SZA

gherkin8r

10 hours ago, Porcelina said:

I mean, she has the 8th most listened to album in the UK on Spotify this week, despite it being over a year old, and has been hanging around these charts consistently for months. Not to mention Kill Bill was absolutely huge on TikTok/Reels.

image.png.4fd49a355f144ba83dcb5d178d9b389e.png

I feel somewhat responsible for that last week

12 hours ago, bobsacamano said:

f**king hell that's a depressing list. It's all essentially just entertainment rather than music.

It has it's place but I wish it wasn't Glastonbury. The greatest festival in the world should strive to be better than that.

Who should be booked instead?

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hopefully Noah Kahan is just a one hit wonder mind.

Besides Stick Season, he's had one other Top 10 single and three other Top 40s - so he already isn't.

His numbers are crazy really, especially considering that the album didn't chart anywhere when it first released. Whatever he releases next will be massive I think, whenever that is.

Edited by WhoOdyssey

How do you pronounce Noah Kahan? I only ask so I can use the following gag until people want to kill me, and if Kahan isn't pronounced carn, I'm knackered. Anyway...

Are you playing Glastonbury?

Noah Kahan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, american idiot said:

Everyone in here putting down massive modern acts while hyping up an old white man band like Blur who haven't been able to churn out a hit in over 20 years will never not be hilarious to me.

If you mean a couple of posts up, that was clearly a joke.

I'm referring to the multiple people in the SZA thread talking about how Blur is the best act they've ever seen while simultaneously pretending the likes of Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Olivia Rodrigo, and potentially even SZA herself wouldn't be able to put on a significantly better show than Blur in the year 2024.

This is the SZA thread. If you want to discuss washed up bands you can go head down to your local pub.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, american idiot said:

I'm referring to the multiple people in the SZA thread talking about how Blur is the best act they've ever seen while simultaneously pretending the likes of Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Olivia Rodrigo, and potentially even SZA herself wouldn't be able to put on a significantly better show than Blur in the year 2024.

This is the SZA thread. If you want to discuss washed up bands you can go head down to your local pub.

Blur produced one of the best albums of last year and played 2 huge Wembley gigs, so yeah... not sure you can call Damon washed up, he's already moving onto Africa Express, Gorillaz & an Opera this year.

• Upvote 1

Off the back of some recommendations here, I watched some YouTube stuff of SZA's live concerts last night and I still don't feel it.  Big venues, yep.  Enthusiastic crowd, singing along, check.  But the music and the show itself were nothing to get excited about at all IMO.  She clearly appeals to many people, but I've done my deep dive now and I'm out.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

I think Beyonce maybe didn't hit quite right because arguably she's released most of her best work since she headlined? I feel like you could create a much more cohesive setlist now than back when it felt necessary to throw in Destiny's Child medleys.

My missus loved the Glastonbury gig but then saw her a few short weeks later in Ireland (@ oxygen I think) and was out off by her doing a lot of the same spiel verbatim on stage when talking to the crowd

From my perspective, it isn't about Blur vs SZA, it's about the festival taking a punt on an artist on the rise. Blur would put on a great show but they've done it before, and given how much grief Damon got from the Gorillaz show in 2010, I reckon they'll be wary of tarnishing the legacy of 2009. But they are definitely not washed up - they seem to have a great knack of appearing and disappearing at the right time to keep things fresh.

It is more about seeing how the festival positions itself for the future. As I've said before, I don't really get SZA (she's fine) but I think it's exactly the booking the festival needs right now. She might crash and burn, but plenty of people said the same thing about Stormzy in 2019 and he absolutely smashed it out of the farm.

Edited by foolsgold1981

2 hours ago, foolsgold1981 said:

From my perspective, it isn't about Blur vs SZA, it's about the festival taking a punt on an artist on the rise. Blur would put on a great show but they've done it before, and given how much grief Damon got from the Gorillaz show in 2010, I reckon they'll be wary of tarnishing the legacy of 2009. But they are definitely not washed up - they seem to have a great knack of appearing and disappearing at the right time to keep things fresh.

It is more about seeing how the festival positions itself for the future. As I've said before, I don't really get SZA (she's fine) but I think it's exactly the booking the festival needs right now. She might crash and burn, but plenty of people said the same thing about Stormzy in 2019 and he absolutely smashed it out of the farm.

You’re so right 

14 minutes ago, bobsacamano said:

Maybe I'm just peeved it doesn't look like Stevie is playing again. The double header Faithless followed by Mr Wonder is possibly my all time Pyramid high. Utter bliss.

Progressive soul fan, eh?

Then have I got just the artist that might interest you!

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, bobsacamano said:

Maybe I'm just peeved it doesn't look like Stevie is playing again. The double header Faithless followed by Mr Wonder is possibly my all time Pyramid high. Utter bliss.

Magical wasn't it.  The best close possible to what was probably my favourite ever Glasto weekend.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Magical wasn't it.  The best close possible to what was probably my favourite ever Glasto weekend.

Everything was perfect, all weekend. Then Faithless knocking it out of the park with that lovely early evening heat still on us and a spectacular sunset. Then Stevie delivers that performance. Watched it from the hill with some of my very best, oldest mates. Just so sweet.

Hey ho, I'll stop moaning about the young ones now. Their turn.

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Progressive soul fan, eh?

Then have I got just the artist that might interest you!

I've actually given it a listen and it's not bad, still struggle to see it as a headliner but I'll just be somewhere else, or on shift.