Jibbing?

LS-Charlton

5 minutes ago, tarw said:

Agreed but we are probably old farts hankering for the old days. The festival should be for people younger who have different needs and expectations 

Yes and no.

For example, the range of entertainment on offer is far better than it was "back in the day".

10 minutes ago, tarw said:

Although they didn’t make any more public camping available they did create Sticklinch which probably holds more than Pylon. There seems to be far more demand for pre-erected than general camping nowadays. 

Tents used are far bigger now than they used to be. I do the same. I used to bring a 2 man hiking ridge tent that took up 3.5 m2 my tent now is a f&b pop up that takes up 6.5m2. It’s still a small tent compared to a lot of people’s 

Just wondering what you're basing that on?  I've not noticed anything different with general campers.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Just wondering what you're basing that on?  I've not noticed anything different with general campers.

The fact that the festival has put on more pre-erected. They wouldn’t do that unless there was demand. 

Also on these ere boards 20 to 15 years ago there were very few posts about WV and most of those were against it. Now all posts are positive. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Yes and no.

For example, the range of entertainment on offer is far better than it was "back in the day".

I do miss the chatting and smoking around the fire but given the choice now I will get spangled and dance my tits off somewhere 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

The fact that the festival has put on more pre-erected. They wouldn’t do that unless there was demand. 

Also on these ere boards 20 to 15 years ago there were very few posts about WV and most of those were against it. Now all posts are positive. 

Interesting. Have individuals changed or has the general demographic changed?

I could help out with negative comments if you want.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Interesting. Have individuals changed or has the general demographic changed?

I could help out with negative comments if you want.

Isn't some of it just that it is now offered, whereas it wasn't before. I reckon lots of people have always hated putting up a tent, so the option not to do it themselves appeals.

5 minutes ago, tarw said:

The general campers are still there though.  

Worthy View was previously unofficial pre-erected camping, so no change.  I think they added Sticklinch because demand for WV was high and always sold out.   The vast majority of people are in general camping. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

The general campers are still there though.  

Worthy View was previously unofficial pre-erected camping, so no change.  I think they added Sticklinch because demand for WV was high and always sold out.   The vast majority of people are in general camping. 

There are still the majority in general but the proportion is changing. Campervans moved to B&W and you can fit a lot of tents in the space. 

Also back in the day there were a lot who slept in acoustic or band tents 

7 minutes ago, tarw said:

Being the wrong side of 60 now Glastonbury and Shambala are the only places I can do that without looking like a nonce

Loving it.

I've just turned 60, the youth love it when us old gits show them up on the dance floor. At least that's my experience.

On 11/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, Leyrulion said:

They actively want the local villagers to use it, because in their view it keeps people on side. 

Also, I'm theory, it's only an extra 4 people per ticket. About 4k or so if everyone maxed it out. 

What is this local villager loophole? Because if there's a way I can easily buy a ticket for £750 or whatever the sum was I saw mentioned on another post about it, I'm up for it... Local villagers on the forum, feel free to slide into my DMs... 😄

Edited by dirtysteve
typo

17 minutes ago, tarw said:

I doubt anyone was posting about Worthy View 15-20 years ago, what with it not yet existing and all...

2 minutes ago, tarw said:

We holed up in the Acoustic Tent, in those days it had rows of wooden tiered seating a the back, perfect to get a kip, and a small cafe inside.

Any excuse to post this

2 hours ago, EavisAintDead said:

They removed pylon fields and the area behind the park in the last 2 years and didn't make any more space available for public camping

The turned staff camping in dairy and paines into public camping this year. 

The removal of river mead late on won't have helped with space this year. The entire east side of camping was full really quickly. 

9 minutes ago, tarw said:

There are still the majority in general but the proportion is changing. Campervans moved to B&W and you can fit a lot of tents in the space. 

Sticklinch is a revenue generator and I think the festival would rather they have that revenue than it disappear to neighbouring campsites.

6 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

What is this local villager loophole? Because if there's a way I can easily buy a ticket for £750 or whatever the sum was I saw mentioned on another post about it, I'm up for it... Local villagers on the forum, feel free to slide into my DMs... 😄

You can transfer the ticket to up to 5 different people by writing a different name on the back. 

Only one person is allowed to be on the festival at any one time on the ticket, you're meant to leave, write the others name on it and they then go in. 

What happens is they go in with you on another ticket, take your ticket off you. Then use it again whilst you're still in the festival.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Sticklinch is a revenue generator and I think the festival would rather they have that revenue than it disappear to neighbouring campsites.

Doesn’t that show that there is more demand for pre-erected which is what you were querying?

6 minutes ago, tarw said:

Doesn’t that show that there is more demand for pre-erected which is what you were querying?

There's more demand for something now it exists than there was before it existed, yes. 

The capacity of the festival has also increased, so general camping is still the same as it always was - some of the additional capacity has been catered for by pre-erected. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

How many people are in WV? Few thousand? 5k max? Sticklinch isn't bigger so even if it's the same size (it isn't) you're probably looking at less than 10% of all paying punters staying there.

It's hardly taking over.

The two sites combined have less capacity than the increase in tickets sold over the last few years, so numbers in general camping aren't any different. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

The two sites combined have less capacity than the increase in tickets sold over the last few years, so numbers in general camping aren't any different. 

Yea but that's just two.

This year as I drove from Glastonbury to Red gate it seemed that the last two miles, it was wall to wall offsite pre-pitched.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea but that's just two.

This year as I drove from Glastonbury to Red gate it seemed that the last two miles, it was wall to wall offsite pre-pitched.

The rest are all premium/glamping though. 

Smaller numbers more cash.