2025 R&L Festival

Chad888

Just now, northernangel said:

There isn't really a defence this, I'm not a fan at all really of This is why, they are a band that have moved one well for me personally. Just means while I think it's dud, I'm kinda just beyond Paramore now. Even when I listen some of the original stuff it's not got the same hit anymore. They were of today's kids generation because they were before my generation. But it's been 11 to 15 years since I would say they've done something worthy for me so when I was between 22 and 26 which figures.

I would be a bit surprised if Paramore headlined Reading next year, they've got the perfect gap to this year and that album will be in it's 3rd year.

Yeah that’s fair. I’m sort of the opposite, have only really gotten into them in the past couple of years so think that’s why I appreciate the newer stuff more

56 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah that’s fair. I’m sort of the opposite, have only really gotten into them in the past couple of years so think that’s why I appreciate the newer stuff more

I had a friend similar with FOB, he loves the later stuff over the early stuff which is not great for me.

People will say about selling more tickets but tickets have generally sold quicker and more expensive for people since covid.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

I would be a bit surprised if Paramore headlined Reading next year, they've got the perfect gap to this year and that album will be in it's 3rd year.

They are talking of a new era now that they've decided to go forward as an independent artist after the expiry of their contract with Atlantic, so I'm inclined to believe they'll have something ready to go for summer 2025. Could just be random singles, could be a full album, whatever.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

That's similar to me tbf in being a recent convert to their cause through what they're doing now. Wasn't fussed about some of the earlier stuff at first due to not being in that groove but saw that they had Bloc Party & Foals as support acts last year, who I do like, and did like the sonic territory of the This is Why singles when I gave them a spin, which lead me into discovering and liking more of what I found.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That's similar to me tbf in being a recent convert to their cause through what they're doing now. Wasn't fussed about some of the earlier stuff at first due to not being in that groove but saw that they had Bloc Party & Foals as support acts last year, who I do like, and did like the sonic territory of the This is Why singles when I gave them a spin, which lead me into discovering and liking more of what I found.

Bloc Party is another one where earlier stuff yes. Silent Alarm and A Weekend in the City. After that nope.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Hadn’t realised Foals supported them, that’s class. I remember one of the first things I thought when hearing This Is Why was how Foalsy it was.

5 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Hadn’t realised Foals supported them, that’s class. I remember one of the first things I thought when hearing This Is Why was how Foalsy it was.

Only is the US. I know Bloc Party was their main support here last April, which is part of why I was bummed out not to make the trip to it.

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

Bloc Party is another one where earlier stuff yes. Silent Alarm and A Weekend in the City. After that nope.

I think Bloc Party have quite a few good songs on releases since A Weekend in the City, but there is a lot of guff you have to get through to find them.

4 hours ago, RedJosh said:

I think Bloc Party have quite a few good songs on releases since A Weekend in the City, but there is a lot of guff you have to get through to find them.

Will note that when I saw Bloc Party in Manchester in 2019 that the only post-AWitC songs they did were Flux (if that counts) and Ratchet.

I recall some of the stuff on Four actually being pretty good tbf. Octopus and We're Not Good People have decent riffs to it.

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

Will note that when I saw Bloc Party in Manchester in 2019 that the only post-AWitC songs they did were Flux (if that counts) and Ratchet.

I recall some of the stuff on Four actually being pretty good tbf. Octopus and We're Not Good People have decent riffs to it.

I think Kettling and Truth are good from Four as well. All four tracks they put out on The High Life EP last year are good and I like Traps, You Should Know The Truth, In Situ and If We Get Caught from Alpha Games. Ratchet is definitely their best song not on the first two albums (I'm counting FLux as part of AWitC).

I've never seen them live without at least 65% of the setlist being made from the first two albums though to be fair.

Edited by RedJosh

On 2/24/2024 at 2:48 PM, Andre91 said:

They’re an arena band forever. Their stock isn’t dropping that much. 

Biffy to me are the new Stereophonics. They won't headline the major festivals (maybe Isle of wight) and Download (with a suitable undercard for them) but don't think they'll be first priority I can see them headlining the medium sized festivals like Y Not etc and they'll still carry on Being a arena sized band. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Upvote 2

That's Biffy's problem. They're yet to secure the crossover depth with Radio 2 that Stereophonics enjoy. The latter can reliably sell out a full UK arena tour with little problem. Biffy got smart with their last run - skipped a few major markets, and plumped for a few smaller arenas, and delivered a resulting full house, I believe.

If we remained in twin main-stage era, then I think you could get them as a secondary option again and again and again. But regardless of how they bill it this year, we're likely looking at three artists playing seventy-five minutes under three more playing ninety minutes. It's a glorified sub slot. 

Do Biffy take that? Do R+L want them? Who knows. I love 'em to pieces, but... they seem to be in a rock and a hard place.

17 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That's Biffy's problem. They're yet to secure the crossover depth with Radio 2 that Stereophonics enjoy. The latter can reliably sell out a full UK arena tour with little problem. Biffy got smart with their last run - skipped a few major markets, and plumped for a few smaller arenas, and delivered a resulting full house, I believe.

If we remained in twin main-stage era, then I think you could get them as a secondary option again and again and again. But regardless of how they bill it this year, we're likely looking at three artists playing seventy-five minutes under three more playing ninety minutes. It's a glorified sub slot. 

Do Biffy take that? Do R+L want them? Who knows. I love 'em to pieces, but... they seem to be in a rock and a hard place.

They would 100% take it

they did in 2021 ... as a back up too!

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

They would 100% take it

they did in 2021 ... as a back up too!

In the dual headliner era, absolutely. But I think with the return of a single main-stage, folk will cotton on fast that it isn't really equal billing anymore, no matter how you dress it up.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

In the dual headliner era, absolutely. But I think with the return of a single main-stage, folk will cotton on fast that it isn't really equal billing anymore, no matter how you dress it up.

not sure it matters if they are getting paid

it may change eventually to like 3-4 headliners (2 + a cohead night) anyway

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Maybe. Guess that's it at the end of the day, or how they kid themselves.

defo

hope they do hold out as they are crap anyway!

44 minutes ago, gfa said:

not sure it matters if they are getting paid

it may change eventually to like 3-4 headliners (2 + a cohead night) anyway

Yup, they’ll just rotate back to how it was pre the two main stage era.

4-5 headliners next year, 4 the next year, then 4-5 etc…

Ultimately it gives the flexibility to bring in the likes of Halsey, MTS, Foals, CATBM to support other smaller headliners alongside the likes of Foo fighters etc who don’t need another big name to sell their day

…while they can also offer a proper large alternative on the second stage, bringing back some proper counter programming to further add value

On 3/7/2024 at 6:13 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's not a two main stage era now really, this year had clesrly moved intoa big stage for dance acts and a main stage with two headliners on each day eradicating the crossover. They have done what European festivals do essentailly.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:57 PM, WhoOdyssey said:

Yungblud has announced a Milton Keynes Bowl show for August, with quite a stacked lineup.

If this turns out to be a success, would this make it possible that he's in the mix for headlining R&L next year? Or do we think he could just make this more of a thing.

19 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If this turns out to be a success, would this make it possible that he's in the mix for headlining R&L next year? Or do we think he could just make this more of a thing.

He already played a big arena tour. I think he’s very much in the running to headline, even before this.