back to the early 70s with 2089 live performances over 50 years (Luckily I kept my gig tickets).

I need to do my list before some of the tickets from the 90s fade completely and I can't read what they were. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Thats amazing. My first show on the list was Garth Brooks in 94 as a child but my adult gigs started in 2002. Immediate goal is to hit 1000 within the next 4 years. If I keep up my current level of gig attendance i'll hit 2000 sometime between the ages of 55-60. I used a combination of gig tickets, festival posters, setlist.com and social media posts to compile my list. Took a lot of time but its great to be able to look back on and it jogs your memory so you don't forget the shows.

Edited by moz4pm
  • Upvote 1

Top 10 this year - very difficult to chose from

1.  Flying Lotus - London, here at outernet

2. Denzel Curry - London, Earth

3. Sticky Fingers - Bali, Indonesia

4. Bicep - Sydney, Aus

5. Four Tet - London, Ally Pally

6. Sampha - London, Hackney Church (x2)

7. Roger Waters - London, Palladium 

8. Killer Mike - St Johns Church, Kingston

9. Turnstile - Auckland, NZ

10. Red hot chilis - Auckland, NZ

Special mentions to Fred Again, Aphex Twin, Prodigy & Madonna who could all be in the top 

8 hours ago, moz4pm said:

Impressive.

I mean, tbf, I use setlist.fm for similar purposes going back to my first show in 2009, though this is incomplete thanks to not being as fresh on local smaller stuff when I was a teenager. Excel feels more formal and probably more accurate though.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Impressive.

I mean, tbf, I use setlist.fm for similar purposes going back to my first show in 2009, though this is incomplete thanks to not being as fresh on local smaller stuff when I was a teenager. Excel feels more formal and probably more accurate though.

I spent many years not even thinking of using setlist and added a bunch of stuff recently, was delighted that there were things I attended all the way back to the mid 80s...got masses to fill in still though before the remainder of my grey cells fade.