Mad Cool 2024

MK1

12 minutes ago, Bazac450 said:

fascinated to know what was the reason for the delay (which artist pulled out) and if it was The Killers or Maneskin called in as plan B 

My bet would be The Killers, given than Maneskin are playing all over, and were already predicted.

The Killers played Mad Cool just two years ago and don't appear to be playing other festivals, but are (semi-)conveniently in the UK just before this date.

it could have been worst guys, could have been Ed sheeran or Nicky Minaj.... and the good thing about no more than one big headliner is that you are going to see Pearl jam with no worries about missing another big band because they play at the same time...

Edited by knarf

2 minutes ago, knarf said:

it could have been worst guys, could have been Ed sheeran or Nicky Minaj.... and the good thing about no more than one big headliner is that you are going to see Pearl jam with no worries about missing another big band because they play at the same time...

Between the possibility to catch Ed Sheeran at a decent price during a festival and The Killers so often on tour, I'd honestly have prefered the Scottish singer...

As someone coming across the pond for the first time for this fest, I'm pretty content with this lineup. I don't want to be overwhelmed with acts nonstop and would like a relaxing experience. Big fan of all 4 headliners so thats good with me. 

I was planning on catching the Killers at O2 Arena the week before but might opt against that now. Really curious if the Killers filled in for another act or not though. 

2 hours ago, birchtree29 said:

It would’ve looked a lot stronger this year if it was only 3 days. Friday looks super weak to be fair

I copped a bit of flak earlier for saying the same thing but in all honesty, it isn't worth the metro fare. Id rather potter round the city. The metro crush, the walk to and from the station, toilet queues etc is not worth it for Maneskin and co. The new location is not a nice place to be, so you have to REALLY want to be there.

I could envisage going for Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, skipping Friday and then going back out on the Saturday for an oul sing song of Mr Brightside and Naive.

Edited by Drums Please Fab

This is an incredible fall from grace. I attended in 2018 and can't believe this is what they're serving up 6 years later. I understand that there aren't as many big hitters on the circuit as usual this summer but still, this is absolutely abysmal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, Bazac450 said:

fascinated to know what was the reason for the delay (which artist pulled out) and if it was The Killers or Maneskin called in as plan B 

Not sure who it was that pulled out, but can confirm that the Killers were the late addition as others have suspected.

14 hours ago, c82588 said:

Not sure who it was that pulled out, but can confirm that the Killers were the late addition as others have suspected.

Feel as though The Killers are the go-to booking when festivals have somebody pull out or are simply just struggling to sort a headliner. 

Big enough to warrant a headline slot at most but I've never known of them being a big swing in anybody's decision to attend a festival. The spag bol of bookings

2 hours ago, BOBBY_FIRMINO said:

Feel as though The Killers are the go-to booking when festivals have somebody pull out or are simply just struggling to sort a headliner. 

Big enough to warrant a headline slot at most but I've never known of them being a big swing in anybody's decision to attend a festival. The spag bol of bookings

I agree, I'd just add that while they might not be the biggest pull (and neither am I their biggest fan), they certainly know how to pull off a headline show. A very good spag bol of bookings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOBBY_FIRMINO said:

gimme them and not macklamore again 🤨

6 hours ago, BOBBY_FIRMINO said:

While I agree…..I always find myself huddled amongst the sweaty proletariat beer in hand singing “I’ve got soul but I’m not a soldier” at the top of my voice. It’s a feel good way to end a festival night for sure. 

“All These Things That I Have Done” and Mr Brightside would be in the conversation for greatest Anthems of 2000-2010 era. Alongside the likes of Wake Up or Seven Nation Army.

As a break glass in case of emergency booking, I have no issue. They were a staple of my 20’s then became my mother’s favourite band when Human came out and now they have been relegated to guilty pleasure status in my library. 

A bit like the two different Kings of Leon’s. 

First 3 Albums are stellar. Couple of songs about prostitutes , rapist priests, erectile dysfunction, orgies in the Columbia Hotel and Rachel Bilson.

Album 4 onwards catered to the generation of my younger sisters.

If only they knew Arizona was about falling in love with a brasser.

The Halcyon days.

Edited by Drums Please Fab

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

Does anyone know how to travel to the city after the festival finishes in the evening/early morn? Which stations are open/trains are running/where do buses go to?

Metro station Vilaverde Alto on yellow line is nearest. It doesn’t stop at every stop though after the festival. They try to streamline it by making it “express” so they skip some stops. 

Think we had to jump out at Embajadores and walk to Lavapies from there.

I could not find taxis or shuttle buses after the festival last year on any night. It was a mess.

1 hour ago, Stuielooie said:

Does anyone know how to travel to the city after the festival finishes in the evening/early morn? Which stations are open/trains are running/where do buses go to?

The new location is off putting. I really didn’t enjoy it last year. It was a slog and it wasn’t a “vibe” in the festival or around it.

5 hours ago, Stuielooie said:

The shuttle buses were plentiful and frequent, at least towards the end of the night. They stopped at Atocha station last year, with a few stops in the way (can't remember specifically as Atocha was our stop). Some people struggled to find them for some reason but they really weren't far from the metro stop. Just had to carry on straight rather than turning off the main road down to the metro. They put loads on, we never queued for more than 10-15 minutes even when the queue seemed massive.

And I really wouldn't say the vibe was as bad as some here and on Facebook have made out. It was a pretty standard festival setup, not really any cool/interesting bits like Glastonbury or any number of boutique festivals, but pretty much exactly like something like Leeds / Download etc, except the grass was fake and the sun was guaranteed - a fair trade IMHO! If you like the acts you'll have a great time.

2 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

The shuttle buses were plentiful and frequent, at least towards the end of the night. They stopped at Atocha station last year, with a few stops in the way (can't remember specifically as Atocha was our stop). Some people struggled to find them for some reason but they really weren't far from the metro stop. Just had to carry on straight rather than turning off the main road down to the metro. They put loads on, we never queued for more than 10-15 minutes even when the queue seemed massive.

And I really wouldn't say the vibe was as bad as some here and on Facebook have made out. It was a pretty standard festival setup, not really any cool/interesting bits like Glastonbury or any number of boutique festivals, but pretty much exactly like something like Leeds / Download etc, except the grass was fake and the sun was guaranteed - a fair trade IMHO! If you like the acts you'll have a great time.

It was too small for the capacity. Everything was a hassle compared to the old location. Getting a beer or using the toilet for example. There were massive bars with 20 beer taps and half of them unmanned. It was bizarre.

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

It was too small for the capacity. Everything was a hassle compared to the old location. Getting a beer or using the toilet for example. There were massive bars with 20 beer taps and half of them unmanned. It was bizarre.

Oh yeah agree with you the toilet situation was a bit of a disaster. Seemed to be more an organisational issue than a space one tho, down to their bizarre decision to have everyone shuffle through a single entrance/exit point. Once you got through that bottleneck (admittedly a nightmare) there were usually plenty of free loos. If they restructure (and they'd be fools not to) it should be fine.  

Have to say didn't really have any issues with the bars, although they were rammed once it got to headline time. No problems throughout the day, if a bar had a big queue the next one was never that far away. Sounds like a few more/better bar staff would sort it based on your description, so hopefully another easy fix.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, birchtree29 said:

Not yet. She cancelled Coachella in April but is in the lineup for Lollapalooza Chicago which is August

Good to know! When do you think they will releases the schedules?